Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2013, 11:27 AM   #1

Convenience center panel material

I'm re-doing the whole area where the slide switches, tank gauges, etc are located. I will need a whole sheet of that black plastic material used to mount everything in.

Anyone know of a source of that stuff? I'd prefer to make a template of what I need (my own design) and send it off to be cut out (switch holes, etc) and also have labels for each item etched in, similar to the way FR does the original panel.

I have added two new "sub panels" and the whole thing looks a little tacky as it's currently configured.

Thanks

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:11 PM   #2

Perhaps a place that does awards and trophy's might have the laminate you need and also do the etching.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
I'm re-doing the whole area where the slide switches, tank gauges, etc are located. I will need a whole sheet of that black plastic material used to mount everything in.

Anyone know of a source of that stuff? I'd prefer to make a template of what I need (my own design) and send it off to be cut out (switch holes, etc) and also have labels for each item etched in, similar to the way FR does the original panel.

I have added two new "sub panels" and the whole thing looks a little tacky as it's currently configured.

Thanks

Boowho??
What did you add that you needed two sub panels? Just being nose(y) in case I need to keep up with the Jones'... :-)
Old 10-07-2013, 05:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJM4 View Post
What did you add that you needed two sub panels? Just being nose(y) in case I need to keep up with the Jones'... :-)
Sure.... I added a larger/smarter control panel for the Magnum inverter/charger plus an upgraded tanks/propane/batt monitoring system.

It's a See Level system and is VERY accurate when installed correctly. DW was tired of never knowing exactly what our tank levels are.

Boowho??
Old 10-07-2013, 05:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Perhaps a place that does awards and trophy's might have the laminate you need and also do the etching.

That is certainly a thought...... Thanks.

Boowho??
Old 10-07-2013, 05:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Sure.... I added a larger/smarter control panel for the Magnum Inverter/charger plus a ungraded tanks/propane/batt monitoring system. It's a See Level system and is VERY accurate when installed correctly. DW was tired of never knowing exactly what our tank levels are. Boowho??
I had that system in my last motorhome and loved it!!!! Been wanting to upgrade my new berkshire but wasn't sure how difficult it would be. Did u use the current systems wiring or redo it all? Any info would be great on the upgrade. Thanks!!!

Jason
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:23 PM   #7

http://www.totalplastics.com/

They have several locations in the USA.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTN8 View Post
I had that system in my last motorhome and loved it!!!! Been wanting to upgrade my new berkshire but wasn't sure how difficult it would be. Did u use the current systems wiring or redo it all? Any info would be great on the upgrade. Thanks!!!

Jason
Exceptionally easy install. Uses existing wiring; you only need two wires (signal and ground) for ALL the tanks; NOT two wires per tank. Each sender is "programmed" to be either fresh, gray or black by cutting a "trace" on the sender.

Since the senders are programmed thusly all three are tied together in the compartment and all three send their data on the same two wires.

You will need to know a little info on wiring so you get the right color wire matched to a second right colored wire.

Boowho??
Old 10-07-2013, 07:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJM4 View Post

Also, Earl..... besides what I mentioned earlier, as long as I'm doing this, I'm going to change the stupid order of the slide out switches.

On my coach, the bedroom slides are controlled by two switches toward the FRONT of the coach, while the LR slide switches are toward the REAR. How dumb is that?

I'd be like eating a piece of pie starting at the outer crust and ending up at the center point.

Boowho??
Old 10-07-2013, 07:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTN8 View Post

Jason
Jason, I should have added that the installation/owners manual is available on the 'net. Also, if you get serious and need help with the wiring, I can post pics of how I wired it all.

Boowho??
Old 10-07-2013, 07:35 PM   #11

I'm with you... Luckily mine were installed in the correct order....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:21 PM   #12

Boowho,

You can use Microsoft Word or a CADD program to design and layout your panel. If you have all the switch and buttons information you can go on line to most of the manufactures and download their drawing and dimensions. Most are a standard cutout for various switches.
You might consider getting the Nomenclature silkscreened on whatever you decide for a control panel.

The plastic material and perhaps the cutting might be available at:
Johnson Plastics - Engraving Home
There are many vendors that offer this service.
Just a thought.

GOOD LUCK
AREA51
AREA51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Jason, I should have added that the installation/owners manual is available on the 'net. Also, if you get serious and need help with the wiring, I can post pics of how I wired it all.

Boowho??

Wait, you may want to think twice before getting help from me!! After everything working fine for over a day, now pretty much everything on the second row of switches (including the new gauges) have quit working. No water pump, no tank heater, no gas water heater.

I'm stumped; I've asked Randy H for a wiring diagram, but haven't heard back yet. Any REAL experts here have a clue?? It's not a fuse problem, BTW.

Anyone??

Boowho??
Old 10-08-2013, 05:43 PM   #14
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Sounds like the ground or common may have come loose.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
Sounds like the ground or common may have come loose.
Thanks for that tip. I checked for 12V on every pin in the harness for those switch items. The only pin that registered "hot" for 12V in the whole harness was connected to the two way switch for the overhead LR lights.

I had the black prod on my meter connected to a ground wire in the same harness.

It would appear to me that I have somehow lost 12V + power to that harness. I just don't know where to start looking. Apparently, no two coaches from FR are identical and because of this nothing is written down with regard to cable location.

I have a wire tracer, so will try connecting the sender of it to the harness on the 12V fuse panel. Anyone know if there is more than one location for 12V fuses on the 2011 Berk 390?? I have one inside the left side outside door panel by the driver's seat, but could there be others??

Any other thought?

Boowho??
Old 10-09-2013, 03:58 PM   #16

Most of my fuses are in front outside compartment drivers side,,,, Compartment in front of propane tank....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:56 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
Most of my fuses are in front outside compartment drivers side,,,, Compartment in front of propane tank....
Thanks..... Yeah, I just checked again and I DID have a blown fuse. Not sure how I missed it before, but that was in fact the problem.

Why the fuse failed so long after I'd finished the install is anyone's guess. Hopefully, it won't blow again.

So...... Now having gained my confidence back, if anyone needs pics of how the installation goes, I'll be happy to post.

Boowho??
Old 10-10-2013, 06:02 PM   #18

Please put on a photo of your upgrade ... would love to see it
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote