Old 06-27-2013, 12:26 PM   #1
Count your blessings

Folks, times are tough and we are VERY fortunate to have our coaches and be living as well as we are.

Between the 15th of June and today, I've run 2700+ miles across the country. Durango, CO to Elkhart, IN and back to Sturgis, SD. No, not going to the rally..... Heading to Idaho for the rest of the summer.

Years ago (as few as 5-6) the three interstates (I-70, I-80 and I-90) crossing the great plains were literally awash in motorhomes, 5-ers, and TTs this time of year.

In 2700 miles, I've seen less than 50 campers total!!!

Are we in bad shape or what?? Please.... no political comments.... It's not my intention to lay blame for this situation. OF COURSE, I have my opinions, but will keep them to myself.

boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:36 PM   #2
Will be trekking from TN to WA via Disneyland come this July. It could be timing with people nowadays. My duty Navy with four boys under 9 yes old. Have to schedule around a schedule.

2013 Palomino Sabre 34 TBOK
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD SRW CrewCab SB
B&W Companion
demoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:49 PM   #3
They must all be going to the GULF in Fl. I cant get a reservation for anythig less than 6 mo to 1 year out.
2007 Chevy 2500 HD 6.6
2012 Sabre 31RETS
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:52 PM   #4
I think it really depends on who you ask...I work in a field that goes up and down with the economy to some degree. We deal with engineered equipment in the power, petrochemical, Bio and Refining markets. Those folks are always spending money....projects that were on hold back in 2007 are now being re ignited. Everyone in these markets say its the best its been in years. If you go down to the local fab shop they have a much different view on things. Most everyone has been affected by the slowdown however...automotive and manufacturing seems to have taken the biggest hit. Blame it on what ever or who ever you want but the american lust for cheap junk is the primary culprit in my opinion. Dont know if you heard this...just a few days ago some NE news paper did a poll of how many people live paycheck to paycheck and its close to 78%. No matter how much these people make I feel this number would be about the same no matter what the economy is doing.

Plenty of RV's in my neck of the woods....I have seen a large volume of most every Friday afternoon on my way home from work.
2011 Coachmen Catalina 28DDS
2015 Ram Bighorn 2500 6.4L
Nights Camped 2015: 28
ryand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #5
Might have been just the stretch of I80 you were on because I run it about once week for work I see probably 10-20 campers on a 80 mile trip. And actually I think I see more and more all the time. Maybe it's just certain areas. I don't know.
2012 Sandstorm 203slc
2013 Toyota Tundra
Eqil-l-izer hitch,Prodigy P3
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:10 PM   #6
Originally Posted by h20ski View Post
They must all be going to the GULF in Fl. I cant get a reservation for anythig less than 6 mo to 1 year out.
Every campground I've pulled into the last few weeks has plenty of openings, even after 6:00 PM. Maybe they're all coming to the Gulf because of the heavy advertising being done by British Petroleum??

Also the narrow gauge railroad in Durango, which is pretty much a world class attraction (lots of Europeans come here and for many it's a "must see"), was running at about 50% capacity two weeks ago. There was a time when if you weren't reserved at least 6 months out, you weren't riding.

boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:26 PM   #7
daydreaming about camping
AAA recent estimate was that more people than ever before would travel this July 4th, but that they were not travelling as far. I know people who just look at closer options than travelling far away. We are leaving Saturday for a one week trip to Colorado. Round trip will be right around 2300 miles. We have budgeted $920 for diesel and already agreed we will not go back next year simply because of the cost of fuel. It is what it is.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:43 PM   #8
It's hard to get reservations at a "good" CG here, need to reserve way ahead of time, but see alot of campers on the road here all the time, make the trip down to Ft. Wayne Ind. about once a month to visit our kids, not a lack of campers at all. I think unfortunitly where owning a camper, TT did not used to be expensive some years ago, that has changed.
2008 Silverado 5.3 tow package
2013 Roo 25rs
2014 nites booked 10
Truth B Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:50 PM   #9
We took a trip from upstate NY to D.C. in April, and I couldn't believe how many large 5th wheels and diesel pusher motorhomes we passed on the road. I was thinking just the opposite of the OP - somebody must be doing well! We were fortunate enough to upgrade the 13 year old popup this spring at the RV show (no diesel motorhome yet, though), and the dealer said it was the best year they ever had at the show (since the early 70's).

We have also seen over the last few years that reservations are tough to come by at many places. It sure feels like the economy is pretty bad, but the RV industry and camping in general seems to be doing well.

2005 F-150 FX4
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:53 PM   #10
Going back to the title. I do count my blessings. I have also been watching Coaches, TT, etc going down the highway. There are a lot that are being pulled by transport companies. I just did a stretch between KC and east central Illinois on Rt 36 and I-72/74. There were many, didn't get a count. I know that he dealer who my wife works for sold 16 TT's in 12 days around their Grand Reopening. They sold both new and used. So, knowing that myself or anyone else who is happily employed could be standing in a completely different line tomorrow, I count my blessings daily.

2007 Ford F250 4x4 Harley-Davidson Powerstroke
2006 Cedar Creek Silverback - 35 LRLBS
(2012 -11) (2013 - 10 so far)
crushor is offline   Reply With Quote