Old 08-28-2016, 05:48 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-RV View Post
How do you all deal with vehicles entering the highway when you are travelling the shoulder lane

Yes, when I see a vehicle ahead that will be merging onto the highway, I will move over to the left if I can. However many times I cannot and many times the entering vehicle comes along side and just keeps pushing over.

I do not about you, but I was taught that whenever you change lanes, you must yield to any vehicles in that lane, since they have the right-away. The universal lane merge sign that shows the right lane ending should have the iconic yield sign embedded in it.

I lost count of how many times merging vehicles at a slower speed then I am, just come out and cut you off.

Hank

Hank what I do around the big city's, and what saved me in my reason for this thread, is travel in the middle lane when there are three lanes. If more than 3 lanes then I travel in the second from the right lane. Most of the issues I've experienced with merging traffic is around the larger cities. Away from the big cities I'm 62 in the right lane, which is my moniker.

62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 06:06 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
One piece of advice I was given in regards to dash cams. Turn the speed recording off. If you are in a acorns it shows you were even going a few miles over there is no since in incriminating yourself.
You don't think they can figure out your speed just by timing the trees and such going by? It's not rocket science.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 06:16 PM   #33
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
You don't think they can figure out your speed just by timing the trees and such going by? It's not rocket science.
Very simple process to determine exact speed by timing "known distance" white lines on the road, or anything else that you can use to calculate distance.

But, if you think the dashcam video looks bad for you then remember it's your property. I don't think you can be forced to turn it over to whomever. If LE or others notice the cam just say it doesn't work.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 07:54 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post

I'm not talking about speeding 15 or twenty over. Even if 5 mph over it could cause issues if it shows you were exceeding the speed limit. Whatever do what you want. I really don't think it's a point to argue. I was given that advice and I thought it was sound. If you don't then ignore it. As for it being my property if I let them know I have it it's because I'm using the camera data to prove fault. I would freely give it to them. If it's my fault it will go in the cupboard.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:57 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
I'm not talking about speeding 15 or twenty over. Even if 5 mph over it could cause issues if it shows you were exceeding the speed limit. Whatever do what you want. I really don't think it's a point to argue. I was given that advice and I thought it was sound. If you don't then ignore it. As for it being my property if I let them know I have it it's because I'm using the camera data to prove fault. I would freely give it to them. If it's my fault it will go in the cupboard.
I agree. I invested in my dash cam to protect me from others not to protect others from me. They can buy their own!
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:11 AM   #36
Site Team - Lou

As to merging traffic, remember that "Poor planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part."

I move over if safe; I will adjust my speed if possible; otherwise they are in the gravel if they don't know how to merge.

Trying to swerve or panic brake with a trailer will make things a lot worse, really fast.

I thought about the speed bug encoded on the camera. I considered turning it off, but in the end, it is my video and I can use it or not depending on what it shows.

Better to have it and not use it; than wish I had it.

If I am at fault, they could get a warrant for the video, I suppose, but unless excessive speed was a factor in the mishap, I doubt it will be needed.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:39 AM   #37

After having my Dash Cam's hooked up and working for just over a week now, I can say I like them. I pulled the card out and put it in my laptop to check what they were seeing and I am impressed with the video. I still haven't figured out every thing yet, but I will be tweaking them as I go. Just out of the box they work fine.
I bought mine from ebay and paid $25.99 each with no shipping. I didn't want the cheapest one, but didn't want to get a very expensive one incase of thief so I went with the ones I bought. We are leaving on a week vacation driving the car, and not taking the MH so we will be checking them out even more next week. After we get home I plan on buying two more for my truck.
The one I bought looks good and has a 3 inch screen for viewing, or has a cable to hook it up to your computer. I didn't like the manual, the print was so small that I needed a magnifying glass to read it and it was hard to under stand what they were saying. I rewrote the manual to where I could read it with larger print with pictures and changed some of the wording to under stand it better.
The only down side was that I had to buy Micro SD cards to use in them. I bought 16 GB cards from Walmart for $8. to $9. each. I could have bought 8 Gb cards for a lot less but wanted to make sure I was able to store plenty of video. With SD card and camera the price is only $34 to $35 dollars each. Peace of mind Priceless.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:55 AM   #38
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
As to merging traffic, remember that "Poor planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part."

I move over if safe; I will adjust my speed if possible; otherwise they are in the gravel if they don't know how to merge.

Trying to swerve or panic brake with a trailer will make things a lot worse, really fast.

I thought about the speed bug encoded on the camera. I considered turning it off, but in the end, it is my video and I can use it or not depending on what it shows.

Better to have it and not use it; than wish I had it.

If I am at fault, they could get a warrant for the video, I suppose, but unless excessive speed was a factor in the mishap, I doubt it will be needed.
Just hand over a new blank card. When they say there's nothing on it just say you have a really cheap camera so it probably didn't work.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 12:00 PM   #39

I'd think they'd need a search warrant, but maybe not. Any lawyers out there?

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:42 AM   #40

Received my dash cam this weekend installed it and used it last night coming home I was very impressed with the performance. Even in total darkness images were very clear. I wish my cameras on the RV were that good.

Wayne