Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2016, 02:59 PM   #1

Crazy Distracted / Impaired Driver Close Calls

As of today I have been on the road 42 days!😎 In those 42 days I've had one close calls and would have resulted in a bad accident had I not been paying attention and been a bit lucky. Another close call came on I-90 in South Dakota when an 18 wheeler almost took my driver's side mirror off. Had I not backed off and hit the brakes he would have. He come into my lane about 2ft before he woke up and got back in his lane.

The really bad close call happened this past Saturday traveling east on I-80 in Nebraska I noticed a car sitting on the shoulder at the very end of an entrance ramp. While approaching the end of the ramp I noticed a car accelerating to merge and then at the last instant the car on the shoulder pulled out in front of the car trying to merge. I was in the middle lane and hit the brakes hard just as the accelerating car swerved into my lane to avoid hitting the idiot
pulling onto an interstate lane doing
about 10 mph. The accelerating car missed hitting my front end by maybe 10ft. and ended up in the outside lane just gaining control before going into the median! 😱

After about 2 miles the car that almost caused a bad accident went
flying by with the driver yacking
on the phone!😡 My daughter tells me I need to get a dash camera to protect myself. After this trip I may just do that.

That's the closest call, this trip, however in 3,500 miles I have seen some really stupid distracted driving. Anyone else have a close call this year, caused by a distracted driver?
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 03:15 PM   #2

Yea, his past weekend on the way to the campground a car had been stopped on the side of the road, we were going 60 - 65 miph, and the car with less than 50 feet between us pulled out, we had to slam on the breaks, there was two cars in the other lane so there was no moving over for us. Then on the way home from a nice campout another car flips a u right in front of us and moves into our lane again we can't move over. Do these people really think you can stop a rig on a dime??

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 03:50 PM   #3

Close calls. Glad everyone is safe. I just got a dash cam for that reason. Now I need to figure out how to use it.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 03:58 PM   #4

Take care with what others wish upon you, it can bite just as hard as it can help.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Close calls. Glad everyone is safe. I just got a dash cam for that reason. Now I need to figure out how to use it.
I'm with ya! My daughter is in insurance and she tells me I need one to protect myself from people that get in accidents to make money! Why anyone would take that chance to make money is beyond me but the world is full of i̶d̶i̶o̶t̶s̶ Um, I mean distracted people.
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 04:59 PM   #6

Obviously dash cams can't protect you from physical injury but they can save you from financial injury. If an accident happens, there can be significant differences in perception of the events leading to the accident. I found out the hard way that my "word" didn't count any more than the guy who rammed my car.

He claimed that I pulled in front of him while I made a left turn. In reality he was stopped on the side of the road when I started the turn. He accelerated into the right side of my car. I got a ticket because he supposedly had the right of way.

I'm convinced he did it on purpose but had/have no way of proving that he was pulled over and stopped. If I had a dash cam, I could have had him arrested for ramming us.

I don't drive a car without at least one dash cam running.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:15 PM   #7

Yes dash cams almost a must these day. I have two: one forward and one looking behind truck......too many close calls over the years....
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:59 PM   #8

I drive the interstates in and around St. Louis to get to work. I have seen Chicago, LA, and San Fran. They have a multiplier on STL.

I had traveled past a van that had been on the shoulder of the interstate for over one week. One morning I was traveling in the direction that took me past that van. The youngster in front of me was doing the makeup thing and drifting over the white line regularly. I kept my distance as I had to be in this lane for the second exit.

Sure enough, the drivers pattern did not change and I moved one lane to the left approaching the van. She miraculously glanced off of the left rear corner of the the van van and came over 1 and a half lanes. I did my best and crowded the third lane to miss her.

Bottom line. The driver gassed it to the next exit and was lost from my sight. The MO state policeman to my left wagged his finger at me with anger. Seems I blocked his view of what was going on.

My take away from this is, the shoulder is not safe.

We civilized this country, got rid of the big bears and cats. Consequently we have people around us that should not be here.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:14 PM   #9

I highly recommend a dash cam. Insurance companies WILL ALWAYS side with what their insured party says. NO MATTER HOW SILLYOR ILLOGICAL WHAT THEY SAY IS!

The best unaltered (free of street lawyer input) statement is in a police report shortly after the incident happens. What happens when someone goes home is they call people. They go to forums. They get very poor advice on what to do. When they call their insurance adjustertheir story is even more innocent from the time they called the claims representative. The insurance adjustor has to takend there word, and side with their insured in their findings. If not THEY LOSE THEIR CUSTOMER. Both insurance companies then submit their findings of fault and percentages due from the other insurance company. They rarely agree. These claims are then sent to arbitration who then decides which company should pay more. (51/49, 80/20, 99/1, etc). This is all done behind the scenes from you.

The one silent, and true witness is a video camera. It is free of human nature and shows waht happened (in front of the camera of course). Yes, it can "screw you" somewhat after the fact simply because you cannot embellish, skew, or make up the facts.

For the most part, RV'ers do not create havoc on the roadway. We are pulling a significant investment and have a vested interst at arriving at our destination without incidents (ie your vacation). We generally don't do the stupid stuff on the road and it sure is nice to had over a recording to the police and insurance showing you were minding your own business and Rickey Bobby is the cause of all of the mayhem.

2016 nights camped = 17
2017 nights camped = 4
Chpusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:15 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Driving to Bristol this past weekend on highway 81, we were following a semi that was all over the road. At one point he was inches from hitting the guard rail on the right at the top of a steep incline. He straightened out and less than a mile later he swerved out of the right lane across the left lane, into the shoulder and almost hit the median. When he got it under control, we found a straight away with a good left shoulder and flew past the truck. Turns out he was texting. Really?
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:58 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Was parked at a friends having lunch and we heard a loud crash. No tire squeals or other noises; just a huge "boom". Since he lives under the approach path to runway 24 at Allentown airport, we immediately though plane crash.

Nope, old couple just back from grocery shopping plowed into the rear of a lawn service trailer parked next door. Distracted or blind the driver failed to see it parked on the shoulder unloading. The two lawn service kids escaped with their lives by seconds and the old couple survived but were taken to the hospital.

He hit the trailer at about 55 MPH under power bounced off onto its side and then back onto its wheels. The truck sheared the parking pawl on the transmission and it rolled down the slight incline gathering steam until it left the road and stopped in some bushes 3 houses down.

I had left the dashcam on and caught this...

If you look between the truck and the trailer you will see the Explorer coming to rest on its wheels. Then the rear end of the Explorer facing the camera after the trailer rolls by.
Attached Files
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post
Yes dash cams almost a must these day. I have two: one forward and one looking behind truck......too many close calls over the years....

X2

2014 cedar creek 36ckts
2014 Chevy 3500 1 ton crew cab 4x4 long bed.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
cfiowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 12:52 PM   #13

In this day and age, Dashcams are almost a must. I believe it saved me from a lawsuit. A lawyer in a BMW (yes he had a personalized license plate saying he was one), tried to bully his way into my lane, as we are stuck - not moving - in traffic. He just kept coming over into my lane expecting me to go onto the left shoulder or something. Again, we aren't moving!! I honked at him on the off chance he actually didn't see my big truck and trailer. He kept edging over. He hit the front tire of my truck and started screaming and yelling about calling the cops, because I put a dent in his fender. I just pointed to my dashcam and he rolled his window back up and began acting like a civil driver. I'm sure it was insurance fraud, but because of the dashcam, I wasn't one of his victims. Amazing.

I saved the file to the dashcam, just in case.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 01:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben31 View Post
In this day and age, Dashcams are almost a must. I believe it saved me from a lawsuit. A lawyer in a BMW (yes he had a personalized license plate saying he was one), tried to bully his way into my lane, as we are stuck - not moving - in traffic. He just kept coming over into my lane expecting me to go onto the left shoulder or something. Again, we aren't moving!! I honked at him on the off chance he actually didn't see my big truck and trailer. He kept edging over. He hit the front tire of my truck and started screaming and yelling about calling the cops, because I put a dent in his fender. I just pointed to my dashcam and he rolled his window back up and began acting like a civil driver. I'm sure it was insurance fraud, but because of the dashcam, I wasn't one of his victims. Amazing.

I saved the file to the dashcam, just in case.
sounds good....can you recommend one???or a link to buy one???

thanks in advance...
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 01:36 PM   #15

With the multi-tasking that takes place by people behind the wheel, it's as if driving itself is a distraction.
https://www.glenphotos.com
WatkinsGlenCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 02:17 PM   #16

My favorite bumper sticker states - "Could you drive any better with that phone stuck up you *****? And yes I have a dash cam.
johnruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 02:38 PM   #17

I live near a major tourist destination. Many are seen as 'tourons', half tourist and half moron. It takes a lot to get me there under any circumstances. Once saw a touron in the far right lane decide he had to make a left ~ across 5 lanes of traffic. He was hit twice going against the flow then once from the other direction.
It seems many like to do a cut-off and pull in front of you no matter the speed ~~ and often slow down or turn right. Not only the habit of tourons as this happens everywhere. I cannot understand why someone in a Prius decides to cut off a big rig other than jealousy or stupidity ~~ possibly both. That happened today on a 3 lane highway where there were few vehicles in sight.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 02:44 PM   #18

The tonnage rule is ALWAYS in effect...
windsurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 03:04 PM   #19

Just bought cam's for the front and back of my wife's car and will be buying them for my truck soon.
I have been hit in the rear twice while stopped at stop lights and know for sure the second person that hit me was on the phone.
Had 2 drunk drivers in the past year trying to play lane changing while driving with no idea where they were. Called the police on the first one that caught up with him just as he ran a red light and t-boned a car.
Wife was hit in the rear at a traffic light and the guy that hit her drove off.
yes, the cam's won't keep us from getting hit, but will help put the blame where it belongs.
E-bay and Amazon are the best places to go for dash cams. You can find cheap cams for $10. and up. Although I don't recommend the cheap camera, but try to check reviews. The 2 that I bought had a 4 page manual with it that I could hardly read. The English was poor, so it made it harder to read. I ended up writing a new manual for it with pictures so I would know how it works.
Before next vacation, I'll have these installed in our MH also.
Wattsworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 03:58 PM   #20

Good grief!!!! I don't think I want to ride with you... Lol !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote