Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2015, 12:09 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
We ARE talking about the compressor that powers the air brakes right??

Those (I thought) are physically attached to the engine and gear driven off the camshaft (or something similar); NOT belt-driven as other accessories.

I always figured that would make it a Cummins problem, but I guess not.

I guess they could produce the engine for a vehicle that doesn't need airbrakes (a boat, maybe) and therefore it WOULD be a Freightliner problem.

I myself would always start with FL and then only go to Cummins after FL determined it was a Cummins problem; assuming FL didn't charge me an arm and a leg just to tell me to go to the Cummins shop.

Boowho??

The compressor is not a Cummins part. It is built by the air brake manufacturer, ie. Bendix or Haldex. When the engine is sent to the chassis manufacturer, it has a block off plate on it where the compressor goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nights camped 2015....23
Tonkatoy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:51 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonkatoy77 View Post
The compressor is not a Cummins part. It is built by the air brake manufacturer, ie. Bendix or Haldex. When the engine is sent to the chassis manufacturer, it has a block off plate on it where the compressor goes.

Unfortunately I just found in the freightliner owners warranty book under exclusion heading Air Compressors, Engine Brakes and other proprietary engine components; "The engine manufacturer installs most air compressors and engine brakes. Any failure of a proprietary engine component or Jacob Brake component must be filed directly to the engine manufacturer. Failures on non proprietary components can be filed through Daimler Trucks North America LLC Dealers"

So again, seems like it could go either way...
tnbendr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 12:39 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbendr View Post
Unfortunately I just found in the freightliner owners warranty book under exclusion heading Air Compressors, Engine Brakes and other proprietary engine components; "The engine manufacturer installs most air compressors and engine brakes. Any failure of a proprietary engine component or Jacob Brake component must be filed directly to the engine manufacturer. Failures on non proprietary components can be filed through Daimler Trucks North America LLC Dealers"

So again, seems like it could go either way...
Given the fact that your rig is BRAND NEW I think I would give Mitch Wirt a call at the factory 574 293-6137 so he can at least be involved. He is a great resource and if he realizes you are stranded possibly he can cut some of the red tape. Just a thought
Old 06-23-2015, 03:44 PM   #24

Update:
Found out it was a broken bracket on a steel air line coming from turbo to compressor. Since the bracket wasn't supporting the line it worked on a rubber elbow and blew a hole in it and that was the noise. It's a pretty easy fix, and the bracket will be here overnight but the rubber elbow is out of stock so they have to rob it from the production line to send and It won't be here till Thursday soonest.

I did call and talked to Mike, captnrick3, and he had me call 800 ftl help, ended up with the parts guy that talked with the mechanic here and said it would be here Thursday.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:57 PM   #25

Ben,
Happy to hear that it wasn't a serious a problem as it sounded and that you will be on your way in a couple of days.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:02 PM   #26

Quote:
Update:
Found out it was a broken bracket on a steel air line coming from turbo to compressor. Since the bracket wasn't supporting the line it worked on a rubber elbow and blew a hole in it and that was the noise. It's a pretty easy fix, and the bracket will be here overnight but the rubber elbow is out of stock so they have to rob it from the production line to send and It won't be here till Thursday soonest.

I did call and talked to Mike, captnrick3, and he had me call 800 ftl help, ended up with the parts guy that talked with the mechanic here and said it would be here Thursday.
Wow, thanks for the update. Sorry you are stuck there so long but hopefully you have a decent place to stay in the meantime. Hope your trip isn't cut too short. I will be crawling under our rig to examine the turbo to compressor connection. I will check this forum to see how you did when we return from a European cruise we are leaving on shortly, be back July 10th.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:40 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonkatoy77 View Post

Thanks for that info..... I did not know that...

The block off plate sounds pretty logical, actually; now that I think about it...

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:44 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnrick3 View Post
Wow, thanks for the update. Sorry you are stuck there so long but hopefully you have a decent place to stay in the meantime. Hope your trip isn't cut too short. I will be crawling under our rig to examine the turbo to compressor connection. I will check this forum to see how you did when we return from a European cruise we are leaving on shortly, be back July 10th.
He actually put the line back in temporarily so we could get back to the rv park just a few blocks away, so we are fully hooked up while we wait for parts. After we left there I thought about taking a photo of it, so when he takes it out again I well do that and post it to help identify the line, hard to see from underneath, I think they had to pull the floor panel in my RB to get to it. I will verify it also.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:06 AM   #29

Late update:
I felt we had to get out of Grand Junction CO and make up a little time and distance as soon the fix was complete. The parts came in and Thursday morning went back to FL to have them installed. Everything checked 4.0 and she was purring like a kitten. As I suspected the bracket that broke was installed under a preloaded condition and it only took time for it to fatigue and break thereby compromising the rubber elbow and ultimate failure resulting in it to blow a hole. The mech situated the new bracket so it is in more of a relaxed posture and still supporting the air line.
Thank you all for your concerns and remarks, I will try to post some pics soon. Additionally, on my 38A you can only see this by pulling up the floor panel in rear.

Safe travels all!
Old 06-27-2015, 08:37 AM   #30

Ben,
Glad to hear that your coach has been repaired and you are back on the road again.
Safe travels to you also!

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:14 AM   #31

Quote:
Late update:
I felt we had to get out of Grand Junction CO and make up a little time and distance as soon the fix was complete. The parts came in and Thursday morning went back to FL to have them installed. Everything checked 4.0 and she was purring like a kitten. As I suspected the bracket that broke was installed under a preloaded condition and it only took time for it to fatigue and break thereby compromising the rubber elbow and ultimate failure resulting in it to blow a hole. The mech situated the new bracket so it is in more of a relaxed posture and still supporting the air line.
Thank you all for your concerns and remarks, I will try to post some pics soon. Additionally, on my 38A you can only see this by pulling up the floor panel in rear.

Safe travels all!
Glad to hear you are up and running and it was minor. Thanks for all the detail, that's what the forum is all about, info. I crawled around under our rig just now using a flashlight and mirror just to see, and I can see how that bracket could be installed in a stressed manor.