Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2012, 12:09 PM   #1

Current pricing of the 390BH

I have noticed on the Forest River Web site that they are advertising 2012 390BH-40 at $169k less a $5k rebate.

Am I the only person that finds this a little bit disconcerting. I am aware that nobody in their right mind would go in and pay full MSRP ,but, I am afraid that having the manufacturer advertise a price like this will lower the resale value of every Berkshire in existance.

I have noticed that up until this time the most common Dealer Advertised Price for a 390BH-40 was $179k
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:29 PM   #2
2011 Berkshire 390bh

I was also surprised to see that price. I'm not sure what their logic is. As I understand it their sales have been good so why denigrate the product with a price drop? I think you may be right that this will lower our resale values. Why would someone trade for a used rig for $140 when a new rig would only be a little bit more? Not a good idea by FR.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:40 PM   #3

I just hope that this is not the sign of darker days to come.

One could argue that the backing of Berkshire Hathaway bould make the brand somewhat immune to bad economic times ... however ... on the flip side ... Men like Warren Buffet get ahead by knowing when to cut losses and run.

All that being said ... I love my 390BH-60 and have no intention of selling or trading it in for many many years.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:02 PM   #4
2011 Berkshire 390BH

Forest River did offer $2500 rebates back in February 2008 on Berkshires. I don't know if they list a discounted price at that time like they are now. Also I noticed Forest River is coming out soon with a luxury BH for the Georgetown Model. They are calling it a super bunkhouse and it has a tag axle. 43.9!ft long.

Finally completed all State visits in August 2011 with a trip to North Dakota.
Superchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:35 PM   #5

Superchief

A 44ft tag with bunks .... yikes. I think that Forest River may regret this choice.

In my opinion, most of us that have purchased Class As with bunks, did so because we have kids and we like to travel all over North America. By going to a unit of this size, I fear that they will take an already limited market and shrink it down to nearly nothing.

The reasons are many ... but the most obvious is the fact that 44ft is best suited to Snow Birds and other RVer that drive to a destination and park it for an extended period of time. Not only is a Tag Axle of this length more daunting to drive, but, most RV parks are not able to accomodate a unit of this size.

We found in the past that with our 34 ft Triple E, we could go almost anywhere, with the 38ft Discovery we were much more limited and with the 40ft ... even more so.

Although parking in one place sometimes looks attractive, we are at a stage in our life that we want our kids to experience travel and see the wonderful Countries that we call home
Old 02-20-2012, 03:47 PM   #6

resale ? really, does that exist ... i've got a georgetown 378, would love to sell to upgrade to a berkshire .... nobody out there, unless you have a love for these things, i don't see much market . so everybody likes there berkshire , minimum problems ? Was real disappointed in FR for putting those nasty wheel covers over steel rims, instead of all aluminum rims , shame on them ...
SEAYALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:41 PM   #7

Harley
I had a 2008 Damon gasser that I wanted to upgrade to a diesel bunkhouse. I determined what my cash limit was for the upgrade(my Damon + cash). I then used a shotgun approach and contacted at least 7 large rv dealers. I told each of my offer and that I would close this deal today( no tire kicking). I got no response until about 4 months later. I got 2 calls and said yes to the first. The Berkshire is wonderful and well worth the wait!!
kingwood390bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:23 AM   #8

KW .. thanks for the in site, i guess i'm too new with my 378 unless i can find a private buyer that wants to save some $. we'll be one year old in April, its a 2012 .. 378 ..... pricing from dealer to dealer is an experience for sure, MHSRV in Texas advertising 390FL $159,900 2012 .. what dealer did you end up buying from ? Our unit came from Lazydays , in Fl. thanks
Old 02-22-2012, 03:30 PM   #9

I got mine at Dixie Rv in Hammond Louisianna. As part of my shotgun approach, I contacted MHSRV and gave them my offer and they called me a week after Dixie. The whole transaction with Dixie was terrific.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:05 AM   #10

thank you KW I really like your approach, throw your deal out there an see who wants the business, very good ..... sometimes i think a buying negotiator would be a good business, someone to make your deal, an take the " i want it factor" completely out of it ...
Old 02-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #11

KW
thinking you must of bought a used berkshire from Dixie ? i looked at site an appears they don't handle any FR motorhomes . am i wrong ? thanks
Old 02-27-2012, 12:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwood390bh View Post
I got mine at Dixie Rv in Hammond Louisianna. As part of my shotgun approach, I contacted MHSRV and gave them my offer and they called me a week after Dixie. The whole transaction with Dixie was terrific.

You obviously haven't had to bring it in for service yet.
lsutgr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:39 PM   #13

Harley
Yes , I bought a 2010 with 350. I told the sales staff what I was looking for, and when they got one, we made the deal over the phone. The previous Berkshire owners may have been trading for another unit. I haven't had service done by them because I live too far away.

Tags
390bh