Old 01-10-2014, 11:42 AM   #11

I'm no expert but I don't buy it in boxes from Walmart or Tractor Supply unless I have to. At $12.50 for 2 gallons that's about $5.00/gal. You can buy in bulk at most truck stops for $2.80/gal. I carry a 5 gallon kerosene container (blue colored) and pump into it at Pilot or Flying J between trips in the MH. I have a 1 gal bottle I use for transfering to the def tank.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:47 AM   #12

DEF isn't going to break you one way or the other. A 5gal container is a good idea and would be easy to fill. I just might grab one and go that route. I hate carting the stuff around and that would make it easier.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:01 PM   #13

There'a another thread, and I'm not trying to take this one off topic. My biggest problem with the truck stops is the inability to pay at the pump. I know diesel purchases are typically in excess of $150 but you would think Pilot/Flying J would step into the current decade with pay at the pump. After all they would be getting an authorization number from the Credit Card company prior to allowing the pumping. It sure would make DEF and diesel purchases faster and more convenient.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
Old 01-10-2014, 12:04 PM   #14

Get a pilot card. You get the discount and can fill up and pay at the pump. A monthly statement and nice people to deal with. Makes fueling so much easier.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgewant View Post
There'a another thread, and I'm not trying to take this one off topic. My biggest problem with the truck stops is the inability to pay at the pump. I know diesel purchases are typically in excess of $150 but you would think Pilot/Flying J would step into the current decade with pay at the pump. After all they would be getting an authorization number from the Credit Card company prior to allowing the pumping. It sure would make DEF and diesel purchases faster and more convenient.
You can pay at the pump if you have one of their cards. We pay at the pump all the time at the Pilot/Flying J's.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:11 PM   #16
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Get a pilot card. You get the discount and can fill up and pay at the pump. A monthly statement and nice people to deal with. Makes fueling so much easier.
X2.

Though, my wife is usually happy to walk in and take our daughter to stretch their legs out before we had it and when we go to non-Pilot/Flying J places. (Though, the fact that she chooses those bathrooms over ours just grosses me out. )
Old 01-10-2014, 12:18 PM   #17

Another slightly off topic comment: Recently on the return trip from Gulf Shores, AL a small caravan I was with stopped at a Pilot south of Montgomery, AL. I filled up and when we got down the road a bit I learned from one of my fellow RVers (who also is maintenance coordinator for Jack Daniels) that the diesel we pumped was a bio-diesel blend. He said he only pumped a few gallons because Jack Daniels has bad experiences with bio diesel. I guess I am going to try and be more observant about what I' pumping particularly at Pilot.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
Old 01-10-2014, 12:27 PM   #18

Good point. I have looked but never seen the sticker that is supposed to be in the pump. I have heard but do not know for sure that it is ok to run but not to store. They suggest a treatment to keep the algae from clogging the filters. I would just as soon avoid it. I believe some states mandate it.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:16 PM   #19

The containers are actually pretty easy. The have extended hoses to make filling the tank easy. Don't know which of those places has them though
Old 01-10-2014, 06:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrilegacy View Post
The containers are actually pretty easy. The have extended hoses to make filling the tank easy. Don't know which of those places has them though
Yeah I figure if I'm down to "E" I'm gonna get it in there. The 2.5gal container is my backup plan, mainly.

Gottawonder is offline   Reply With Quote