Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2014, 10:27 AM   #1

Def at fuel stops

Will be heading south starting next weekend. This will be my first trip with the new coach that needs DEF. Does anyone know which fuel stops along I95(Petro, Flying J, Loves, etc) have DEF pumps and are they accessible for RV's? The DEF tank on my Berkshire is in a compartment where the door lifts upward. Looks like it would be a real hassle to try to pour DEF into the tank from a container.
Thanks.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:31 AM   #2
Always Learning

Don't have a motorhome and don't have DEF- so take my response with a grain of salt.

But, with my diesel truck when I'm traveling the highways- I solely use truck stops and go around back to the truck pumps. They've almost all have DEF pumps either at every pump or at clearly marked pumps.

When you pull in, just make sure that you leave enough room for the door to swing upward between you + the barriers/pump/etc.

The only concern/question I might have is which side of the motorhome is it on and does that pose any unique challenges with these DEF pumps? And/or how close to the fuel tank filler is the inlet? I didn't pay enough attention to know where they were located.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:38 AM   #3

The J's have or are adding def pumps but not all have made the switch yet.
As I recall the two I have been in had the pump and a satellite pump.
I would rather buy a jug of it and keep it in a bucket in a storage bay.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:38 AM   #4

My DEF tank is on the passenger side in the back of the coach by the rear wheels. The fuel fillers (one on each side of the coach) are up by the front wheels.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:48 AM   #5

Tom you will need to pull in the wrong way to fill at the pump. I don't because as soon as I do it will get busy and blocked in. It is difficult to fill. Some use a pump portable 12v for me that is a hassle. What I do is shop for deals in the 2.5 gal container and pour it into a one gal milk jug. It fits ok and goes fast. I can do it at the camp site at my own pace and time. I carry a couple with me and when the tank gets to a 1/4 I add what I have stored in the basement and start looking for more. You could always refill the 2.5's at the pump to save a little. It's such a small part of the cost of running the MH that I haven't bothered. They smell so much better with the def. I wish the gen had it as well. See you in FL.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:48 AM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
My DEF tank is on the passenger side in the back of the coach by the rear wheels. The fuel fillers (one on each side of the coach) are up by the front wheels.
I guess I made an assumption that it was a diesel engine, too.

With pumps on both sides, that's not an issue. The truck pumps are on both sides.

I don't recall which side the DEF pumps were on. But I do know that they were usually next to the fuel pump. I'm not sure if you'll be able to reach them without having to move your motorhome forward.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:22 AM   #7

If you are full of def before you leave it shouldn't be an issue. I put about 3000 miles on my coach so far and it only took about 5 gallons to fill it back up. I bought the 2.5 gallon jugs and yes it is sort of a pain to pour it in but I was able to do it by sticking the flexible house into the def tank and holding the jug up then squeezed the jug and it filled it right up. Safe travels an enjoy your trip.
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:25 AM   #8

If you have a smart phone there is a free app called Trucker Tools. It's great fo locating def and pricing diesel as well as other things like Walmarts and rest stops.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forest River Forums mobile app

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:31 AM   #9

Walmart has the cheapest I have found. We stay overnight frequently so its easy to grab a couple of boxes and add it when its convenient. JTN8 is correct you can go a long way before you will need it. Don't ever let it run out and if you do don't turn off the motor. The whole DEF thing is easy and not the big issue that everyone made it out to be. I will take the reduced smell any day.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:42 AM   #10

I keep a siphon similar to thisaround...

Siphon

I use it for transferring gas from a five gallon can into boat or car. Close the valve on top, squeeze bulb about 3x and you're siphoning. Open the valve if you need to stop. I'm sure I'll throw one in the tool box.

Autozone had 1gal and the 2.5 gal DEF in stock last time I was in there.
Gottawonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:42 AM   #11

I'm no expert but I don't buy it in boxes from Walmart or Tractor Supply unless I have to. At $12.50 for 2½ gallons that's about $5.00/gal. You can buy in bulk at most truck stops for $2.80/gal. I carry a 5 gallon kerosene container (blue colored) and pump into it at Pilot or Flying J between trips in the MH. I have a 1 gal bottle I use for transfering to the def tank.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
Old 01-10-2014, 11:47 AM   #12

DEF isn't going to break you one way or the other. A 5gal container is a good idea and would be easy to fill. I just might grab one and go that route. I hate carting the stuff around and that would make it easier.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:01 PM   #13

There'a another thread, and I'm not trying to take this one off topic. My biggest problem with the truck stops is the inability to pay at the pump. I know diesel purchases are typically in excess of $150 but you would think Pilot/Flying J would step into the current decade with pay at the pump. After all they would be getting an authorization number from the Credit Card company prior to allowing the pumping. It sure would make DEF and diesel purchases faster and more convenient.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
Old 01-10-2014, 12:04 PM   #14

Get a pilot card. You get the discount and can fill up and pay at the pump. A monthly statement and nice people to deal with. Makes fueling so much easier.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgewant View Post
There'a another thread, and I'm not trying to take this one off topic. My biggest problem with the truck stops is the inability to pay at the pump. I know diesel purchases are typically in excess of $150 but you would think Pilot/Flying J would step into the current decade with pay at the pump. After all they would be getting an authorization number from the Credit Card company prior to allowing the pumping. It sure would make DEF and diesel purchases faster and more convenient.
You can pay at the pump if you have one of their cards. We pay at the pump all the time at the Pilot/Flying J's.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:11 PM   #16
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Get a pilot card. You get the discount and can fill up and pay at the pump. A monthly statement and nice people to deal with. Makes fueling so much easier.
X2.

Though, my wife is usually happy to walk in and take our daughter to stretch their legs out before we had it and when we go to non-Pilot/Flying J places. (Though, the fact that she chooses those bathrooms over ours just grosses me out. )
Old 01-10-2014, 12:18 PM   #17

Another slightly off topic comment: Recently on the return trip from Gulf Shores, AL a small caravan I was with stopped at a Pilot south of Montgomery, AL. I filled up and when we got down the road a bit I learned from one of my fellow RVers (who also is maintenance coordinator for Jack Daniels) that the diesel we pumped was a bio-diesel blend. He said he only pumped a few gallons because Jack Daniels has bad experiences with bio diesel. I guess I am going to try and be more observant about what I' pumping particularly at Pilot.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
Old 01-10-2014, 12:27 PM   #18

Good point. I have looked but never seen the sticker that is supposed to be in the pump. I have heard but do not know for sure that it is ok to run but not to store. They suggest a treatment to keep the algae from clogging the filters. I would just as soon avoid it. I believe some states mandate it.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:16 PM   #19

The containers are actually pretty easy. The have extended hoses to make filling the tank easy. Don't know which of those places has them though
Terrilegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrilegacy View Post
The containers are actually pretty easy. The have extended hoses to make filling the tank easy. Don't know which of those places has them though
Yeah I figure if I'm down to "E" I'm gonna get it in there. The 2.5gal container is my backup plan, mainly.
Gottawonder is offline   Reply With Quote