Old 02-01-2014, 12:32 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
I used the truck lanes for DEF. Had to pull in going the opposite direction. Did it when there were a number of open lanes and didn't have any problems. Worked out really well.
X2

Old 02-01-2014, 01:00 PM   #32

I am soooo glad that I don't have to deal with DEF.... One less thing on my plate....

Old 02-01-2014, 01:47 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
I am soooo glad that I don't have to deal with DEF.... One less thing on my plate....

I have never owned a MH without it(that shows how new we are) but don't find it to much if a hassle. I will find a pump or pull in backwards or figure it out. I would not pick a unit out based on having DEF or not. What I enjoy is the lack of smell coming from the exhaust. I hate the diesel smell. I wish the generator had it also. If you have ever been to a FMCA rally with no electric you will know what I mean. The smell is awful.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:41 PM   #34

I only go into big rig fuel stops, and advise the cashier that I'm going to go in backwards (i.e. I circle around to the exit side and drive into the bay outlet, having first set a small traffic cone in the entrance to keep it clear until I can pull in.

After I fuel (I can fuel from either side), I pace off the distance I need to reset the cone at, so that I can pull up with the DEF tank adjacent to the DEF pump.

Some fuel stops require two separate transactions.

I carry a store-bought jug in case I get caught with no DEF in sight, but never use it, except to replace it with new near the end of the season.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:48 PM   #35

Thanks all who replied. I have been pulling in 'backwards' when filling up with DEF. I can usually find a lane that does not have any truckers waiting to fuel. So far so good. Just hope that other fuel retailers start installing DEF pumps as well.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:49 PM   #36

Diesel 5th wheeling for the first time this year with a Ford 250 super duty. DEF inlet (and fuel) are located on the driver side and at the truck stops have the DEF pump o driver side and fuel on both sides. Just pull straight in on fill up. Way to go Alan Mullaly and crew.
L'il Red Wagon 6.5 bed
bobby75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:59 AM   #37

I picked up two 2.5 gal blue plastic kerosene containers at Walmart and keep them empty most of the time. I also pull into the truck lane backward when possible, but if not, I can fill my containers at the same time that I am fueling up.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:46 PM   #38

FYI, just left walmart and they sell DEF by the motor oil now. It was $11.99 for a 2.5 gallon jug. Bought two and they have the extended filler hose one them so it filled my tank quite easy. I squeezed the jug as I was filling my tank and it went really quick with no hassle or spills.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:48 AM   #39

If the jugs are reuseable, you can refill while you are getting diesel and keep one or two in the RV or at home. If kept in a garage, it will be good for a year.

Tags
pump