Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2019, 09:42 AM   #1

DirectTV

Since I have the DirecTV dish, I want to go with their service. What equipment do I need for my 2019 Berkshire to set this up. I want the DVR capabilities because my wife is a night owl. I have four TVs but only want to be able to watch separate channels on the one in the living area an the bedroom. So I guess I need a DVR for the living area and a separate non DVR in the bedroom. It would be nice if I could watch programs from the DVR in the bedroom too, but I don't know if that's possible.

Once I have the equipment is the installation pretty straight forward. I have been looking for someone to do the installation without any luck. I would appreciate any help or experience you can share on this type of set up. Thanks!
Old 07-07-2019, 10:01 AM   #2

this is just my comments and other may have different opinions experiences.

first do you already use direct tv at home? if you do many people just move their home equipment to the rv and back.

we have a genie dvr, a video bridge, and a couple of mini genies. first thing is these are SWM network devices. i believe they require a SWM compatible antenna. i do not know if the one you have is or is not.

we connect the antenna to the genie DVR. the video bridge is also connected to the SWM coax. there is also a power inserter that come with the video bridge. that's all the cabling involved. we then connect the mini genies to the other tv's we want to use and the main genie / video bridge sends the video signal to them wirelessly. each tv is completely independent and can watch / record / playback anything that it wants.

now as far as setting up an account and getting the equipment from direct tv that is another story. we had problems with them as they said they would not install their equipment in a rv. we ended up finding a local independent satellite company that provided the exact same equipment with no problem. they actually gave me the equipment and let me install it myself. i had to make a couple of phone calls to them during the software setup process but they answered the questions and all went well.

i do not know dictates within direct tv as far as supporting installations in rvs!
Old 07-07-2019, 10:26 AM   #3

Thanks, I do not have Directv at home. I have a rebate offer from Wenegard in my Motorhome manuals offering discounts on purchasing receivers and a number to call for activation. Maybe that's where I need to start.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:00 AM   #4

What DirecTV dish do you have? If its not SWM compatible there is a converter that will fix that for you.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 11:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
What DirecTV dish do you have? If its not SWM compatible there is a converter that will fix that for you.

I don’t know, I’ll check and see.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:01 PM   #6

I have the Automatic Multi-Satellite TV Antenna Model SK-SWM3, Traveler DirecTV SWM Slimline Antenna.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:05 PM   #7

Looks like you are all set for DirecTV. You will need a couple of receivers and hopefully the coach is wired for them.

2015 335DS
Old 07-07-2019, 03:13 PM   #8

I did a little investigation today and I believe it's wired to go once I get the receivers. I can turn the Blu-ray on and watch it on all the TVs or just one and watch regular TV on the others. There's a switch box of some sort in the cabinet withe the blu-ray. I guess that determines what signal is sent to which TV. I guess it's obvious, I'm a novice and need all the help I can get to do this right. Today I set up the Sirius ready radio after buying the receiver module. It took me forever to find the Sirius antenna stuffed behind the radio. It was wrapped up with a bunch of other wires but not run close to the radio. My neighbor comes over and sees it right away hidden behind a bunge of other wires.
Old 07-07-2019, 03:14 PM   #9

Or use the genie master DVR, the wireless bridge, and the mini genies and you only need the cable from the antenna to the genie. All the mini genies work wirelessly and independently.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
Or use the genie master DVR, the wireless bridge, and the mini genies and you only need the cable from the antenna to the genie. All the mini genies work wirelessly and independently.
I have had direct TV for years, when I installed the high deft satellite they sent a installer out to my house and wired all my TVs in the RV for free
wac1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 05:37 PM   #11

From what I understand they don't do RVs only homes. We'll see tomorrow when I call to order the receivers.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wanderer2 View Post
From what I understand they don't do RVs only homes. We'll see tomorrow when I call to order the receivers.
Most DirecTV installers are contractors who only know very little about how the thing works. They are good at trashing an existing antenna and installing a whole new system from scratch. As such, most know nothing about RV antennas or installations.

The good ones refuse to work on them, the bad ones are probably worse.

Tell them to leave the receiver and power inserter...do the rest yourself unless they really seem to know what they are doing.

2015 335DS
Old 07-08-2019, 09:32 AM   #13

Wanderer, Call winegard and they will walk you through the process. You purchase the box and then a plan. If you call Direct TV and try to set it up, you will be talking to someone that knows nothing about motorhomes. Winegard will tell you everything you need to know. You only need one box. Mount it in the cabinet withthe Matrix and wire it to the matrix using the HDMI cable. Once you have it hooked up, use your remote to select TV input on the TV you want to watch DTV on.

Hope this helps.
Full Time in the Summer, soon
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:38 AM   #14

Call Brian. See if he can advise you.

Elkhart Satellite Systems

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 01:46 PM   #15

Thanks for the replies. I called Winegard this morning and they walked me through the whole process. The receivers are on there way with instructions. It looks to be pretty straight forward installation, pretty much plug and play.

Your right, DirecTV people are clueless when it comes to RVs. I thought Comcast was bad.
Old 07-08-2019, 01:50 PM   #16

Well, you lease the receivers. So you pay someone........DirecTV or one of their franchisers. You have a smart card in a receiver, and only DirecTV can activate it. So you have to have a monthly service with someone. But yes, it's not that hard.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 01:52 PM   #17

I am ready to upgrade to H24 receivers for the HDTV switchover coming now in 2021. I have heard that DTV will no longer activate a new receiver without going through an installer or retailer. Love to know how you make out.

2015 335DS
Old 07-08-2019, 02:01 PM   #18

Your right I will be paying a bill each month for their service. Nothing is free. Will see how this goes and I'll report back with my experience.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:39 PM   #19
Dragonship Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
I have heard that DTV will no longer activate a new receiver without going through an installer or retailer. Love to know how you make out.
They tried that with me, until I told them "Fine, but the installer will have to come to a rest-area".... They reluctantly let me do it myself.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:07 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarvan View Post
They tried that with me, until I told them "Fine, but the installer will have to come to a rest-area".... They reluctantly let me do it myself.
I pay direct TV for extra service in case I have any problems, I have had them even send a tech to the campground and was not charged a service fee, I have found out that you have to be persistent to get to the right person to get your problems solved
wac1949 is offline   Reply With Quote