Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2019, 05:04 PM   #1

Dish wiring for Berk 38A

I’m not a big fan of watching TV when camping so OTA for news suits me fine but the DW wants her shows and I’m being pressured into considering the addition of Dish since that’s what’s available at home. While my 38A is prewired for roof top Wingard Traveler, I’m leaning toward a portable. The wiring originates somewhere in the A/V cabinet and terminates in the cabinet above the passenger windshield. One option is to find a way to get those upper cabinet wires to the outside (front basement?) or option two, install new wires from the A/V cabinet and drop directly to basement below, where the dome connections would be made. My question is, has anyone had experience in how and where these wires are routed in a Berk?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Satellite3.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	359.5 KB
ID:	195705  
planopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 07:08 PM   #2

Satellite

I am guessing power to dish, COAX from Dish, and COAX to TV1 and TV2. Mine had COAX to the 'entertainment" shelves in the bedroom and the main room.

Winegard Trav'ler has a control box that would be installed in the compartment above passenger seat, that one is where the multi-wire gets plugged.

If using a direct TV SWM, the power inserter would also be installed in that compartment, and the COAX to dish and COAX to TV1 would be connected to the power inserter. If using more than one TV, then need a multiswitch.

If direct TV noSWM, then just get a COAX Coupler and join the COAX to roof to the COAX to TV1 and put receiver in location where COAX to TV one is run (likely in living room).
Old 01-30-2019, 07:12 PM   #3

I have a permanent dish in the campground we have a seasonal lot. I ran COAX from the basement up to the entertainment center above the fireplace in my 40C. I put in a switch for times we are on road and using roof top trav'ler. Run COAX up into wet bay, then i put a wall plate in that compartment so the COAX would run up into the entertainment center. When we are using the external (not roof-mounted) dish, I just attach the COAX to the wall plate in the wet bay.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:17 PM   #4

The 38A has the same slide as my 40C. You can get into the entertainment center by removing the fireplace and running COAX up the cable path with the other cables and flex pipes. Its a bit tight, but I ran multiple ethernet and COAX cables with the other wiring. Leave slack for the slide movement. I put another wall plate inside the entertainment shelf, and that is what I use the receiver to connect to the COAX.

To be able to close the basement doors when I am connected, I selected to run the COAX into the wet bay, as there is a trap door for the water line. I use it for my COAX and Cat 5 ethernet to my nanostation antenna for wifi.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:55 PM   #5
Dragonship Captain

Can you get her shows streaming? It's the future and would save you a lot of messing around.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:54 PM   #6

Thanks. That's very helpful. I'll have to pull the FP this weekend and have a look.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:57 PM   #7

Oscar, I don't dare show her streaming. As a retired nurse she'd be watching medical shows 24 hours a day or 15 seasons of CSI !
Old 01-31-2019, 02:46 AM   #8
Dragonship Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by planopat View Post
Oscar, I don't dare show her streaming. As a retired nurse she'd be watching medical shows 24 hours a day or 15 seasons of CSI !
I see your problem......
Old 01-31-2019, 10:22 AM   #9

I have a 2013 Berkshire so what I’m about to describe may not be possible with your motorhome. I used the cable TV port in the inverter/shore power compartment with a non powered booster and a dish tailgater. I also have a roof mounted traveler dish so I used a simple A-B switch to allow selecting the roof or tailgater. The coax coming out of the A-B switch goes to the Dish receiver.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 11:18 AM   #10

That's very interesting. I like the idea and could work in my rig. Since I don't have a roof mount I wouldn't need an A-B switch but out of curiosity, I'm assuming the A-B switch is located in the inside cabinet?
Old 01-31-2019, 11:44 AM   #11

Yes.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 01:06 PM   #12

Referring to the picture on the original post. Can anyone identify the purpose of the 6-wire connector? Don't think used for DISH. Maybe for DIRECT TV?
Old 01-31-2019, 01:38 PM   #13

It looks like the wiring connection to the control box for the Winegard Trav'ler.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:42 PM   #14

Easiest way to connect:
External dish with coax run between the slide and the floor (and wall) into the receiver.
Problem is that you have to coil up the coax every time you move.

It's a bit more work, but the way i described with the coax down in the basement under the kitchen, behind the fireplace, next to the wet bay gives you a cable that you can connect to an external dish.

I set that up, and with a switch I can select roof or external dish, depending on where i am.

Tags
wiring