Old 02-03-2016, 04:36 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewhedd View Post
I hear Disney is going to fire everyone working at Ft. Wilderness and bring in people from India on work visas. LOL

Seriously, the food there for the most part is way overpriced. It would be worth bringing a car just to go out and eat.
But But...you are camping...that's what I have my kitchen for and more importantly my Traeger

Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:37 PM   #22
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
6. Definitely go with the Park Hopper alternative and also look into the dining plan. The dining plan can save you a LOT of money!
Good stuff from conceptumator, but I'll challenge his last point. In 10-ish visits over the past few years, I've yet to actually save money on the dining plan. It's more convenient and nice to have meals pre-paid for, but I rarely save money using it. There are calculators that let you compare your meal plans/style of eating to the dining plan.

Old 02-03-2016, 04:40 PM   #23
7 Year Class A RV'er

Thanks, ependydad - not disagreeing at all. A lot depends on how many in your crew, kids, etc. Works for some folks, not for others.

As for the fellow who talked about how overpriced the food is - of course it is, but unless you want to drive an hour, you're not going to do any better. And most of the off property places on that side of town are nowhere I would really want to eat. We generally have cereal for breakfast, a snack for lunch and splurge a bit for dinner. Whispering Canyons at the Wilderness Lodge is a favorite, as is Trail's End at FW. Both are all you can eat and really good food. Yes, a bit pricey, but it's Disney for crying out loud!

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:43 PM   #24
7 Year Class A RV'er

Oh - forgot to mention one thing to the OP. If you like to use a fire pit at night, you need to know the Fort rules. Any approved fire pit has to have a SOLID lid over it, not mesh. Hard to find many that meet that requirement, especially something somewhat portable. You can buy firewood from the Fort and they'll deliver it to your campsite. No open campfires allowed, though. Too much chance of burning down Central Florida!

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 05:20 PM   #25
I Break Everything

We went a few years ago. I chose the largest option available. The roads through out the park are well kept. However the roads are all one way and can be narrow with cars parked directly behind their RVs, thus sticking out into the road. There is no parking anywhere in the park except bikes and golf carts. We didn't use ours. We had to move our site because the RV across from us had their toad sticking out in the road and our space was not usable until they came back from the amusement parks. That wasn't amusing.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS MH
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 05:45 PM   #26
Who Dares, Wins

We were in the 100 loop in October / November. We had a premium site and we were very happy. I will say this look is VERY tight to get in but it can be done.

We did the meal plan. I do not know if we saved or came out ahead. I did not care so much. We used all the meals to do character meals since we were down with our 3 year old daughter... I think we did well. We pretty much had a large breakfast and dinner for the week we stayed and used the snacks for our lunch. We ended up doing a shopping spree at the end of the stay to get road snacks since we had not used all out credits.

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:20 PM   #27

We are going in October for food and wine. All of the comments are great I find the only way to save money is to have a daughter that works there.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:26 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTN8 View Post
We stayed there a few years back. Great place! I brought our car because you just really never know when you'll need it. With the Berkshires, you'll never know its back there and doesn't change your fuel MPG. Yes there are plenty of options for transportation but then you're on there time instead of yours. We actually used the car quite a bit but that was us....

We did not do the premium spots and had plenty of room.

As for the hopper. That is a preference of what you want to do and see. I just retired from the NAVY and get tickets through MWR at a discount so we did that instead. When we go, we don't always hit the same parks so again it really depends on your plans and what you want to see and do.

I will say definitely come up with a planned schedule because there is so much to do and see that it gets a little hectic sometimes.

Hope this helps a little...

Jason

2014 Berkshire 390BH
2011 Cadillac SRX (toad)
FB

Hi Jason,
First Thank You for your service in our US Navy!
Do you have a website for the MWR? We usually check out the Military Campground site but I didn't know if there was a separate website for the MWR discounts. I know they usually have local discounts in the MWR office on the base, but it would be easier if they had a separate website.
Thanks for the info,
Karen
RKNOLA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:32 AM   #29

Hi again Jason,
Rick just found the Coast Guard MWR site for us but thanks anyway for the info.
Karen
RKNOLA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 04:46 PM   #30

Disney Fort Wilderness

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKNOLA View Post
Hi again Jason,
Rick just found the Coast Guard MWR site for us but thanks anyway for the info.
Karen

Sorry, for the late response. Glad you found it. I usually just google it or being that we live close to the bases here around Norfolk, we stop in the office. Disney also has a military resort I believe it's fields of greens and they also will sell discounted tickets.

Jason

2014 Berkshire 390BH
2011 Cadillac SRX (toad)
FB