Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2015, 09:52 PM   #1

Do Berks have an alarm?

I am rate checking insurance companies (don't have the 2013 390RB coach yet). A couple of them have asked "does the motor home have an alarm"? Do they normally come with one?
Subsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:02 PM   #2

No the do not have a alarm.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
No the do not have a alarm.
Maybe I'll get a big dog...
Subsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:11 PM   #4

We have two and they are FerociousClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1447643486.075515.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	94396

Old 11-16-2015, 04:13 PM   #5
Georgia Gets Around

I installed a SimpliSafe.com system in my Georgetown XL. Be sure to ask for the Verizon based unit. We started off with the T-mobile unit and it didn't have coverage. They sent us the Verizon replacement and it's worked fine. We once tripped the security (didn't turn it off before entering) and the local police where there before I knew it. Had to show them ID and give them info to fill out a report.
frugalbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 05:50 PM   #6

GetPiper.com if you have WiFi.... Here's a review...
http://youtu.be/Z2pSfWBD4IY

--Nathan
2016 38a
Old 11-17-2015, 12:10 PM   #7
Georgia Gets Around

Piper is a great solution if you just want to be notified and use your insurance to fix the problem. However if you would like authorities to assist, the monitoring services and response of SimpliSafe has been excellent. I may even change my home system over to SimpliSafe from another provider because of the excellent response time in notifying me and sending authorities when they couldn't reach me (i.e. my cell phone was out of coverage area). Maybe changing my cell carrier as well!
Old 11-17-2015, 12:49 PM   #8

What is the cost for these alarms?

Old 11-17-2015, 01:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalbk View Post
I installed a SimpliSafe.com system in my Georgetown XL. Be sure to ask for the Verizon based unit. We started off with the T-mobile unit and it didn't have coverage. They sent us the Verizon replacement and it's worked fine. We once tripped the security (didn't turn it off before entering) and the local police where there before I knew it. Had to show them ID and give them info to fill out a report.
Never thought about simplisafe for the coach. Great idea! What sensors do you use and where are you placing them?

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 01:34 PM   #10

X2 I would be VERY interested in how the SimpliSafe system was installed!

Edit: I went to the site and other than figuring out how to attach the entry sensor to the MH door, everything else is wireless and looks like a easy DIY install.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 02:23 PM   #11
Georgia Gets Around

I have entry sensors on the door and step access panel that could easily be opened with wrenches from underneath. Motion sensor for the main living area pointed towards door. Need to close night shades or you'll get false alarm from anyone walking in front of large windshield and a glass break noise sensor (haven't tried this) which is located in bedroom/back of RV. Best part is with the full monitoring ($25/mon.) you can arm/disarm from smartphone and receive notifications when power goes out/fluctuates. Also have key fob for remote arm/disarm or notifying monitoring of false imprisonment. Refurb cost for equipment ~$220.
Old 11-17-2015, 02:27 PM   #12
Georgia Gets Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
What is the cost for these alarms?
Minimum ~$200, but sky is the limit. Monitoring per mo. $25 which has its own cell call capability with rechargeable battery back up. So it works most every where. SimpliSafe.com
Old 11-17-2015, 02:40 PM   #13

The Simplisafe.com alarm system uses wireless sensors. 120 Volt is required for the base unit. The base unit has a built in 'siren' although it is probably not as loud as you would like. No monitoring is required. IF you sign up for the monitoring, it communicates via cell phone signal, NO landline phone line needed.

There are many sensor options. Door and window, motion, glass breakage, smoke, carbon monoxide, freeze, water, external siren, keychain remote.

Since all the sensors are wireless,installation is easy as placing sensors with double included sided tape and plugging the base unit into 120V.

In a MH you could have a setup with a single motion sensor inside, or put door sensors on all of the storage doors.

There are 3 levels of monitoring available with the most expensive at $25/month. With the best monitoring I have complete control of the system with my smart phone app. I can active/check status of the system. I get text messages of any alarm also with the 'name' I have assigned the monitor, example 'front door', 'living room motion', 'storage bay 1' etc.

When a burglar alarm is detected, the monitoring people call within seconds. I advise them if I want the police called. If I don't answer, they call the secondary contact and police.

Since you configure the system options desired, the equipment cost starts around $250 and up to several hundred if you want lots of sensors.
Old 11-17-2015, 02:52 PM   #14

We have SimpliSafe in our home and agree with what others have said about it. We placed one of the entry sensors on our travel trailer door, so when the camper is parked within about 300 feet of our base station, it is protected just like the rest of the house.

When we leave home with the camper in tow, we arm the system, and as soon as we pull the camper out of range the sensor on the camper shows as an error, which is normal. When we get back home the camper sensor re-activates as soon as it's in range, and we have to remember to disarm our system before opening the camper door.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 04:00 PM   #15

Quote:
I have entry sensors on the door and step access panel that could easily be opened with wrenches from underneath. Motion sensor for the main living area pointed towards door. Need to close night shades or you'll get false alarm from anyone walking in front of large windshield and a glass break noise sensor (haven't tried this) which is located in bedroom/back of RV. Best part is with the full monitoring ($25/mon.) you can arm/disarm from smartphone and receive notifications when power goes out/fluctuates. Also have key fob for remote arm/disarm or notifying monitoring of false imprisonment. Refurb cost for equipment ~$220.
Quote:
Minimum ~$200, but sky is the limit. Monitoring per mo. $25 which has its own cell call capability with rechargeable battery back up. So it works most every where. SimpliSafe.com
OK I am impressed! I sent a email to SimplSafe @ 90 min ago and just got this reply:

Hi Bob,
Thanks for contacting SimpliSafe. We've got a good number of customers using our systems to protect motor-homes. They work the same way for this type of application as they would in a house or a business, although monitoring may be complicated if you're frequently travelling from one area to another. You may not always be withing cell coverage of our carriers (T-Mobile or Verizon) and certain counties may require you to have a permit to respond to your alarm. If you're planning on just using it as a local noisemaker though, there shouldn't be any problems.
I hope this information helps. Please let us know if there are any additional questions we can assist you with.
Best,
Joseph S
joseph_s@simplisafe.com
888-957-4675

So, based on what Joseph said in his email + frugalbk's posts, it looks like this is a great system - especially if you are planning on Fulltiming!

Thought occured to me that you could put a freeze sensor somewhere around the water manifold to detect freezing temps prior to it becomming a problem (the sensor alarms at 41º)

Joseph's comments about thwe possibility of needing a permit to respond to an alarm is interesting. Anyone have any additional info about that?
Old 11-17-2015, 04:09 PM   #16
Georgia Gets Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
OK I am impressed! I sent a email to SimplSafe @ 90 min ago and just got this reply:

Hi Bob,
Thanks for contacting SimpliSafe. We've got a good number of customers using our systems to protect motor-homes. They work the same way for this type of application as they would in a house or a business, although monitoring may be complicated if you're frequently travelling from one area to another. You may not always be withing cell coverage of our carriers (T-Mobile or Verizon) and certain counties may require you to have a permit to respond to your alarm. If you're planning on just using it as a local noisemaker though, there shouldn't be any problems.
I hope this information helps. Please let us know if there are any additional questions we can assist you with.
Best,
Joseph S
joseph_s@simplisafe.com
888-957-4675

So, based on what Joseph said in his email + frugalbk's posts, it looks like this is a great system - especially if you are planning on Fulltiming!

Thought occured to me that you could put a freeze sensor somewhere around the water manifold to detect freezing temps prior to it becomming a problem (the sensor alarms at 41º)

Joseph's comments about thwe possibility of needing a permit to respond to an alarm is interesting. Anyone have any additional info about that?
Because of false alarms (fairly prevalent) the local authority wants to know you have an alarm and that it is monitored. If it isn't monitored they don't have any skin in the game. Since SimpliSafe (on your account on-line) allows you to update your location by street, city, state, county, zip code as well as a free text area where I give the name of the camp ground, my site number, and description of my unit. I had one response by authority and they didn't give me any problem, just asked for ID etc to fill out the report.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:42 PM   #17

Quote:
Because of false alarms (fairly prevalent) the local authority wants to know you have an alarm and that it is monitored. If it isn't monitored they don't have any skin in the game. Since SimpliSafe (on your account on-line) allows you to update your location by street, city, state, county, zip code as well as a free text area where I give the name of the camp ground, my site number, and description of my unit. I had one response by authority and they didn't give me any problem, just asked for ID etc to fill out the report.

Hey Frugalbk, thanks for the info. I was wondering how they knew where you were. Can you do this month to month, since most of us don't full time? Also, I see you're fairly new poster. Welcome! Sharing info like this is one the great things about this site.

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 01:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman94 View Post
Hey Frugalbk, thanks for the info. I was wondering how they knew where you were. Can you do this month to month, since most of us don't full time? Also, I see you're fairly new poster. Welcome! Sharing info like this is one the great things about this site.

X2 to what Rich said -- and welcome to the Forums from Huntsville, AL!

Rich - I believe a earlier post said what they did was put a repeater in the MH and fed off their home system - this might work for you. Only issue I see is you would have to choose which place (MH or house) you would monitor when you went out on the road in the MH.

Another thought since you do not FT is what Joseph suggested: get the add-on 105 DB alarm. I can pretty much guarantee that whatever idiot that breaks into your rig will NOT hang around with those 2 alarms yammering and waking upeveryone in the CG
Old 11-18-2015, 03:14 PM   #19
Georgia Gets Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman94 View Post

Rich
So with the 25/mo. monitoring you have an account on-line that you can edit your location, with the street address, city, st, zip, county and a text description where I enter the RV Park name and site no. along with a description of my RV.

Thus at each location you move to you can change the address, etc.

Also it is month to month monitoring, no contract.

The monitoring company which processes an alarm uses this information to direct the local authorities. The monitoring company first tries to get in touch with you and the second number you give them to check if it is a false alarm, otherwise they send the authorities.