Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2015, 02:56 PM   #1

Dometic 4 door fridge

This may have been discussed before, but I don't remember.

First my fridge will not stay lit on the road (on propane). I guess the wind blows it out.

Then today I opened the lower outside panel and discovered I had some minor "scorching" and the wire going to the igniter was partially burned.

This makes me a bit afraid to use the unit on propane; as least until I get it looked at by a tech.

Anyone else experienced any of this??

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 03:00 PM   #2

I ditched mine for residential model as it was never consistent plus I had heard all horror fire stories. If it ever worked consistently I would kept it but never did!! I would be very careful with scorched wires

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Texas Realtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Realtor View Post
I ditched mine for residential model as it was never consistent plus I had heard all horror fire stories. If it ever worked consistently I would kept it but never did!! I would be very careful with scorched wires

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Just got an email from their recall department. They want to see pictures; will be sending them in the A.M.

Boowho??
Old 07-15-2015, 07:25 PM   #4

Is there any yellow power or colored substance around the burner? If yes turn the frig off as the compressor has failed and even on electric it could cause a fire. Nothing to fool with.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
Is there any yellow power or colored substance around the burner? If yes turn the frig off as the compressor has failed and even on electric it could cause a fire. Nothing to fool with.

Say, what??? I didn't think there was a compressor on these fridges....

Plus, on electric it cools perfectly and has since new.

But you are right.... This in nothing to fool around with.... I'm watching it closely.

Boowho??
Old 07-16-2015, 08:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
Say, what??? I didn't think there was a compressor on these fridges....

Plus, on electric it cools perfectly and has since new.

But you are right.... This in nothing to fool around with.... I'm watching it closely.

Boowho??
I may have used the wrong term but in the early 2000s Dometic had frig recalls. The evaporator system failed. The chemical in the system would leak out and is very flammable. RVs would go up in a second. There are several YouTube videos out there. The chemical is yellow and leaves a yellow residue all over the back of the frig. I had a buddies frig go bad. You will be able to see the junk if a leek occurs.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
I may have used the wrong term but in the early 2000s Dometic had frig recalls. The evaporator system failed. The chemical in the system would leak out and is very flammable. RVs would go up in a second. There are several YouTube videos out there. The chemical is yellow and leaves a yellow residue all over the back of the frig. I had a buddies frig go bad. You will be able to see the junk if a leek occurs.
Well, I don't think I have THE problem you mentioned..... but I REALLY do thank you for your concern that I could possibly burn up. It is MUCH appreciated.

I've just sent off detailed pics of the damage to the recall department (per their request).

Boowho??
Old 07-16-2015, 01:31 PM   #8

Mine works great never had a problem and keeps temp even in Arizona. Considering it works on shore power it sounds like the burnt wire going to the igniter is your problem or maybe the igniter it self with it unit not running while driving. We had a post a few week's ago with the same problem and after replacing both circuit boards he found it was a bad igniter. says it works fine for him now also. He returned the circuit boards.
j free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 04:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by j free View Post
Mine works great never had a problem and keeps temp even in Arizona. Considering it works on shore power it sounds like the burnt wire going to the igniter is your problem or maybe the igniter it self with it unit not running while driving. We had a post a few week's ago with the same problem and after replacing both circuit boards he found it was a bad igniter. says it works fine for him now also. He returned the circuit boards.
Yes, I will at least have to replace the igniter

Boowho??
Old 07-16-2015, 04:26 PM   #10

Dometic 4 door refrig

I'm traveling and in Alaska our 2015 Sunseeker .The Dometic rifrig quit cooling on both electric and on gas.We were near Anchorage so checked the Dometic web page for service sites.I contacted a total of 6 different ones.No one was interested in servicing the unit in less a 2 to three week wait.We are presenting using it as a ice box .The sunseeker dealer service manager said they would not work on the unit as we did not buy it from them until after labor day.we were able to get a appointment with another repair shop for july 24 when we would be back in Anchorge but were told they would test the unit and if we needed a new cooling unit it would take at least 3 weeks to get the parts. That's my experience todate.
Seymour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 05:38 PM   #11

Seymour,
First, congrats on your new Sunseeker and welcome to the FORUMS!! Hope you get your refrigerator working soon and that future trips are trouble free. Just to state the obvious, did you check all of your fuses? Also, there may be a fuse that you need to access from the outside. Open the outside cover and see if there is a small, square cover. Remove the cover and there should be a fuse mounted to the board under the cover.
Good luck and I hope that you get your problem solved quickly.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, door, fridge