Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2013, 07:05 PM   #1

Door Deadbolt

We have a 2011 Berkshire 390BH-60 and we have had this unit for a year. SInce we picked the unit up the deadbolt will not engage. We have had the unit in to the dealer on numberous occassions with no success in resolving the issue. Is this a common problem with this Berkshire model? If anyone else has had a similiar problem please let me know if you found a resolution.

Thanks

Georg & Diana
GHodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:38 PM   #2

GHodge,
I have the same model and year that you have. I had the same problem with the deadbolt lock. I had the local dealer adjust the door several times, the last using some kind of fixture they got from FR. It works better but requires the closing the door with a lot of pressure to get the deadbolt to lock. I do believe FR has a problem with the door frames or their vendor supplied door.

cudntherd
cudntherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:00 AM   #3

I had the same problem. My guess is the screw template was messed up. I ended up taking the striker plate off the unit, redrilling one of the holes, reattaching and tehn fine tuning with a file.

It took me the better part of an afternoon.

I have found that FR has been less than helpful when it came to warranty work and was not real keen about paying a third party tech $180/hr to do what I could fix myself.

Good luck
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:05 AM   #4

Forgot to mention ...

Faulty step motor, AC/Heatpump and rear door glide are also very common issues. AC and Step I went directly thru Dometic and Lippert and had no issues getting them replaced. With the from AC/Heatpump I upgraded to a 15 from a 13.5 cost to me was about $500-600
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:12 PM   #5

I had this issue right after we got ours and I finely fix it in less then 10 min. I took a file to the part of the bolt that was hitting in my case the bottom and removed enough to close smoothly. I also removed some metal from the stricter plate with out removing the plate. I then took some emery sand paper And smoothed it out. Looks great and works easy every time. It cost nothing and like I said took ten minutes.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:40 PM   #6

I have the same issue in my Charleston. I've been trying to take some metal off the strike plate but haven't been able to get enough clearance yet. My next step is going to be to remove the plate completely and move it, then trim the door frame as needed. Didn't catch it in PDI because the lock/bolt turns halfway, seems like its working, only to discover later that it is not.
goscubadive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:55 PM   #7

Our deadbolt is also hard to engage on our 2013 FL 390. We have to push on the door to get it to lock. We also find the door/wind noise to be unacceptable. FR and our dealer are working on a list of 25 warranty items after our first trip. I am confident that everything will be taken care of. Frank
frankatp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:37 PM   #8

I will be having my step motor replaced for the 2nd time this spring.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:23 PM   #9

Dead bolt

I have a 2012 390bh with the same issue with the dead bolt. The dealer has tried several times to resolve the issue and also eliminate the wind whistle noise at 45 mph. The easiest way I have found is to put pressure on the door while locking and unlocking the door. Also had a problem with the door latch in that if the door was slammed too hard you could not open the door from the outside. This was a big problem. After having the coach 2 months the step motor had to be replaced. Still love the coach
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:59 PM   #10

I had same problem from new. take off strike plate and grind out the front entirely. file smooth and re-install, the door frame still stop the door from opening with dead bolt close, it is very tight the way they make it. my door also squeaks going down road. i fix most of it by adjusting the screen door, and level the main door. still does it but only once a while.