Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2012, 11:03 AM   #1

Driver Side Window Noise

I have a 2012 Berkshire 36-FWS. The window next to the drivers seat rattles. When I reach about 40 mph and above, the window rattles at the point where they meet in the middle and where the window lock is located. As a temporary fix, I have cut a piece of weather stripping the length of that overlap joint, and wedged it between the two windows. It has corrected the problem, but everytime I need to open the window, the weather stripping comes out. Does anyone know of a permanent fix to this problem? Have others had the same issue? Thanks for any feedback.
BrakeBuddy
hawk10eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

If you will do a search on here, it has been covered. I don't have a motor home, but remember reading a couple of post about this. Might even find a fix.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:24 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

OK, found it, there is a repair kit. Check this thread: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ems-24127.html

Seems this one was fixed under warranty. About post #4 or 5 or so.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:22 PM   #4

Thanks for the information Windrider. Looks like I will contact the dealer or Forest River directly to see if they can ship me the fix, or at least send it to the dealer for them to repair. Thanks again.
BrakeBuddy
hawk10eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:20 PM   #5

Angry

My local dealer replaced my noisy window under warranty. The new window glass is much thicker and prone to less vibration. It still rattles but nowhere near as bad as before.
Berk390QS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #6

Hawk My old drivers window was not fixable. It was the window with a large slide open on the bottom and nothing would make it quit rattling. They replaced the window and the new on has a smaller slide on the bottom and has no wind noise or rattle. It is the same manufacture but a redesign. I thought that had this fixed for the 12 but I think 62 in right lane had the same issue and his might be a 12 not sure. He checks in often so he can let you know. Call your dealer if you have the large slide on the bottom and the will know about it.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:45 PM   #7
410 QS 425 2011 Birkshire

Replaced the plastic window lock with a metal one , no more rattling or wind noise and now it locks and unlocks with ease
malewis49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:51 PM   #8
marialee-Berkshire410qs

malewis49, where did you get a metal window lock?
Thanks
marialee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:00 AM   #9
410 QS 425 2011 Birkshire

Got them at Lazydays RV when I had My coach in for serviced last year. had several window fixed including the drivers window which did not open easy but rattled all the time. I payed $4.82 each PN 33068 Handle Window RH Black.
malewis49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:02 AM   #10

If I remember correctly you have a new MH. There is a known issue with the large slide windows on the Berkshire and they will replace the window for free. It it a much nicer window and is totally quiet and has no wind noise. The smaller window is still big enough to pay tolls or whatever.
If anyone wants a extra screen for the large window it's yours for the shipping.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Hawk My old drivers window was not fixable. It was the window with a large slide open on the bottom and nothing would make it quit rattling. They replaced the window and the new on has a smaller slide on the bottom and has no wind noise or rattle. It is the same manufacture but a redesign. I thought that had this fixed for the 12 but I think 62 in right lane had the same issue and his might be a 12 not sure. He checks in often so he can let you know. Call your dealer if you have the large slide on the bottom and the will know about it.
Hawk, If you haven't already, get it replaced under warranty. My 2012 360FWS came with a drivers window that rattled. I had it replaced at the Factory. FR warranty department is aware of the problem and had the window manufacturer do a re-design to eliminate the issue.

The sliding part of the original window was about 2/3 of the total window size. The sliding part of the new window is about 1/3 of the total window. We now have zero rattle and the cockpit is very quiet.
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #12

2012 Driver's Side Window

I also experienced a problem with the driver's side window. After nearly 2 months in the shop, and having the window replaced twice, the dealer finally installed a larger window with a smaller opening on the bottom. The new window is so large that it extends upwards behind the overhead cabinets. With the clear glass you could see the back of the cabinets. Not pretty. The dealer covered that portion of the window with sun screen film. I'm not sure how long that will last. All in all it was a very poor retrofit.

My question is, was the original window double paned? The new one is not. Should it be?
daheater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by daheater View Post
I also experienced a problem with the driver's side window. After nearly 2 months in the shop, and having the window replaced twice, the dealer finally installed a larger window with a smaller opening on the bottom. The new window is so large that it extends upwards behind the overhead cabinets. With the clear glass you could see the back of the cabinets. Not pretty. The dealer covered that portion of the window with sun screen film. I'm not sure how long that will last. All in all it was a very poor retrofit.

My question is, was the original window double paned? The new one is not. Should it be?
I'm not sure about the total window being bigger than the original one that rattled. Our's is the same size as the original but with a much smaller opening portion at the bottom. I think it does extend up behind the cabinet but it is not noticable from the outside or inside. The windows are so dark you can't see in. Not even in normal daylight with the shades up.

At the very top on the inside there is a film, but you have to get behind the valance and the day night shade to even see it. I have absolutly no issue with the window and position in our coach.

The drivers window is not double pane glass. All others are. I was told double pane was a safety issue in that location.
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:44 PM   #14

Anyone have this problem fixed out of warranty? I bought mine used and need to have the window replaced, it rattles pretty annoyingly!
dogsgocamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #15

I don't know what year MH you have but this was.a known issue and should have been replaced under warranty. I would call Forest River and see if they will cover it. They are good people and they just might.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:35 PM   #16

Any contact number available for FR?
1 Cockatiel-Lucky
Old 03-01-2013, 08:39 PM   #17

(574) 295-2117 I think that will get you started. There is a guy that does warranty work I think his name is Matt. If not ask for Randy Houser. He runs the parts and warranty dept.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:43 PM   #18

Thanks!
1 Cockatiel-Lucky
Old 03-01-2013, 08:44 PM   #19

No problem. Let us know how it works out.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:29 AM   #20

Thank you for this forum. My window has been rattling since day one and if it wasn't for the sharing and advice here I would have not known it could be repaired. I am having my step motor repaired for the second time next week. I had the transformer changed and I will be making my appointment for the recall diode soon. Anything else I should be aware of or have checked? I am still learning the ins and outs of my mh.