Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2016, 02:22 PM   #21
KAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilhouettePenny View Post
Unless I've got tonights' winning PowerBall ticket (first time ever playing) then the only Berk I'll ever see will soon belong to BamaBob.
Somebody in Tennessee won, was it you?
KAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 03:24 PM   #22

KISS! I will keep my keys.
Old 01-14-2016, 03:46 PM   #23

Key what key??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Not really Paul - but the convenience of keeping the fob in your pocket and not having a key (or key ring full of keys) dangling from the ignition is really nice. Also I guess I should have elaborated what a "keyless ignition" really does.

For example, the fob for our car can stay in my pocket, yet when I get close to the car, the car senses the fob and:
  • In the dark turns on the puddle & door lights.
  • When I pull the door handle, the car automatically unlocks.
  • If I get close to the trunk it beeps and after 3 sec opens the trunk.
  • When you walk away from the car and the car can no longer sense the fob, all the doors lock.
  • When I am in the driver's seat I push the start button and the engine starts or I push and Hold and the ACC feature is activated.
Translate this to the Berkshire:
  • In the dark, when you get close to the door, the awning and step lights turn on.
  • Pull the door handle, the door automatically unlocks.
  • When you get close to a basement door, it unlocks for you (conversely, when you press "lock" on the fob all compartments lock, press twice and the Front Door locks as well.
  • When in the captain's chair, push the start button and the engine starts or push and Hold and the ACC feature is activated.
just a little bit more than pushing a button
Bob folks have been saying this about rv's for many years, it is only in the last few years that they have finally trying to get caught up with all the other things folks what. As for the Berkshire it self, you have to remember that it is built on a "BUS CHASSIS" so it has always been in the trucking/bus industry that all the bells and whistles that are in cars rarely never show up in trucks, and if they do it takes 10 or more years to do so.

Sorry for the short history lesson but this is how it works. So the key fob thing is a HUGE jump as far as that industry is concerned.

Hope this help and Happy Camping
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 04:44 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback 35ts View Post
Bob folks have been saying this about rv's for many years, it is only in the last few years that they have finally trying to get caught up with all the other things folks what. As for the Berkshire it self, you have to remember that it is built on a "BUS CHASSIS" so it has always been in the trucking/bus industry that all the bells and whistles that are in cars rarely never show up in trucks, and if they do it takes 10 or more years to do so.

Sorry for the short history lesson but this is how it works. So the key fob thing is a HUGE jump as far as that industry is concerned.

Hope this help and Happy Camping

Forest River moho's are not built on "BUS CHASSIS". They are built on Freightliner Custom Chassis.
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 05:00 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Boy View Post
Forest River moho's are not built on "BUS CHASSIS". They are built on Freightliner Custom Chassis.

X2!

Jason

2014 Berkshire 390BH
2011 Cadillac SRX (toad)
FB
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 09:12 AM   #26

The Keyless Start sounds Great to me,,, I have arthritis in my right hand,,, and it is a pain to turn the key in my 03 F-150 !!! 2011 EDGE is not bad,,, key in the dash,,, 2013 Sunseeker not real easy either !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 11:25 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
The Keyless Start sounds Great to me,,, I have arthritis in my right hand,,, and it is a real B to turn the key in my 03 F-150 !!! 2011 EDGE is not bad,,, key in the dash,,, 2013 Sunseeker not real easy either !!!

Odd how little things make a difference. Who would have ever expected a little thing like turning a key would give any of us a concern years ago. Now it matters. I don't have that issue although I love the keyless ignition. I do have other issues that make it difficult to do simple tasks and I feel your pain. Lol. Be well.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 04:25 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Odd how little things make a difference. Who would have ever expected a little thing like turning a key would give any of us a concern years ago. Now it matters. I don't have that issue although I love the keyless ignition. I do have other issues that make it difficult to do simple tasks and I feel your pain. Lol. Be well.
LOL Phil (and Wolverine),

Like a friend of mine said "Getting old is tough! Definitely not for wimps!"
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 05:16 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Not really Paul - but the convenience of keeping the fob in your pocket and not having a key (or key ring full of keys) dangling from the ignition is really nice. Also I guess I should have elaborated what a "keyless ignition" really does.
Just one thing about those fobs that don't have to be inserted into the dash board - if the vehicle is running (car or RV) and the driver is not the one with the key fob, you can be in for a big surprise. Say husband has key fob and drives to work with wife, or wife drives, husband drops off and she drives away. When she gets home or to her work, she can turn it off but not back on again. Same thing could happen with an RV although you are less likely to be in different locations. But, for example, if the person not filling the fuel tank has the fob and goes to the rest room and then stops to pick up some snacks, etc., the RV cannot be moved out of the pump lane until he or she returns.

(Oh, I have heard people tell stories of this happening with cars...)

The other aspects are all nice!
MNtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:05 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
Just one thing about those fobs that don't have to be inserted into the dash board - if the vehicle is running (car or RV) and the driver is not the one with the key fob, you can be in for a big surprise. Say husband has key fob and drives to work with wife, or wife drives, husband drops off and she drives away. When she gets home or to her work, she can turn it off but not back on again. Same thing could happen with an RV although you are less likely to be in different locations. But, for example, if the person not filling the fuel tank has the fob and goes to the rest room and then stops to pick up some snacks, etc., the RV cannot be moved out of the pump lane until he or she returns.

(Oh, I have heard people tell stories of this happening with cars...)

The other aspects are all nice!
This is probably a little out of line but,,,
Not many things P me off more than someone leaving there vehicle @ the pump,,, while they go shopping or what ever !!! I have a name for them,,, but can not share it here !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:53 AM   #31

I don't disagree but my comment mentioned one person remaining at the pump while the other (with the fob) inadvertently taking it off to the restroom. So this is an unintended bad outcome - not a case of outright rudenes.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 01-16-2016, 11:28 AM   #32
KAS

How about if the battery in the FOB dies in the middle of nowhere and you have no replacement battery?
KAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 12:15 PM   #33

Driving a Motorhome NOT as easy as Pushing a Button!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAS View Post
How about if the battery in the FOB dies in the middle of nowhere and you have no replacement battery?

Most other vehicles with keyless ignition, you can hold the fob close to the button, and push it.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 01-16-2016, 05:05 PM   #34

Driving a Motorhome NOT as easy as Pushing a Button!

They also have a metal shank key, that is removed to unlock the door!

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 01-16-2016, 07:44 PM   #35
Site Team

The site team has had to do yet another cleanup, in yet another thread from some of the same members.

The most important guideline, and the one that is the most enforced, is the 'play nice' one.

Here is a link and copy to it. Please read it. If you don't agree with it, or it's just not something that you are capable of doing, then let one of the site team members know thru the Private Message function.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ork&page=rules

Excerpts:

Be Courteous! Our philosophy is that we want The Forest River Forums to be an online reflection of the RV'ing community. Treat each other with respect just as you would around a campfire. Here are some general guidelines that we expect you to follow:

Do not take every opportunity to express your disagreement, incite argument, insult each other, or fan flames. Voice your opinion respectfully and then let it go.

-----------------------------------------------

This one below is so important, it's even emboldened and a different color in the site guidelines:
  • We take the "be nice" rule VERY seriously! We do not tolerate any rudeness.
Any member here who has been in these forums for very long, already know this...and also know that posts not adhering to it are GOING TO BE DELETED. It seems like a silly waste of your valuable time, to type up rude, insulting, or trolling posts....when you know they are most likely going to get deleted since they don't adhere to the play nice guideline. It would be akin to waxing your RV in a rainstorm.

We would think that your time would be better spent helping your fellow friends, and typing things that will be allowed to stay so others can read it.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:24 PM   #36
Site Team

I have unapproved several of the recent posts as several posters continue to attempt to push others buttons despite a request from the site team to play nice. We will continue to monitor this thread. If the tone of the thread continues to be antagonistic the entire thread will be deleted. The forum's mission it to provide assistance and helpful communication between all Forest River Owners and prospective owners.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:31 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAS View Post
Somebody in Tennessee won, was it you?
No sir, I was not the lucky recipient nor am I remotely related to them thar folks. But I would be happy to adopt them!

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 08:13 PM   #38

I have now and have in the past had several vehicles with the fob. They always work--until they don't. My C6 Corvette could not be started with a dead fob battery,even if inserted in the slot. The key gave you access to the trunk which you had to crawl into to try and reach mechanical door release, but still car won't start without new battery. My Huyndai Genesis had to get a new computer (not just reprogrammed) because it wouldn't start. They told me they had ones that wouldn't shut off.

The keyless start on our Ford Edge makes the battery run down while towing.

The XLT has a one key system, so it's not a big deal to carry them. With all the complexities of a mh, I would rather keep it simple.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:42 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiceTheIce View Post
The keyless start on our Ford Edge makes the battery run down while towing.

The XLT has a one key system, so it's not a big deal to carry them. With all the complexities of a mh, I would rather keep it simple.

Awesome...finally get to pick the brain of someone who actually owns a XLT!

First...are you flat-towing your Edge? did not know you could.

So one key system - does that apply to the cargo doors as well or is that a separate key.

Would greatly appreciate you starting a Berkshire XLT 43A thread and give the forum a complete review (picts are nice too ) you your new prized possession!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome