Old 04-06-2013, 06:33 PM   #11

We are going to stay at Zion canyon camprground. The np campgrounds are already booked up. It looks like the berk would be ok thru the tunnel based on the length and height restrictions. I may have to unhook the toad not sure. Looks like it will be a great area to explore.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:35 PM   #12
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
Maybe I'm stupid but I'd go thru in a heartbeat with my 40' Berky. I've been thru it many times by auto; never in a coach. Problem would be the switch backs on the west end of the tunnel; but quite negotiable I believe.

The engineering of the tunnel is extremely interesting. It basically follows along the face of the cliff, and is never more that 20' feet inside the cliff wall.

I always say it's like you entered a AC outlet at floor level in a room, traveled all the way around three sides of the room (inside the wall) and then exited through another outlet near the ceiling. Plus, as you traveled inside the wall, you could look out into the room through other scattered AC outlets in the wall.

Maybe a strange analogy, but that's the way it strikes me.

Boowho??
You know - I understand your analogy

Old 04-06-2013, 06:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportracker View Post
Bryce and Zions are sort of our favorite play grounds we just love the southern part of Utah. We have a 30' Sunseeker and had no problems on the road this past Oct. There is a 15.00 fee to use the tunnel with a MH. The rangers stop traffic and wait for the tunnel to clear, once cleared they then allow the oversized traffic to use the center of the road through the tunnel. once you clear the tunnel, they allow the same for the opposite direction or return the tunnel to two way traffic. When we went through we caught the pattern so had no wait. but I believe the wait is typically only a few minutes. The drive on highway is also a wonderful treat with spectacular views, we could have stopped a dozen time to take photographs. There are some really beautiful rock formations. My wife thinks I'm very frugal I almost drove around the long loop to avoid the tunnel fee. I'm extremely glad we didn't pass it up. Well worth the drive! You should have no problems with your rig.
Yep, Bryce, Zion, Monument Valley and the area around Moab, UT are just about the most beautiful places on the face of the earth IMHO.

John Wayne said of the area "It's where God put the West".

If you're not a believer in a higher power before you see this country, you will be after. Stunning, absolutely stunning...... Even more so than the Grand Canyon.

Boowho?
Old 04-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #14

Utah

klucas,

If at all possible I would suggest you add Utah Scenic Byway Route 12 to your itinerary. It is absolutely breathtaking.

Good Luck,

AREA51
Old 04-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREA51 View Post
klucas,

If at all possible I would suggest you add Utah Scenic Byway Route 12 to your itinerary. It is absolutely breathtaking.

Good Luck,

AREA51
Ok will do. Any area better than others ? We are very excited to explore this whole area. Still a little concerned about the tunnel on the way to Zion but others have said its doable with the 40'berk. Thanks for all the advice. Ken
Old 04-07-2013, 04:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by klucas View Post
Ok will do. Any area better than others ? We are very excited to explore this whole area. Still a little concerned about the tunnel on the way to Zion but others have said its doable with the 40'berk. Thanks for all the advice. Ken
Area51:

haven't been on that one; thanks for the tip. I'll try to see it next time I'm in that area.

On the other hand one to stay off of....... UT 20 from I-15 over to US 89.

In late 2011, UT 14 from Cedar City to US 89 was closed several months due to a rock slide, so I was advised (by some idiot) to backtrack back north on I-15 to go over UT20.

There is a 16% grade on a very tight switch back. It really should be restricted to use by mountain goats, IMHO.

My old gasser had the pedal on the floor and STILL stopped dead in the lane!! I disconnected the toad and got right over. And I did say sixteen percent.

Boowho??
Old 04-07-2013, 07:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
We have reservations at Gouldings Monument Valley RV park. Have you heard any reviews of that one?
Haven't stayed there but "old man" Goulding first came there in the 1930's (maybe even 1920's) and got the place promoted as a movie filming location. You will recognize many of the monuments from old western movies.

Right there at Gouldings trading post is the cabin where John Wayne played Ethan some-body-or-other in "She wore a yellow ribbon".

Another must see in the area is UT 128 which runs along the Colorado River from Moab to I-70 about 50 miles west of Grand Junction, Colorado. I've not been to the bottom of the grand canyon but this is the next best thing and you drive instead of walk.

There are some great boon-docking sites (BLM) along that stretch of highway; the most stunning is Big Bend. If you've seen the recent Citibank commercial of the "rock climbing girl", it was shot right next to Fisher Towers along UT 128.

Also along that road you can turn off to the "village" of Castle Valley, where stands castle tower. Many commercials have been filmed at castle tower over the last 60 years or so. They've even helicopter lifted full size automobiles up on it for some spectacular shots. The top of the tower is pretty much flat, but only a few hundred square feet of surface.

If you get that way, don't miss the loop road. After passing thru Castle Valley continue on loop road and you will eventually be a few thousand feet above the valley and the sights are breathtaking. You will eventually come back into downtown Moab.

Boowho??
Old 04-07-2013, 08:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post

Haven't stayed there but "old man" Goulding first came there in the 1930's (maybe even 1920's) and got the place promoted as a movie filming location. You will recognize many of the monuments from old western movies.

Right there at Gouldings trading post is the cabin where John Wayne played Ethan some-body-or-other in "She wore a yellow ribbon".

Another must see in the area is UT 128 which runs along the Colorado River from Moab to I-70 about 50 miles west of Grand Junction, Colorado. I've not been to the bottom of the grand canyon but this is the next best thing and you drive instead of walk.

There are some great boon-docking sites (BLM) along that stretch of highway; the most stunning is Big Bend. If you've seen the recent Citibank commercial of the "rock climbing girl", it was shot right next to Fisher Towers along UT 128.

Also along that road you can turn off to the "village" of Castle Valley, where stands castle tower. Many commercials have been filmed at castle tower over the last 60 years or so. They've even helicopter lifted full size automobiles up on it for some spectacular shots. The top of the tower is pretty much flat, but only a few hundred square feet of surface.

If you get that way, don't miss the loop road. After passing thru Castle Valley continue on loop road and you will eventually be a few thousand feet above the valley and the sights are breathtaking. You will eventually come back into downtown Moab.

Boowho??
Any recommendations for the four corners area? We will be spending a night or two in blanding also. I was told to drivethe moki highway? Not in the berk but the jeep.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by klucas View Post
Any recommendations for the four corners area? We will be spending a night or two in blanding also. I was told to drivethe moki highway? Not in the berk but the jeep.
Been there, but just sorta dashed thru, there's nothing to see except the government survey marker and there are those that claim that it's not even in the right place!!! Mostly just Native Americans selling blankets, turquoise jewelry and other trinkets. At least that's the way it was 20 years ago.

Never the moki highway; can't help there. Don't even know where it's at.

However, one I forgot in that area is Arches NP right at Moab. TONS of incredible rock formations. It's a bit of a hike (1.5 miles with a 700 foot rise) but you'll see Delicate Arch which is on the Utah license plate.

I'm planning to get thru there maybe in June. I love it so much I go almost every year. Moab is EXTREMELY busy as they have some sort of festival, rally or something of that sort almost every weekend. Two years ago, there must have been 10,000 Harley Davidsons roaring around all over the place!!!

BTW, Durango, Colorado is not that far from Moab, UT and the same warning applies to Durango as well, but is a great place to visit. Bring lotsa $$$.

Boowho??
Old 04-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #20

Utah

klucas,
Try this site.

Highway 12 Scenic Byway | Utah.com

Good Luck
AREA51