Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2014, 07:17 PM   #1

Driving with Generator.

When you are driving do you run with your generator running to cool/heat the coach, and run the fridge, rather than use propane?

3rd generation Disabled Veteran, oldest son is 4th Generation Disabled Veteran...its a family tradition.
Scokat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:30 PM   #2

That's one of the reasons for the generator.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:31 PM   #3

Turn on the inverter for the refrigerator...only run the generator for A/C when we have someone with us. Haven't run the heater while underway yet

'Pa Pa's Palace'

2014 Sportscoach Crosscountry 405FK
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
CSMRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:33 PM   #4

Fenerator Usage

We don't use it for the fridge or A/C but do use it often for use of the microwave to heat stuff for on-the-road knosh. Its been a problem free habit over several years
Geri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:48 PM   #5

We end up almost always driving and running the generator for A/C in warm summer weather. If you have passengers riding anywhere other than the front seat the dash A/C will not keep the rest of the coach cool enough. Also even when it is just the two of us we have found that the coach cools down much faster once we plug in at our destination if it has been a bit pre cooled by using the generator and coach A/C units to keep the back from getting too hot. We have a 390 RB and learned the hard way arriving at a 90+ degree campsite with what seemed like radiant heat coming from the rear bath floor tile for quite a while after being parked.
mjracsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:59 PM   #6

We don't have a motorhome anymore, but did for 4 years, and as soon the rv was turned on the generator was on also. We did not paid big $ to "suffer" on the road! Ac, tv, fridge, micro, all that needs to be working when you travel with kids.lol
If you have it, enjoy it!
https://campingbuddys.shutterfly.com/
Camping Buddys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:17 PM   #7

I keep my coach plugged in 24/7 at the house and in the summer cool it down before leaving and then start the generator to keep it cool while traveling and once set up at campground it's already nice and cool inside. During colder months I usually don't use it while traveling unless my wife needs power to use the microwave or something else that the inverter is not powering. The generator does not burn that much diesel so I never think twice about running it when needed. My coach is a 2014 and I picked it up in July and I just went over 300 hours on the generator.
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:54 AM   #8

I was told by my PDI guy that it will burn less fuel to run the gen and house A/C than to run no gen and dash A/C. I have not verified this yet. But we usually travel with the gen running. For refrig, A/C, TV and micro when needed.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:02 AM   #9

I have a 5th wheel now, but when I had my Monaco it was the only way to keep the bus comfortable in the summer months going down the road. I had a QD7500 genset and it burned about .5 gallons an hour running both AC going down the road. I would barely notice the fuel burn rate
jbrostek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scokat View Post
When you are driving do you run with your generator running to cool/heat the coach, and run the fridge, rather than use propane?
I'm glad you asked the question, I was wondering the same thing. My DH took the MH out yesterday and said that when he got to the camp site it was very cool in the coach, now I know turn on the generator and heat or ac.

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePM View Post
I'm glad you asked the question, I was wondering the same thing. My DH took the MH out yesterday and said that when he got to the camp site it was very cool in the coach, now I know turn on the generator and heat or ac.

If you just need heat, you can run your furnace without the generator. If it's not to cold out, you can run your heat pumps with the generator for heat or run electric space heaters off the generator. In the summer though, you definitely need the generator to run the A/C's to keep it comfortable in the coach
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:37 PM   #12

Correct, abuse the generator, not yourself!
CT Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:13 PM   #13

How low on the fuel gauge before the generator runs out/stops running. 1/2 tank? I would think there is a safety factor for the coach.

3rd generation Disabled Veteran, oldest son is 4th Generation Disabled Veteran...its a family tradition.
Scokat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:27 PM   #14

Generator should cut off when the fuel tank on the coach reaches 1/4 tank. As for using the generator, do it as often as you can. A generator that does not get used is only good for a large repair bill when you do want to use it. IE: use it or loose it.

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:59 PM   #15

Amen yo using generator.... Thanks to a recent ice storm, I got to use my generator for 16 hrs straight and it ran like a champ......
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:27 AM   #16
2011 Berkshire 390BH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scokat View Post
How low on the fuel gauge before the generator runs out/stops running. 1/2 tank? I would think there is a safety factor for the coach.
On our 2011, the genertor stops running below 1/8 tank. Shortly after the Low Fuel warning displays on the dash.
LiteEmUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:22 AM   #17
Cyclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiteEmUp View Post
On our 2011, the genertor stops running below 1/8 tank. Shortly after the Low Fuel warning displays on the dash.
Good to know. When we returned from Florida this year, it was 5 below 0 and I ran the generator for 24 hours to keep the coach warm with electric heat. I was very surprised to find the fuel gauge on E when I took it to storage the next weekend. I didn't fill it up, but 25 gallons moved the gauge to 1/4 full. Before I leave storage next weekend, I'm going to look to see where the generator pulls its fuel. This doesn't appear to be much of a safety factor if you were using the generator while parked. But, hey, that's what that dinghy is for!

Camping nights: 2015 - 19, 2014 - 39, 2013 - 48
beipers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator