Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2016, 07:53 AM   #1

Dry camping

This weekend we dry camped for only the second time in a year and a half and I must say I was not impressed. With fresh water tank full there seemed to be way too much air in the system causing the water tank to act up. With no other source to refill fresh water tank I didn't want to risk using all my water up to purge air. I would think after camping for 3 days air would be purged but not.
Any others having similar issues and can offer a solution.

Wayne
Old 08-29-2016, 07:59 AM   #2

If there is a small leak after the pump, it will draw air into the lines as the water pump is pumping. I know this for a fact, since it happened to me. It wasa fitting not tightened correctly, but it was drawing just enough air to aerate the water out of the tap.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:25 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

This is my first thought as well. If the leak is before the pump, you won't get water, after the pump you will get "spurting".

Also, since the fresh tank depends on "levelness", an out of level rig can show water on the indicator, but suck air and not water.

The picture here shows the tank as "2/3 full" though it not be. Any attempt to add water will result in it coming out the vent pipe. Plugging the vent to force water in will burst the tank.

Now picture this same tank tilted the other way and nearly empty. The tank could easily show 1/3 full and yet the pump will be sucking air.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Horst Probe Install 019.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	118723  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
If there is a small leak after the pump, it will draw air into the lines as the water pump is pumping. I know this for a fact, since it happened to me. It wasa fitting not tightened correctly, but it was drawing just enough air to aerate the water out of the tap.

If there is a leak after the pump the pump would cycle ours does not in fact I can turn off the pump and come back 14 hours later turn the pump on and the pump does not cycle indicating to me no leaks after the pump.

Wayne
Old 08-29-2016, 01:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
This is my first thought as well. If the leak is before the pump, you won't get water, after the pump you will get "spurting".

Also, since the fresh tank depends on "levelness", an out of level rig can show water on the indicator, but suck air and not water.

The picture here shows the tank as "2/3 full" though it not be. Any attempt to add water will result in it coming out the vent pipe. Plugging the vent to force water in will burst the tank.

Now picture this same tank tilted the other way and nearly empty. The tank could easily show 1/3 full and yet the pump will be sucking air.

I purposely leveled it with the passenger side down slightly because I know the tank outlet is on the side up from the bottom so I wanted to get that 26 gals that can't be pumped out.

Wayne
Old 08-29-2016, 01:22 PM   #6

If leak is before pump, suction strainer most likely, the pump will catch up and hold its pressure. It will also sputter on the way. If leak is past the pump you'll have water everywhere!
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 03:46 PM   #7

Dry camping

Do you have a washer Wayne ? If so there might be an air pocket there. You can shut the water off to washer in the water bay. Or run a cycle thru it. But that really use up some water. I switch back and forth from pump to city water all the time. Only issue I have at times is air effecting my on demand heater.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 04:11 PM   #8

Russell no don't have a washer and dryer and manifold is shut off.

Wayne
Old 08-29-2016, 07:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15berkxl View Post
This weekend we dry camped for only the second time in a year and a half and I must say I was not impressed. With fresh water tank full there seemed to be way too much air in the system causing the water tank to act up. With no other source to refill fresh water tank I didn't want to risk using all my water up to purge air. I would think after camping for 3 days air would be purged but not.
Any others having similar issues and can offer a solution.

Wayne
I have had three different dry camping weeks and have had same thing that you are describing, however here is my 2cents.
My first was the same as yours.

My second I was in a position that I could pump water into the tank and pumped 25 gal in. That seemed to correct the problem somewhat.

My third after seeing what happened the first two times, I over filled the tank until water came out of the overfill. I did not have any air for that trip.

Making another trip this week and will do the same thing and see what happens, and will let you know the results.

Where we camp there is a place a few miles away where we can take on a load of water and not have to worry about carrying around all the extra weight.
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:41 AM   #10

When you fill the fresh water tank, I suggest watching the fill from the stupid cabinet that is a pain to open and have to prop it up with a stick. The over flow hose on mine goes up to the underside of the floor and then exits the basements. I fill my tank until the water is halfway up the over flow so it doesn't siphon any water back out of the tank.
Bunci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:54 AM   #11

Dry camping

Drill a 3/8 inch hole in the floor to let any water out that might over flow. Then pull overflow tube up above the tank. If it overflows water goes out the 3/8 hole. But it won't siphon out !! The hole left in the floor where you pull your overflow hose up will also drain any water that come out the tube. Just sand off all the excess silicon sealant that's there.

Then cut a 8" or 10" hole in the wall between the water compartment & the storage compartment. Then you can open the door in storage look right at the water tank and watch it fill. Too hard to unsnap the water compartment door. I'll attach a pic of the hole I cut.

In the pic you can tell that my water tank is empty. And I also have a lid that you can screw into the hole to close it up if you would want to.

RussellClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1472565255.527228.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	118813
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:08 AM   #12

Obviously there is a leak somewhere before the pump but most likely at the inlet of the pump. It needs to be found so the system works before your next dry camp outing. I always check everything before I leave home
Old 08-30-2016, 10:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT-RN View Post
Drill a 3/8 inch hole in the floor to let any water out that might over flow. Then pull overflow tube up above the tank. If it overflows water goes out the 3/8 hole. But it won't siphon out !! The hole left in the floor where you pull your overflow hose up will also drain any water that come out the tube. Just sand off all the excess silicon sealant that's there.

Then cut a 8" or 10" hole in the wall between the water compartment & the storage compartment. Then you can open the door in storage look right at the water tank and watch it fill. Too hard to unsnap the water compartment door. I'll attach a pic of the hole I cut.

In the pic you can tell that my water tank is empty. And I also have a lid that you can screw into the hole to close it up if you would want to.

RussellAttachment 118813

My Berk has a spot cutout looks like from the factory to me, so you can see the fresh water tank. It's in the water manifold bay and let's me see when the tank is full.
MotoxDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:59 AM   #14
Cyclone

Simple stuff first. Is the valve used to winterize the pump and plumbing system fully closed? If you have it between positions, it will act just as you describe, yet the water doesn't run out of the tank. Been there done that on my previous Berk.

2013 Silverado 3500 D CC, 2015 Jayco Eagle Premier 375bhfs

Camping nights: 2015 - 19, 2014 - 39, 2013 - 48
beipers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, dry camping