Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2016, 08:53 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
15berkxl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Mishawaka
Posts: 575
Dry camping

This weekend we dry camped for only the second time in a year and a half and I must say I was not impressed. With fresh water tank full there seemed to be way too much air in the system causing the water tank to act up. With no other source to refill fresh water tank I didn't want to risk using all my water up to purge air. I would think after camping for 3 days air would be purged but not.
Any others having similar issues and can offer a solution.


Wayne
__________________

__________________
Wayne
15berkxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:59 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
f5moab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Idaho
Posts: 1,894
If there is a small leak after the pump, it will draw air into the lines as the water pump is pumping. I know this for a fact, since it happened to me. It wasa fitting not tightened correctly, but it was drawing just enough air to aerate the water out of the tap.
__________________

__________________
Trailer: Lifted 228BH, heavy duty springs and Yokohama tires DELAMINATED ROOF
TV: 2016 GMC Sierra Z71 4x4 CC, SLT
Spare TV: Two Alaskan Malamutes

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:25 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 19,994
This is my first thought as well. If the leak is before the pump, you won't get water, after the pump you will get "spurting".

Also, since the fresh tank depends on "levelness", an out of level rig can show water on the indicator, but suck air and not water.

The picture here shows the tank as "2/3 full" though it not be. Any attempt to add water will result in it coming out the vent pipe. Plugging the vent to force water in will burst the tank.

Now picture this same tank tilted the other way and nearly empty. The tank could easily show 1/3 full and yet the pump will be sucking air.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Horst Probe Install 019.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	118723  
__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:00 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
15berkxl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Mishawaka
Posts: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
If there is a small leak after the pump, it will draw air into the lines as the water pump is pumping. I know this for a fact, since it happened to me. It wasa fitting not tightened correctly, but it was drawing just enough air to aerate the water out of the tap.

If there is a leak after the pump the pump would cycle ours does not in fact I can turn off the pump and come back 14 hours later turn the pump on and the pump does not cycle indicating to me no leaks after the pump.


Wayne
__________________
Wayne
15berkxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:06 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
15berkxl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Mishawaka
Posts: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
This is my first thought as well. If the leak is before the pump, you won't get water, after the pump you will get "spurting".



Also, since the fresh tank depends on "levelness", an out of level rig can show water on the indicator, but suck air and not water.



The picture here shows the tank as "2/3 full" though it not be. Any attempt to add water will result in it coming out the vent pipe. Plugging the vent to force water in will burst the tank.



Now picture this same tank tilted the other way and nearly empty. The tank could easily show 1/3 full and yet the pump will be sucking air.

I purposely leveled it with the passenger side down slightly because I know the tank outlet is on the side up from the bottom so I wanted to get that 26 gals that can't be pumped out.


Wayne
__________________
Wayne
15berkxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:22 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
VinceU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,287
If leak is before pump, suction strainer most likely, the pump will catch up and hold its pressure. It will also sputter on the way. If leak is past the pump you'll have water everywhere!
__________________
VinceU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 04:46 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
CAT-RN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5,029
Dry camping

Do you have a washer Wayne ? If so there might be an air pocket there. You can shut the water off to washer in the water bay. Or run a cycle thru it. But that really use up some water. I switch back and forth from pump to city water all the time. Only issue I have at times is air effecting my on demand heater.

Russell
__________________
CAT-RN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 05:11 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
15berkxl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Mishawaka
Posts: 575
Russell no don't have a washer and dryer and manifold is shut off.


Wayne
__________________
Wayne
15berkxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:01 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by 15berkxl View Post
This weekend we dry camped for only the second time in a year and a half and I must say I was not impressed. With fresh water tank full there seemed to be way too much air in the system causing the water tank to act up. With no other source to refill fresh water tank I didn't want to risk using all my water up to purge air. I would think after camping for 3 days air would be purged but not.
Any others having similar issues and can offer a solution.


Wayne
I have had three different dry camping weeks and have had same thing that you are describing, however here is my 2cents.
My first was the same as yours.

My second I was in a position that I could pump water into the tank and pumped 25 gal in. That seemed to correct the problem somewhat.

My third after seeing what happened the first two times, I over filled the tank until water came out of the overfill. I did not have any air for that trip.

Making another trip this week and will do the same thing and see what happens, and will let you know the results.

Where we camp there is a place a few miles away where we can take on a load of water and not have to worry about carrying around all the extra weight.
__________________
Joe & Kathy
2017 Berkshire 38A
Toad: 2016 Ford Edge
2016: days camped 60
2017: days camped
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:41 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 91
When you fill the fresh water tank, I suggest watching the fill from the stupid cabinet that is a pain to open and have to prop it up with a stick. The over flow hose on mine goes up to the underside of the floor and then exits the basements. I fill my tank until the water is halfway up the over flow so it doesn't siphon any water back out of the tank.
__________________

__________________
Bunci is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
camping, dry camping

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:31 PM.