Old 09-07-2013, 05:57 PM   #141

I have crawled under and verified Freightliner placed a new sticker on the front axle. But I believe its Forest River duty to provide inside stickers. I had mine done back in May and still no new inside stickers.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:19 PM   #142

FL put a new plate on my axel. I think the new stickers are going to be a issue. I don't see how FR could issue new stickers without having your empty MH at the factory to weigh. When I first talked to Randy about this he said he was working on it. I think it is more complicated than he or I first thought. We all know our GVW did not change right? I am not expecting new stickers and will just keep checking weights at the scales and keeping it as close to GVW as possible.
I have heard mixed reviews on the tires and air bag upgrade. I would love to hear what everyone's results are. Mine has been like a new MH. It made a huge huge difference. I know Boohoo said it was about the same as before but he liked it before.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:28 PM   #143

Mine is a definite improvement. Better handling, better ride, improved response to steering input. A real noticeable difference.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
Old 09-07-2013, 09:35 PM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgewant View Post
Mine is a definite improvement. Better handling, better ride, improved response to steering input. A real noticeable difference.
Did you notice a change in shift points and a lower rpm at your normal cruse speed?
Old 09-07-2013, 10:01 PM   #145

Yes I think so. I had only had the motorhome a few months when I went to Gaffney for Camp Freightliner and to have allignment checked. Also had it weighed and discovered the problem. My time behind the wheel was limited so I thought I had imagined the lower rpm and shift point changes. Thanks for asking.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
Old 09-07-2013, 10:45 PM   #146
2011 Berkshire 390BH

Capu Tech,

My new front axle sticker that I received after the retrofit was for 12,000 lbs. Did you get the same weight sticker? Based upon that, if I don't tow anything, I would think my rear weight could be 21,000 lbs. When I looked at the tire chart for the new 275's, the max weight they can handle at max pressure of 110 lbs is 22,700. Prior to the retrofit, my rear weight was rated like yours at 17,500. I also have to believe that the rear air bags that were original equipment were of a higher rating than the front air bags which they replaced. With my limited engineering knowledge (none), I have to believe that the rear tires are still the "weakest" link in the rear system. With that, I now believe I would be save up to the 21,000 lbs in the rear (I am no where near that, but it does give me some confidence that I don't have a weight issue there).

Craig

Finally completed all State visits in August 2011 with a trip to North Dakota.
Superchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:52 PM   #147

Craig
I agree with you. I don't worry about my tires like I did. I know that with FL the engineering is right and I feel I am able to carry what I need and be safe. Can't say enough about FR through this whole thing.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:46 PM   #148

You do not get a free rear axle upgrade to 21,000. It is still rated at 17,500 no matter how much bigger the tires are. The 17,500 for the rear is due to the axle itself. I agree that it is nice to have the better tires back there, but anything over 17,500 (or 19,000 for some) is still overweight.

My front did go up to 12,000. But that is because the axle was rated for that anyway, but had been limited by the tires and air bags. The rear is not rated any higher.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:59 PM   #149
2011 Berkshire 390BH

I don't know if I agree with that. My front axle was upgraded to 12,000 lbs from 10,410 lbs and all they did was replace the front airbags and the tires. Nothing was done actually to the front axle itself. Using that limited logic on my part, I have to believe that the replacement of the rear tires has to add to the weight limitation on the rear.

Finally completed all State visits in August 2011 with a trip to North Dakota.
Superchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:02 AM   #150

Except that the original tires were already rated for over 19,000...