Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2019, 06:18 AM   #1
BAC

Dual heat pump on 19 Berkshire

Do you need the additional heat pump that they offer on the 19 models or does a single heat pump do fine?
BAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:35 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAC View Post
Do you need the additional heat pump that they offer on the 19 models or does a single heat pump do fine?
I don't know what size your Berk is but in a 32' M/H it's big enough to take the chill off, and I don't think my ceiling is as high as yours. It has it's purpose and I don't think it's for pure heating, yes I would say 2. It's not much more money then a straight AC

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:44 AM   #3

Quote:
They would not install one heat pump and one not a heat pump. A heat pump system is one A/C compressor with a reversing valve to move the gas in the opposite direction.

They do not produce heat with lower than 32 degrees out side air temp.

Whether or not you need two depends on your comfort level for A/C and Heat and where and when you camp.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:48 AM   #4

I think he just said they did, not uncommon. With mine past 40 degrees you going to want to turn the furnace on.

Old 03-17-2019, 06:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
While this may be technically true for most heat pumps, don’t they really become ineffecctive at more like 42 degrees? I’m pretty sure you and others have said this. I don’t own a heat pump, so I don’t know, but I know a lot of people expect a lot more out of heat pumps than they are really capable of.

Bruce
Old 03-17-2019, 06:54 AM   #6

I’ve got the ‘19 34qs and I thought the same thing. But here’s my take after just getting back from a month-long trip ....

When you turn on the heat pump in the living area, the ceiling vents in the bedroom put out heat. So FR connected them in the ceiling apparently. If the bedroom unit was a heat pump as well, it wouldn’t be great because the noise of it would keep you awake most likely. So I actually think it’s better the way they made it.

Also, if you want heat, just plug in a small space heater. Our space heater (referenced in another thread), works very well. I woke up one night sweating because I was way too hot. I had the bedroom door closed and the space heater going, and it got tooo warm in there. So needless to say, that setup works very well.

If you’re boondocking, the propane furnace works too. There’s a vent under the bed from the furnace that is fairly weak, but does put out a little heat. I’m going to make some sort of Mod that will allow me to take the main vent hose from the furnace and direct it to the bedroom area. Because the other problem with boondocking is that if you’re doing it with your slides in, all the vents are blocked for the most part.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:56 AM   #7

Quote:
They would not install one heat pump and one not a heat pump. A heat pump system is one A/C compressor with a reversing valve to move the gas in the opposite direction.

The bedroom unit does NOT have a heat option that can be used. And the main living area unit will not come on if it’s 42deg or lower.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
While this may be technically true for most heat pumps, don’t they really become ineffecctive at more like 42 degrees? I’m pretty sure you and others have said this. I don’t own a heat pump, so I don’t know, but I know a lot of people expect a lot more out of heat pumps than they are really capable of.

Bruce
You are 100% correct!

It's is impossible to say at what temp it doesn't work. It ranges from 40 to 32 on this forum with a few "But mine works down into the 20's". Residential units work down to 32 so that it the number I use. Basically RV heat pumps are just noisy air warmers and I will ever deliberately own one because they have gone to an Air sampling system that makes they cycle on and off or keep the fan on at all times. Furnace works great for me.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:24 AM   #9

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3773.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	198979

All you need is one of these little guys. Close your bedroom door about 75% and enjoy. You won’t be wasting your LP. Plus, like I’ve stated, the furnace only has ONE little vent in the bedroom which is under the bed.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:14 AM   #10

Quote:
You are 100% correct!

It's is impossible to say at what temp it doesn't work. It ranges from 40 to 32 on this forum with a few "But mine works down into the 20's". Residential units work down to 32 so that it the number I use. Basically RV heat pumps are just noisy air warmers and I will ever deliberately own one because they have gone to an Air sampling system that makes they cycle on and off or keep the fan on at all times. Furnace works great for me.
It will work down to 32 degrees, you are absolutely correct, but the delivered temp Is not acceptable without supplemental heat such as a heat strip, same in a residential system.

Old 03-17-2019, 08:55 AM   #11
Dragonship Captain

On my 38A the front is a heat pump the rear is not.

Below 40 it's marginal, below 32 it's useless, and the "smart" thermostat WILL turn on your furnace.

Both units will reach the entire coach through the ducting.

I would like the rear to have a heat strip. I could run the front in heat pump to 40, and the rear on heat strip below. I am looking into adding that.

I see no need for dual heat pumps.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:24 AM   #12
BAC

So I take it if I was to buy a 18 with 1 heat pump in the living area that would work fine 🆚 buying more $ 2019 with upgrade to two heat pumps. Thanks for input
BAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:43 PM   #13

Quote:
So I take it if I was to buy a 18 with 1 heat pump in the living area that would work fine [emoji739] buying more $ 2019 with upgrade to two heat pumps. Thanks for input
Why is it that it cost so much to upgrade? They should give you a credit, and it doesn't cost any more to install maybe a 70 dollar stat. Nobody but you can tell you if your going to be comfortable. I new 15,000 unit cost less then 1000 dollars, then they should add a credit for the straight AC. I would question that price...look up the cost online... is this the stealer, I mean dealer sorry...

Old 03-17-2019, 05:25 PM   #14

IF that is the cost of only that upgrade. I would be wanting to dig deeper on that amount.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:28 PM   #15
Dragonship Captain

The cost of "extras" is stupid high. I got a heck of a deal regardless of the insanely inflated sticker on my coach so I didn't care. The cockpit TV was on there for $1500

'Nuff said.

Tags
berkshire, pump