Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #1

Economy mode??

2011 390RB with 340 Cummins and Allison 2500.

My control panel has a mode button, but nothing seems to happen when I press it. I've read about the red LED coming on, and maybe a display in the little window, but haven't seen either.

Is it possible to have a control with a mode button on it, but the mode switching functionality was not enabled by FL? Or perhaps it needs to go to the FL shop??

As an ex 18-wheeler driver, I'm used to staying in a higher gear as much as possible. With out being in economy mode I can't get the thing to shift to 6th, until close to 70 MPH.

The other thing that almost makes my hair stand on end, is the RPM's that the "computer" allows the engine to rev to when decelerating. I was taught as a truck driver that the RPMS should NEVER exceed about 1700. I've seen this combo ( 340/2500 ) let the revs go up close to 3000!!!

Quite frankly it scares the "stuff" outta me, since that's a lot of HEAVY parts "flying around" inside the engine; almost to the point of pistons "swapping holes".

Can anyone enlighten me?

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:39 PM   #2
2011 Berkshire 390BH

Boowho,

I have found the same thing with my "mode" light. I can never get it to come on. I have not noticed any issues in the 15,000 miles I put on last year. I still get 11.4 mpg. I find I have no issues getting to 6th gear, which is basically an overdrive gear. 5th gear is also an overdrive gear. When I asked the Freightliner Service Center about the Econ light, they said something to the affect, that it had to be programmed in. I never pursued it further, as I didn't believe it be to any advantage. As for the RPM issue, when I engage the Engine Break, I get the RPM's you mentioned we I slow down. I was told at Freightliner Camp, that is what is suppose to happen and will not harm the engine.

Craig

Finally completed all State visits in August 2011 with a trip to North Dakota.
Superchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:43 PM   #3
2011 Berkshire 390BH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchief View Post
Boowho,

I have found the same thing with my "mode" light. I can never get it to come on. I have not noticed any issues in the 15,000 miles I put on last year. I still get 11.4 mpg. I find I have no issues getting to 6th gear, which is basically an overdrive gear. 5th gear is also an overdrive gear. When I asked the Freightliner Service Center about the Econ light, they said something to the affect, that it had to be programmed in. I never pursued it further, as I didn't believe it be to any advantage. As for the RPM issue, when I engage the Engine Break, I get the RPM's you mentioned we I slow down. I was told at Freightliner Camp, that is what is suppose to happen and will not harm the engine.

Craig
I just love auto spell check!!! Not!!! It is Engine Brake and not Engine Break!!!

Finally completed all State visits in August 2011 with a trip to North Dakota.
Superchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:34 PM   #4
Berkshire 390QS

Use the mode button when going down on level roads, it just gets to 6th gear a bit quicker. Really don't notice any gas savings to speak of.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:43 AM   #5

Economy Mode

When I push Economy Mode I get a small circular red light to come on. I called Freightliner and was told it changes (lowers) the shift points by about 200 rpm. Taking a trip using Economy Mode made no noticable differnce in the MPG althjough on absolute straight and level roads I got into 6th at 65 MPH and stayed there at when I dropped to 60 MPH. Speaking with several dealers who have some knowledge that I respect I have gotten several opinions on how to use this feature. I now leave it alone and do not turn it on.

Also I'm starting to think the Hot Lines are not so Hot.

Good Luck
AREA51
AREA51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREA51 View Post
When I push Economy Mode I get a small circular red light to come on. I called Freightliner and was told it changes (lowers) the shift points by about 200 rpm. Taking a trip using Economy Mode made no noticable differnce in the MPG althjough on absolute straight and level roads I got into 6th at 65 MPH and stayed there at when I dropped to 60 MPH. Speaking with several dealers who have some knowledge that I respect I have gotten several opinions on how to use this feature. I now leave it alone and do not turn it on.

Also I'm starting to think the Hot Lines are not so Hot.

Good Luck
AREA51

Thanks... I'm going to check with FL just the same; I like to run in the highest gear possible, as much as I can. It's just a "thing" with me; when I was still driving a semi, I'd always let the rpms drop (on a hill, for example) to around 1200 before downshifting.

That's the way driving schools teach proper shifting. They also teach "progressive" shifting, where you shift sooner in the lower gears (don't let the RPMS climb) than you do in higher gears. Listen to a semi at a light sometime; a good driver will have shifted 4-5 times before he even gets across the intersection.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:00 PM   #7

mode button

I have a 2008 39QS with the 340 and 2500 tran. I pull a Jeep grand Cherokee. I have spoken to both cummins and Allison people. The mode button changes the shift points, sets them a little higher. Both companies say to use mode all the time. They say that for motor home applications we are not comming near to taxing the motor tran combination. I know when in Mode I get 1 MPG better millage.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
I have a 2008 39QS with the 340 and 2500 tran. I pull a Jeep grand Cherokee. I have spoken to both cummins and Allison people. The mode button changes the shift points, sets them a little higher. Both companies say to use mode all the time. They say that for motor home applications we are not comming near to taxing the motor tran combination. I know when in Mode I get 1 MPG better millage.
I haven't read the manual regarding this yet, but how do you put it into Mode I?

James
speedmerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:53 AM   #9

Economy Mode

speedmerchant

See attached page 7.3 fig 7.2 button #12 light #11. Just touch mode button.

Good Luck
AREA51
Attached Files
File Type: pdf fliner2008_XC_owners_manual.pdf (4.30 MB, 63 views)
Old 01-09-2013, 10:57 AM   #10

silver,
I may be remembering wrong (I did write it down but the slip of paper is not at hand right now) but when I talked to Fliner I was told Economy mode sets the shift points about 200rpm lower so you can get into 5th and 6th at a lower speed.
Good Luck
AREA51
Old 01-09-2013, 01:17 PM   #11

On our 390rb-40 (340hp) it makes a big difference. it will shift into 6th @50 mph if your foot isn't to the floor. also going up steep hills (contental divide) I take it out of enconomy mode and it downshifts sooner and carries more speed up the hill. I believe I get between 1/2 to 1 mpg more in economy mode. you should read your allison transmisson manual
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:46 PM   #12

AREA51, thanks I'll have to give it a try in a couple months when I get it out of storage for the winter.

So basically when I hit the mode button it will be put into "economy mode"? Nothing else to do, no menu to scroll through etc?
Old 01-09-2013, 11:42 PM   #13

I use the mode button all the time and it get's me into 6th gear quicker. I find that when I have the mode light on I get about .5 MPG gain. Two 800 mile round trips to Florida. First time not in economy mode second time in economy mode and gained .5 MPG

I believe it is pre-programed for economy when it leaves the factory and can be re-programed to a custom set up if the customer wants it done.

62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:03 AM   #14

Smile Again

When you first start out you are in normal operation mode for the transmation. You must always press the mode button to go to economy mode. as others have stated it will make a big difference in your millage. If you get a chance you should attend a allison transmission seminar.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:57 AM   #15

Right on, thanks guys for the info. I'll be trying the mode operation first thing in the spring. I always thought that it seemed to hold some gears too long for my liking and it sounds like this should fix that and get better mpg. I was begining to wonder as most guys say they get 10-11mpg and the best I have ever got was 9.8 but typically around 9mpg.

Thanks to all
Old 01-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #16

Economy Mode

accumack/62 rightlane
My operators manual for Allison Motorhome Series Transmissions is a 2007 January version of their publication #OM3364EN. At that time it was a GM Company. I have found on line updated versions (a May 2008 and a Decomber 2010) these are both Allison Transmission Company. Pretty much the same book. I could not find any reference to Economy Mode. However, my coach is a 2008 360QS and the chassis was produced in October 2007 and the coach was completed January 2008 and that is why I have the 2007 manual.
I did find in the fliner2008 XC owners manua,l which I recently put on the forum, the following:

on page 7.1

2500/3000/4000 MH Models
General Information
2500, 3000, and 4000 MH series automatic transmissions
have six forward speeds and one Reverse (R)
speed. These transmissions have electronic shift
controls that can be programmed to allow the use of
different numbers of geared speeds. See
Fig. 7.1.
For instance the transmission can be programmed to
operate as a 4-speed, 5-speed, or 6-speed unit in
the "primary" shift mode. If needed, a "secondary"
shift mode can be programmed to provide another
shift configuration to optimize vehicle use under different
operating conditions. To activate a secondary
shift mode, or other special function programmed into
the electronic control unit (ECU), depress the Mode
button. A label just above the Mode button identifies

the special function.

and on page 7.4

The function of the mode button may vary from
vehicle to vehicle. The label above the button
identifies the function.

A light in the upper right-hand corner of the
mode button illuminates when the mode function

is active.

I am attaching the 2007 fliner XC owners Manual and you will find this information in section 4

62 right lane has it right and that is what the information line technician also told me.

However, there was nothing in any on my documentation to tell me what the perprogrammed mode was until you read the part pn page 7.4 #9 and #10.

Good luck
AREA51
Attached Files
File Type: pdf fliner2007_XC_owners_manual.pdf (3.82 MB, 34 views)