Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2013, 11:19 PM   #21

Quote:
The only wrinkle in that, rockfordroo, is that many parks charge for electricity once you stay more than a week
OK. (I've never stayed anywhere more than about 4 days.) If that's true, then it makes the economics of going to CheapHeat even worse!! Now you've got the electric furnace PLUS the electricity costs to bounce against the propane savings, so it'll take even longer to pay back.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:51 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
OK. (I've never stayed anywhere more than about 4 days.) If that's true, then it makes the economics of going to CheapHeat even worse!! Now you've got the electric furnace PLUS the electricity costs to bounce against the propane savings, so it'll take even longer to pay back.
That I agree with, Even through the RV Dr. recommends this he is being paid to do it. You can buy a lot of propane for 1000.00. I also agree with the idea of CG raising the overnight fee to make up for there payment of electric. Which we all get caught in and have to pay higher rates.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:41 AM   #23

For what it's worth I use a quartz heater in my 35 foot motor home it does a great job and it is very low noise.
Newellri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:54 PM   #24
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
If you have poor air flow now the electric furnace will not improve the flow. It is an add on that attaches to the front of your gas furnace and uses the duct work already in the unit. You would be better off purchasing one or two small electric heaters. We have heated our trailer using a oil filled heater in the living room and a small ceramic heater in the bedroom. Outside temp. have dropped to low 20's. Trailer stayed at 70+ inside. We also used a dehumidifier to keep the moisture down. We were on a metered site and it cost us $150/month for electric. The people who were heating their trailers with propane were paying $75/ month for hydro and they had a problem keeping the heat at 70degrees in side during cold spells.

The reason this electric solution is preferred over space heaters is that it uses the existing ductwork to circulate that electric heat. In cold weather, your pipes can and do freeze up when the furnace is not run (I know this from experiance). Some have rewired their furnace fans (OC for one) so that they can use electric heaters and circulate the heat with the furnace fan. Some campers are worse than others depending on insulation, locations of water lines, under floor sheathing etc.

I am not advocating this device, but just an awareness of the issue of using space heaters without the furnace in sub freezing weather.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:57 AM   #25

It would be nice if you could run fans with no heat running.
Newellri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:01 AM   #26
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newellri View Post
Wiring the furnace fan to run without the burner is a relatively simple project. Most difficult task is removing the furnace to get to the fan motor.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:02 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newellri View Post
There is a couple of ways, 1st) you could add a switch just to bring the blower on. the 2nd way is to buy a fan center from axcel or suburban and install that. that is the correct way to do it. The fan center works the same as your house furnace. Hope that helps.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:08 AM   #28
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
There is a couple of ways, 1st) you could add a switch just to bring the blower on. the 2nd way is to buy a fan center from axcel or suburban and install that. that is the correct way to do it. The fan center works the same as your house furnace. Hope that helps.
Considered the extra fan Glen, but trying to find a place to install it that would feed all the ducts was to me a major drawback.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:16 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Considered the extra fan Glen, but trying to find a place to install it that would feed all the ducts was to me a major drawback.
The fan center only replaces the one that is installed now, that is where all your stat wires hook to. It is just a relay. You don't move any ducts it's just a controller. It will just work the same as yours Neil, but through the subase of the stat anyway how did you wire you switch in. I never did ask you that. Also quick note 9 degrees here tonight, should have listen to you and headed to Florida already.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:22 PM   #30
Plain Old Member

Anybody got any pictures or diagrams of how to wire / modify the furnace fan to run alone without burning propane? Sounds like something I'd love to do.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:45 PM   #31

Quote:
The reason this electric solution is preferred over space heaters is that it uses the existing ductwork to circulate that electric heat. In cold weather, your pipes can and do freeze up when the furnace is not run (I know this from experiance). Some have rewired their furnace fans (OC for one) so that they can use electric heaters and circulate the heat with the furnace fan. Some campers are worse than others depending on insulation, locations of water lines, under floor sheathing etc.

I am not advocating this device, but just an awareness of the issue of using space heaters without the furnace in sub freezing weather.
I agree with what you are saying but the OP said that he had poor air flow to some area and wanted to know if the electric furnace would improve air flow. If you have poor air flow the electric furnace will not improve the flow as it uses the existing fan and duct work. One option is to use a booster on the vent to increase flow.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:29 PM   #32

I like the idea of this "Cheapheat" system to keep my camper nice and warm and not worry about propane tanks going empty. I think it would also be a huge convenience while at a CG with electricity factored in the cost of the site.

When propane tanks can get filled at a reasonable price it's not too bad...BUT when you fill a 30lb tank for $30, it doesn't take long at those absurd prices to pay for this system!
Old 04-05-2014, 09:28 PM   #33

Where the heck can you fill a 30lb tank for $30 bucks???? That stuff is $3.50 - $3.70 a lb around here....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:42 PM   #34
Oklahoma Proud

We ordered the electric fireplace on our new sabre.
I'm curious as to what the cost of the electric fire place cost on electric usage vs. Propane.

Also to the previous poster, I believe that propane is sold by the gallon. And a gallon weighs 4.2lb so a 30# bottle will hold a little over 7 gallons, so even at $4 a gallon (which is crazy high, if you lock in a contract you can get around $1.69 a gal) that would be about $28 -30 a bottle to fill.
I just wonder how fast that electric heater is gonna make the meter spin when I have my own meter on a seasonal site!

MillerTime- Future Sabre Handler!!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:47 PM   #35
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

We supplement with a small edenpure at night when we have shore power. works great and keeps the moisture down.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:00 AM   #36
2011 Berkshire 390BH

I recently paid $4.59 a gallon for propane in Georgia, which is about what I normally pay for a gallon of propane from a RV Dealer or Campground. I found that you must ensure that they have the large nozzle attachment to fit a motorhome connection however. I have tried getting it at places that fill bottles, but I can never find one with the larger connector.

On my 2011 Berkshire Bunkhouse the propane tank capacity is stated in both gallons and pounds: Propane Capacity (gal / lbs): 24.5 / 103.9

Finally completed all State visits in August 2011 with a trip to North Dakota.
Superchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:02 AM   #37
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Just put 250 gallon in home tank last week.
1.36 a gallon

TURBS

Sabre owners united!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:19 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
Where the heck can you fill a 30lb tank for $30 bucks???? That stuff is $3.50 - $3.70 a lb around here....
Apples vs Oranges..... Pounds vs Gallons.....

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, furnace