Old 02-21-2015, 11:38 PM   #1

Electric problems and a/c problems

Had a small heater plugged in and lost power to the outlet, bunk house outlets, and main TV. Not sure if this is related but the A/C runs when it is set to furnace. Help

Old 02-22-2015, 12:15 AM   #2

Sounds like you just tripped a breaker or your GFCI. Turn off all the electrical devices and reset your GFCI outlets. Switch your 120v outlet breakers off, and then back on again. Once remedied, plug your heater into a different outlet.

As for the A/C running when set to furnace.. the A/C is actually not running.. it's just the fans. Check on your thermostat that your fan is set to "auto" rather than "on".

Old 02-22-2015, 12:22 AM   #3

Electric problems and a/c problems

Checked GFI, trip them and reset them but didn't help. No tripped beakers. Was told I'd might be that I lost half of my transfer switch does this sound right. Someone Else had said that it might be a tripped on the inverter. Not sure where that would be located
Old 02-22-2015, 12:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgllt View Post
Checked GFI, trip them and reset them but didn't help. No tripped beakers. Was told I'd might be that I lost half of my transfer switch does this sound right.
If there are other outlets in your rig that are still hot, then no. It's not your transfer switch. If all outlets and other 120v appliances are dead (check the microwave display), then it's possible that you tripped the breaker out on the power pole you're plugged in to. That would be my next guess. If THAT isn't tripped, then it's possible you do have a faulty transfer switch.

If you have a built in genset you can kick that over and see if your 120v outlets get hot. If not, the next test you can try is to hit your battery disconnect. If the lights stay on with the battery disconnected, then it's not your transfer switch. If they go off, then it could be.

If they DO go off... before assuming it's the transfer switch... I would disconnect your rigs power cable (both ends) and inspect them for any burn marks or damage of any kind to ensure it's simply not just a power transfer issue. Then I would check the outlet you are plugged in to to ensure the outlet is receiving power.

If there is no discoloration or obvious damage, then plug both ends back in securely, reset all of your breakers (main breaker as well). If the problem is not resolved, THEN I would say it is probably your transfer switch.

To verify that, remove the power distribution panel and use a voltmeter to test the incoming power upstream of the transfer switch. If the incoming lines are hot, then you just confirmed you need a new switch.

Taking a step back.. if some of your 120v outlets ARE hot, then forget all of the above. LOL 9 times out of 10 it will either be a faulty breaker or GFI.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:42 AM   #5

I assumed you were running on shore power... You're running off a batteries/inverter? If so, what size of inverter do you have?
Old 02-22-2015, 12:45 AM   #6

Where can I get a wiring schematic?
Old 02-22-2015, 12:50 AM   #7

Unfortunately, Forest River doesn't release wiring schematics. They vary too much even within the same make model and year.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:52 AM   #8

If your rig is plugged in externally, then you are running on shore power... not an inverter. The other person might have meant your converter.. but that is strictly for your 12v systems. Completely separate from your 120v outlets.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:55 AM   #9

Yeah that's what I thought too. Everything works except for the two outlets in the bunkhouse the two outlets on that same wall for the wardrobe and the two main TV outlet
Old 02-22-2015, 01:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgllt View Post
Yeah that's what I thought too. Everything works except for the two outlets in the bunkhouse the two outlets on that same wall for the wardrobe and the two main TV outlet
Then it has to be a faulty GFI (if one is wired on that circuit), or a faulty breaker. It may not appear to be tripped, so ensure you actually flip it full off then back on again.

The only other thing it could be is in the wiring itself. To diagnose that you would need to do a continuity test.

For tonight though, I would just run an extension cord from a working outlet and worry about it in the morning. Just to ensure it's not a faulty electric heater, you might consider running just your furnace.

RV wiring can be really wonky. It's good to test all outlets to see exactly what is on which circuit. I know.. right.. a wiring schematic would REALLY be a handy thing to have.

Tags
electric