Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2015, 01:47 PM   #1

Electrical head scratcher

My Berkshire 390bh-60 is at Camping World for a surge protector installation. They called this morning telling me that when they plugged the power in the lights were "strobing" and the 110 outlets had no power. Any thoughts?
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 01:56 PM   #2

So let me see if I have this right. Camping world is hooking up a new surge protector and its not working right and instead of them figuring it out and fixing whatever they did wrong they call you? Yup you went to camping world alright.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:58 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddupton View Post
So let me see if I have this right. Camping world is hooking up a new surge protector and its not working right and instead of them figuring it out and fixing whatever they did wrong they call you? Yup you went to camping world alright.
Wondering the same myself

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "2 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 02:36 PM   #4

I generally try to approach a problem by thinking first, "how could I create that condition if I wanted to?". The only thing I can think of in your situation is to kill all the breakers, except the overhead lights, then have my trained chipmunk slip behind the power distribution box door and flip the overheads off and on repeatedly to the tune of "Living in America".

But whata I know!?
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 02:37 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
I generally try to approach a problem by thinking first, "how could I create that condition if I wanted to?". The only thing I can think of in your situation is to kill all the breakers, except the overhead lights, then have my trained chipmunk slip behind the power distribution box door and flip the overheads off and on repeatedly to the tune of "Living in America".

But whata I know!?
I was thinking hells bells.

TURBS
2015 camping "2 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 05:31 PM   #6

Thanks for the helpful post fellas.

Paulie, obviously they did not install it correctly. IF they cannot figure out what they did. Have them take the surge protector back out and try to plug in and see if the same thing happens.

If not then the surge protector could be bad or like I said they did something wrong.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:34 PM   #7

You may want to try an inverter reset.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
NV245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 05:48 PM   #8

Installing a hard wired surge protector is not very difficult. I would think that even CW could handle that job. I wonder if they disconnect the battery (I would) when they installed it? That would not explain the AC issue. That's all I got sorry but I'm at a loss as to how that would get screwed up.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
Thanks for the helpful post fellas.

Paulie, obviously they did not install it correctly. IF they cannot figure out what they did. Have them take the surge protector back out and try to plug in and see if the same thing happens.

If not then the surge protector could be bad or like I said they did something wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NV245 View Post
You may want to try an inverter reset.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Then again, you may want to give STRONG consideration to picking up your RV at your earliest opportunity. When I take something in for installation/service, and that place calls ME to help them troubleshoot an issue, that tells me I've taken it to the WRONG place!
10K WD Equal-i-zer Hitch
2015 Coachmen Catalina 273BH
LANShark42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:07 PM   #10

Let me clarify before the lynch mob gathers. Prior to installing the surge protector, CW techs plugged the 50 amp cord into a supply line discovering the issue with the lights "strobing" and the 110 outlets without power. They found a loose wire at a connection in the transfer switch. All is well now with the systems.
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
I was thinking hells bells.

TURBS
2015 camping "2 nights"
Hmm -- could be back in black.
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddupton View Post
Ask one who had not one, but two, Fantastic Fans installed BACKWARDS!! and get this, by their Technician of the Month!!!!
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 12:51 PM   #13

I'll pick up my rope...lol. Glad you got things worked out Paulie.
Old 04-30-2015, 01:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Boy View Post
My Berkshire 390bh-60 is at Camping World for a surge protector installation. They called this morning telling me that when they plugged the power in the lights were "strobing" and the 110 outlets had no power. Any thoughts?
Wow. Only at CW could that happen. Can't believe they called you instead of disconnecting the surge protector and see if the problem persists and/or as others have stated, turn all breakers off, then back on one at a time to isolate the issue.
Old 04-30-2015, 01:23 PM   #15

usually when you have crazy things going on with a circuit, the neutral is most of the time the culprit, and finding where the problem is sometimes takes forever, and very mind boggling experience, have been there more time than I like to think about, in the past, retired now don't have to deal with it anymore,
hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical