Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2015, 05:39 PM   #21

I love learning and hearing this stuff from MH owners! Good to hear these opinions for when we take that next step from the 5th wheel to a "bigger diesel." I do own the 1 ton Dodge/Cummins that pulls our unit and after 220,000 miles I've only had to replace the water pump (which is easy) and a few sensors! My point is, I would lean toward doing once-a-month runs. for all of those crazy sensors that are on diesel engines of EVERY size. By no means am I an expert, but when I've left my truck sitting for any number of reasons, the engine seemed a little off. The nature of any diesel is: They LOVE to run!! Just my 2 cents! Best wishes to y'all
RingoRoy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 05:52 PM   #22

The cruise control does have the higher idle feature by sliding over the resume button...but I don't think it bumps it up to 1100 rpm though
tnbendr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 07:09 PM   #23

I think mines around 1000.
I'll check tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-25-2015, 07:42 PM   #24

[QUOTE=RingoRoy15;1043462]I love learning and hearing this stuff from MH owners! Good to hear these opinions for when we take that next step from the 5th wheel to a "bigger diesel." I do own the 1 ton Dodge/Cummins that pulls our unit and after 220,000 miles I've only had to replace the water pump (which is easy) and a few sensors! My point is, I would lean toward doing once-a-month runs. for all of those crazy sensors that are on diesel engines of EVERY size. By no means am I an expert, but when I've left my truck sitting for any number of reasons, the engine seemed a little off. The nature of any diesel is: They LOVE to run!! Just my 2 cents! Best wishes to y'all[/QUOTE

Hey Ringo, we also love hearing stuff from other motorhome owners. That has taught many of us new things and saved us problems through others' experiences. Motorhome owner or not, all of us here are fans of the camping world and can learn a lot from each other. Good to hear all views...

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:40 PM   #25

[QUOTE=gasman94;1043555]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RingoRoy15 View Post
I love learning and hearing this stuff from MH owners! Good to hear these opinions for when we take that next step from the 5th wheel to a "bigger diesel." I do own the 1 ton Dodge/Cummins that pulls our unit and after 220,000 miles I've only had to replace the water pump (which is easy) and a few sensors! My point is, I would lean toward doing once-a-month runs. for all of those crazy sensors that are on diesel engines of EVERY size. By no means am I an expert, but when I've left my truck sitting for any number of reasons, the engine seemed a little off. The nature of any diesel is: They LOVE to run!! Just my 2 cents! Best wishes to y'all[/QUOTE

Hey Ringo, we also love hearing stuff from other motorhome owners. That has taught many of us new things and saved us problems through others' experiences. Motorhome owner or not, all of us here are fans of the camping world and can learn a lot from each other. Good to hear all views...

Rich

X2

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 06:30 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-RV View Post
Running the Cummins diesel at low idle (700 rpm) for lengthy periods is not recommended by Cummins. A fast-idle (1100rpm) is recommended.

I'm sure that many know and many do not know how to fast idle. While idling, with the cruise control on, you either depress the Set or slide the Resume switch. Phil, bail me out here.

Hank

You are spot on Hank.

Paul
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 06:38 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbendr View Post
The cruise control does have the higher idle feature by sliding over the resume button...but I don't think it bumps it up to 1100 rpm though

High idle
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1448581133.530156.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	95083
Old 11-26-2015, 06:46 PM   #28

I Can't WAIT until we get our Berk!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 09:50 PM   #29

Per FL- fast idle press On then Set.