Old 03-31-2019, 07:12 PM   #1

Engine Brake & Check Engine light

Anyone have any idea where to check first besides going to a Freightliner dealer? A little while after starting the Engine this morning the check engine light came on. Oil pres, battery voltage and engine temp were reading in right positions on gauges. I stopped and turned engine off, waited 30 seconds and restarted engine. Check engine light was back on.
After a short drive and going down hill I flipped the Engine Brake switch and NOTHING happened.

Where is the fuse - or circuit breaker for this circuit?
Thanks, Ernie

Old 03-31-2019, 07:15 PM   #2
Prime Member

Do you have an ODB2 code reader? What are the fault codes?

2016 Coachmen Freedom Express Liberty Edition 310BHDS
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ 6.6L V8 Duramax
Husky weight distribution hitch with sway control
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 07:25 PM   #3

I do not have a code reader.
That's why I was thinking of trying to find a Freightliner dealer, I'm presently in Flagstaff, AZ.
Old 03-31-2019, 07:34 PM   #4
Lacey's Spring, AL

Exclamation

what you may be seeing is actually an 'emissions' alert, not a 'check engine' light, though it's outline looks like it.

check out my photo from mine today...

I just drove 420 miles today, w to e across North Carolina, but this 'emissions' alert came on just 10 miles into the trip.

I've seen this before, this is the fourth time in 4 1/2 years and over 91,000 miles...

The first, was 10 miles out from my NC home, where I then called FL and CUMMINS for their opinions. Cummins said that it was simply an emissions alert that something within the exhaust/emissions/def system was giving false readings to the system, possibly a NoX sensor gone bad.
Drove it 1,000 miles before I got it to Cummins in FtWayne, where they replace the NoX sensor, which solved the alert light issue.

I do remember several others time, seeing this emissions alert, if not temporarily.
One was when my DEF level fell below 1/4 tank. Solved when I filled the tank.
One was when I was 'close' to 1/4 tank, but even after stopping at a gas station and finding no DEF available, it went OFF after a few more miles of driving, on it's own.

Today was the fourth, and I assumed that it has something to do with the emissions, though I won't know for some time, at least until tomorrow when I can dive more into the possibilities, and try to remember how FL showed me how to find the 'code' within their dash system readout.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	emissions alert.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	361.1 KB
ID:	200398  

The Turners
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish, 100w/5amps roof SOLAR, BlueOx, 100,000+mi since '14... US, Alaska, and Canada... from W.C. Georgia, then W. North Carolina, now Lacey's Spring, AL : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 07:39 PM   #5

If you have a Freightliner you can read the codes using the Message Center on the dash. You can access the diagnostic, chassis setup, as well as set time, etc. Start the coach, and the display should be the Pre-Checklist. Push the toggle to the left to get out of the checklist. Then, push the toggle and hold it to the right until the screen changes. You will see a new menu and you can access the listed codes there.
Old 03-31-2019, 07:49 PM   #6
Berkshire 390QS

Yep, check your code from dash, then call freightliner and ask what the codes mean. Had the check engine light come on and freightliner told me it was a emission sensor and safe to drive. Skip
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 08:07 PM   #7
Dragonship Captain

The code(s) can indeed be retrieved from the LBCU. (Light Bar Control Unit) which is the proper name for the display in the instrument cluster.

You do not need to start the coach, you do need to have the ignition on. And, if you want the warning to shut up you need to build air.

The instructions are in the Freightliner chassis operators manual. if you don't have one you can download it on the FCCC website.

https://www.fcccrv.com/parts-and-service/downloads/
Old 03-31-2019, 08:09 PM   #8

Jvalich - Thanks for the training exercise!!!! Just to answer the question at hand - I showed " 0 Active Eng Faults". I am parked for the night. The Check engine light did not come on all the while I was going through the check list and programing my service intervals (as I had never known how to get to these addresses).
With the air brake on and my brake pedal engaged, I did put the transmission in Drive and the light still did not come on. Hopefully everything works as designed tomorrow morning! Headed back to WI, 2,000 mile trip.

Thanks for the training exercise...!!!!!!
Old 03-31-2019, 08:28 PM   #9

Itíll also say ďcheck engineĒ which can be unsettling....🤨🤨🤨🤨
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 09:09 PM   #10

I had an intermittent check engine light as well right after I purchased the coach. Code will only show when there is an active fault. If you didnít see any performance issues IĒd be leaning to an emissions issue. Call freightliners support line with the code once you have it and they will be able to tell you if itís safe to use. Mine was a NOX sensor post turbo. Cummins repaired under the emissions warranty. Code will be rather cryptic. With Cummins itís a SPN # followed a FMI number.

Tags
check, light