Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2016, 01:18 AM   #1
Dragonship Captain

Engine Codes On Diesel

I remember reading somewhere that the diesels have OBD requirements like passenger vehicles, the exact details elude me.

With passenger vehicles the connections are standard and $49.95 buys a code reader which is especially helpful for pesky little intermittent problems.

Wonder if there is a way for you to get a code reader and nail it down when it does it.
Old 11-28-2016, 07:56 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarvan View Post
I remember reading somewhere that the diesels have OBD requirements like passenger vehicles, the exact details elude me.

With passenger vehicles the connections are standard and $49.95 buys a code reader which is especially helpful for pesky little intermittent problems.

Wonder if there is a way for you to get a code reader and nail it down when it does it.
I think Cummings uses J1939 not OBDII. With that thought in mind here is an inexpensive ($100) code reader that could be left plugged in and when the error comes up then read the codes.

Universal Heavy Duty Scanner Diesel Truck OBD2 HD-Reader Truck Diagnostic Tool | eBay

https://www.amazon.com/Scanner-NexLi...=NexLink+NL102

Let us know if you buy so we can know how it works.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 01:54 PM   #3

This Thread has Morphed into a General Discussion of Manuals and Code Readers

I notice that my thread on Air Bag Non-Inflation has morphed into an interesting discussion of manuals, particularly Berkshire manuals and now, more specifically, into engine code readers.

The problem with this morphing is that it makes it harder for a new MH owner to find this valuable information on code readers because they never would guess that to be the outcome of a discussion of airbag inflation.

Thus, I'm hoping that the Forum Moderator is watching and will break off this thread to a new thread and give it a meaningful title.

I must confess that I'm partly at fault here, because I introduced the discussion of manuals in my concern about air bags, so you can slap my wrists with a wet noodle.
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2579202
Toad: 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4; Formerly: 2005 Acura EL (aka Honda Civic)
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 02:14 PM   #4

Code Readers, and Interpreting their codes

Notwithstanding my earlier comment concerning the forking of this thread to code readers, I'll chime in with some information I've dug up on codes and code readers. I hope the Moderator will move it to a new thread along with all the other code reader material.

I, too, have been concerned about the Yellow "Check Engine Light", so I looked for the code on the LBCU, and then dug up some information on the internet. I'm not sure whether the LBCU gives as much detail as a separate code reader.

So, here is what I found:
  • The Yellow codes are warnings and can reset themselves after a few cycles of operations, according to Cummins.
    https://cumminsengines.com/powerspec...iver-technique
  • I found a pdf document about Thomas buses (built by Freightliner), which I attach, since I lost my link to the source. Pages 27ff has fault codes for Cummins ISB and ISC engines, and Pages 81ff have fault codes for Allison Transmissions. I was able to use these to realize that it was complaining that it thought I was idling too much and that the code should reset after 3 cycles of the engine.
  • Looking at the earlier Amazon links to code readers, I found that one will actually provide code information on the Airbags. I didn't get any messages on my LBCU when my airbags failed to inflate, so I suspect that these readers only give messages regarding failure of the airbag system itself. For example, they are supposed to level the coach while driving, and they may give codes if it can't do that. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UJV3FUC?psc=1
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2579202
Toad: 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4; Formerly: 2005 Acura EL (aka Honda Civic)
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 03:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonsick View Post
[*] Looking at the earlier Amazon links to code readers, I found that one will actually provide code information on the Airbags. I didn't get any messages on my LBCU when my airbags failed to inflate, so I suspect that these readers only give messages regarding failure of the airbag system itself. For example, they are supposed to level the coach while driving, and they may give codes if it can't do that. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UJV3FUC?psc=1
[/LIST]
Be careful when choosing a scan tool for our diesel motorhomes. The one referenced above is for a GAS engine and not diesel. Also the air bags mentioned are the safety airbags found in today's cars, not the diesel suspension air bags.

It can get tricky when choosing a scan tool. OBDII is GAS only and has the flat connector not our round connector. Look at my earlier post for suggested scan tools that do diesel.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:18 PM   #6
Dragonship Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
The one referenced above is for a GAS engine and not diesel.

It sez.... "Universal-Heavy-Duty-Scanner-Diesel-Truck-OBD2-HD-Reader-Truck-Diagnostic-Tool"

Also the plugs in the picture look pretty round to me.....

But, I could be wrong.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:15 PM   #7
Site Team

Engine Codes On Diesel

This thread has been split off from another unrelated thead at OP's request

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarvan View Post
It sez.... "Universal-Heavy-Duty-Scanner-Diesel-Truck-OBD2-HD-Reader-Truck-Diagnostic-Tool"

Also the plugs in the picture look pretty round to me.....

But, I could be wrong.
If you like "Foxwell Nt630 Pro Professional Engine/Abs/Airbag Sas Diagnostic Scan Tool,Can Obdii/Eobd Fault Code Reader" at address

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UJV3FUC?psc=1

go for it. Let us know how it works.

As I said earlier Cummings uses J1939 not OBDII. With that thought in mind here are two inexpensive (about $100) code scanners that should work. If you read the entire descriptions in addition to reading OBD II they Read J1939.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-He...-/131965691568

https://www.amazon.com/Scanner-NexLi...=NexLink+NL102
Old 11-28-2016, 08:42 PM   #9
Dragonship Captain

Getting my links mixed up. My bad.
Old 11-29-2016, 02:29 PM   #10
jkoenig24

I have a 2015 Dynamax DX3-37RB. Coming home on my last trip, the amber "Check Engine" light came on. I stopped and checked the Freightliner Manual. There were NO numbers or letters, just the amber CE light. The manual just said it was a "non-specific" emissions problem. I got to a Pilot Truck Stop where for about $80, the technician plugged a nine-pin connector into the OBD port under the dash. He could only tell me that it appeared to be an O2 sensor and, although he could reset the Fault Code, he could not repair / replace the sensor. He told me I should be OK to drive the 400 miles home. The code reappeared on the way but, I made it home OK. When I called the local Freightliner shop, they advised that my RV's VIN was NOT in the system! Apparently, Dynamax misentered the VIN. That got straightened out in a few days and, I got over to the Freightliner shop. They told me that if the Fault Code had not been triggered again, they would not know what the problem was. Since it happened to be tripped, the shop determined it was a bad NOX sensor and replaced it. I had just over 25,000 miles on my RV in 2.5 years. I asked if it was normal for an emissions part to fail so early with so few miles. I was told it was not unusual. Fortunately, emissions parts are warranted for 100,000 mile (IF your RV's VIN was properly registered). I then checked with two auto mechanics I trust. BOTH recommended AGAINST my spending money on a code reader. They both told me that, contrary to the law that gave us OBD, ALL vehicle manufacturers keep their codes proprietary! Any generic code reader you buy will NOT have true data. Both mechanics told me that even the dealerships MUST rent the code readers they use (for $10,000.00+/year) because even dealers cannot get the informations that the manufacturers keep secret.

Bottom line; don't waste money on an OBD code reader; you won't get the information you need (and truck OBD readers are obscenely expensive).
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 04:39 PM   #11

My Dodge/Cummins has the OBD connector and I use my standard code reader to read and clear codes.
traindrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 05:08 PM   #12

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
I am confused. If OBD readers are expensive it is not reflected on any search I have found. May not be apples to apples but didn't the truck stop tell you what the problem was and location?

My Auto Zone told me the location and problem on my 2006 when I had an issue. Both times it was glow plugs. My 2013 gave me a CEL and Auto Zone scanned it and told me I had an issues with my NOX. Dealer changed it at no cost and GM had sent me a letter extending the warranty on that item. Can't remember the exact name but this was an emission item that many have called the 9th injector.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 05:28 PM   #13

I have had Freightliner at Gaffney, at a cost of $100 (said that this was due to the cost of the software) check the codes with their laptop. They said that there was no indication of any issues even though I keep getting a message on the 'light bar control unit' message area saying '!check engine'. Since they couldn't find any issues, they said that I should have Cummins check the computer. Went to a Cummins shop, which was about a 1/2 hour from the Gaffney service center and they hooked up their computer to check for stored codes. They said that they couldn't find anything that would cause that message to show up. I think that these people really have their proverbial thumbs up their '*****'. There has to be a condition (or set of conditions) that cause that message to appear. I am at a loss as to where to look next for an answer. I guess I just have to keep my fingers crossed and hope that it doesn't morph into a hard check engine/stop engine condition!!
As a side note- if neither Freightliner nor Cummins can find any issues using their computers and software, using a generic ODB (or what ever reader is needed) will never find the problem!

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:16 PM   #14

Here's what I use & it always gets manufactures codes, this tool is available at NAPA & is a professional HD truck code reader with 9 & 7 pin connectors:

https://www.otctools.com/products/3418-hd-reader

Codes can come & go depending on if the issue is occurring at the time.
It is best to have codes checked when the light is on, maybe drive it for awhile & not shut it off.

Sorry to say many shop techs do not fully understand the systems & conditions that cause check lights to come on.

David & Mary Button - Ithaca NY
2011 Dynaquest XL 36' Freightliner
Cummins ISC 330HP/1000TQ
dbutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:22 PM   #15
jkoenig24

OTC 3418 HD READER

Almost $500 MSRP; $360 on sale. Truck OBD readers ARE expensive!

And that's just the initial hardware purchase. How much will software updates (if you can get them) set you back?
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:24 PM   #16

No updates required, it's just a code reader.
Yep it costs but so doesn't a trip to the repair center!

David & Mary Button - Ithaca NY
2011 Dynaquest XL 36' Freightliner
Cummins ISC 330HP/1000TQ
dbutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 10:03 PM   #17

Wow more hose the consumer info !!! but im not surprized, The dealers want you to bring it back for servise, and the tech i go to says the codes have to be read ans interpred, and basic knowledge applied for diagstics,
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 10:23 AM   #18

Hi Tom, Bob Myers here. I had the same issue last winter. I added on to my storage building and parked the rig at a friends where it had a wood pile on one side and weeds and brush at the rear and other side. All was fine when I brought it back to the barn in late December but when I wanted to take it out for a drive in January I had the problem. Thinking I had brought a critter back with me and it had chewed on wires I investigated and found a huge bundle of wires at the bottom left area of the engine with a junction box that had started to separate on one side. I couldn't force it back together. Got a large zip tie and brought it together with that and problem solved.
SK65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 11:24 AM   #19

Bob,
As soon as it stops raining here I will take a look. I assume that when you say the bottom left, you mean as you look at the back of the coach. Also, were you able to get to the wires from underneath?
Thanks for the info.
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 12:51 PM   #20

Tom,
Yes, by using the jacks I could create enough space to squeeze underneath on the drivers side. As I said I couldn't get enough pressure on it by hand with available space but could with zip tie. If this is your problem should be able to see it with a flashlight without sliding under. Hi to Margaret and have a great holiday season.
Bob
SK65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel