Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2019, 03:54 PM   #1

Engine - turned off by its own for a couple of seconds

The other day while driving down Interstate with cruise set at 70 mph and probably going right at that desired speed the engine just 'turned off'! All dash gauges, tach and speedometer went towards zero. The in a matter of very few seconds, less than 5, the engine turned back on. No codes were set, no check engine light ever came on either. Then I drove home another 1,800 miles with not hic-cups! Anyone else ever have something like this?
Thanks,
Old 04-09-2019, 04:18 PM   #2

Yes, happened to me and several others. I don't believe anyone has figured out what cause of that yet.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by erniet View Post
The other day while driving down Interstate with cruise set at 70 mph and probably going right at that desired speed the engine just 'turned off'! All dash gauges, tach and speedometer went towards zero. The in a matter of very few seconds, less than 5, the engine turned back on. No codes were set, no check engine light ever came on either. Then I drove home another 1,800 miles with not hic-cups! Anyone else ever have something like this?
Thanks,
You may want to check the internet and search for factory recalls on that model of Silverado.
Your year and model are not listed.
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxkp View Post
You may want to check the internet and search for factory recalls on that model of Silverado.
Your year and model are not listed.
Actually the profile says 2007 Silverado, but I believe she's having problems with her motor home.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:42 PM   #5
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
Actually the profile says 2007 Silverado, but I believe she's having problems with her motor home.
X2, the Berkshire is their motorhome and the Silverado is their toad.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 05:07 PM   #6

It was aliens

Attached Images

B&W Companion 20K for OEM pucks.
SecretSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 05:31 PM   #7

I have also had this shutdown occur a few times to me. As the OP stated, no codes set and no check engine light. As secret squirrel stated- must be aliens!!(LOL!) Have not seen Freightliner or anyone else come up with a solution to this issue.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 06:55 PM   #8

A total electrical power loss is most likely caused by the chassis battery disconnect.

1- Check that all cables are firmly connected to the battery terminals and no corrosion present.
2- Check the "Negative" cable (usually black) cable are properly grounded, no corrosion, and firmly connected to the frame of the couch.

3-Follow the "Positive" cable (usually red) out of the battery into the master switch or disconnect relay or any device in line with that cable from the coach battery as that battery is the one to keep all alive.
I have read another thread here with similar issue and one of those devices were faulty.
I hope it helps some.

Legacy C38. 2018.
South Texas.
SPCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCF View Post
A total electrical power loss is most likely caused by the chassis battery disconnect.

1- Check that all cables are firmly connected to the battery terminals and no corrosion present.
2- Check the "Negative" cable (usually black) cable are properly grounded, no corrosion, and firmly connected to the frame of the couch.

3-Follow the "Positive" cable (usually red) out of the battery into the master switch or disconnect relay or any device in line with that cable from the coach battery as that battery is the one to keep all alive.
I have read another thread here with similar issue and one of those devices were faulty.
I hope it helps some.
Would't you be able to run the coach just off the alternate . once started the battery should be able to be disconnected and the alt keeps it going ? /i could see a problem with the ignition switch
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:37 PM   #10
Apple Valley, CA

Engine stopped

3 years ago I had the same exact problem twice. Once was on the freeway, the second time was on the off-ramp. That one worried me a little bit. It hasn't happened since then. Keeping my fingers crossed must work.
RLloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel View Post

I'm pretty sure it wasn't aliens. I know where they are, but it could be aliens.
Full Time in the Summer, soon
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
Silly of me; missing something that obvious.
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxkp View Post
Silly of me; missing something that obvious.
It does say the Silverado is her tow vehicle, so maybe she's pulling the Berkshire witj it. Lol
Old 04-10-2019, 12:23 PM   #14

Read this if you haven't... The answer may be here in the BBC

https://groups.io/g/alfaseeya/topic/...0,2,0,18105187
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 02:45 PM   #15

Loss of power - intermittentantly

I had a Chevy 1 ton pickup that did this several times....and it was tough tracking it down.

The problem was in the main power 'feed'. Imagine a very heavy cable to the starter motor - and then from there - a smaller gauge cable that came up from the starter motor terminal and fed all the 12 V circuits. The terminal on that cable was loose enough to cause this problem.

Fixing - I hammered the terminal crimp a bit - then soldered it (using a propane torch.) I also ran alternate power lines to the main distribution bus.

I would suggest that you look at the larger power cables - and look for a loose terminal - (nut loose) - or a poor crimp. It will be early in the power distribution system.
vineyardmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 03:01 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to RNuzzolo Send a message via MSN to RNuzzolo Send a message via Yahoo to RNuzzolo
Engine Turn off by its self

I have a 2010 Berkshire that I bought used in 2013. I had the same issue with my coach. I took it to Freightliner in Gaffney and because it was a very intermittent problem they were not optimistic that would be able to diagnose it however when they were ready to move the coach out of the garage it shut down just like it did driving down the highway. Fortunately they were able to diagnose the problem as the ignition. I do not remember exactly what the issue was except the technician told me it had something to do with tumblers within the ignition. I have not had the issue again so I'm assuming they corrected the problem. I hope this help you and anyone else with this issue.

Plus all Canadian Provinces except Manitoba and Saskatchewan

Camping History: 2014 - 240 days. 2015 - 210 days.
2016 - 265 days. 2017 - 244 days. 2018 - 217. 2019 -196 and now full-timing
RNuzzolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCF View Post

I hope it helps some.
This...I had this problem on a vehicle and the battery connections were loose. Tightened them up and no more issues for me.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:09 PM   #18
Dragonship Captain

While there are a number of causes that will make a vehicle go dead, power cables, ignition switches etc. there have been a number of FL cases where it was "something else" and what still hasn't been determined.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:10 AM   #19

Get it fixed. Probably electrical black box problem. Losing power can be really dangerous at the wrong time. It can get you killed. I had a similar problem with an auto trans.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 02:04 PM   #20
Dragonship Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post
Get it fixed. Probably electrical black box problem. Losing power can be really dangerous at the wrong time. It can get you killed. I had a similar problem with an auto trans.
Did you copy the "still not determined" part?