Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2012, 08:40 AM   #1

Entry step problem

The automatic step on our new 2011 Berkshire seems to be malfunctioning. When it retracts and is all the way in the motor still tries to work and makes a clunk clunk clunk noise. This first happened when my wife opened the door to quickly ckeck something just before we got going (engine was running) then closed the door quickly. Was this possibly caused by the step trying to retract before it was all the way out and not sure if doing that is a no no? Now sometimes the step wont come out when the door is opened but when it does it doesnt seem like it is out tightly and when retracts when door is closed it keeps making the clunking noise for a few seconds.
Is it possible that it just jumped a gear and maybe I can adjust it? I stopped at a dealer that carries other brands and happened to mention this to him and he thought that it shouldnt affect or hurt the step funtion to quickly open and close the door but couldnt offer any further opinion without looking at it. A quick call to my dealer led them to the thought they might have to replace the whole step assembly if it is malfunctioning.
Anyone have some advice to help me try to fix it and save a 7 hour round trip back to the dealer? Thanks!
mjracsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjracsj
The automatic step on our new 2011 Berkshire seems to be malfunctioning. When it retracts and is all the way in the motor still tries to work and makes a clunk clunk clunk noise. This first happened when my wife opened the door to quickly ckeck something just before we got going (engine was running) then closed the door quickly. Was this possibly caused by the step trying to retract before it was all the way out and not sure if doing that is a no no? Now sometimes the step wont come out when the door is opened but when it does it doesnt seem like it is out tightly and when retracts when door is closed it keeps making the clunking noise for a few seconds.
Is it possible that it just jumped a gear and maybe I can adjust it? I stopped at a dealer that carries other brands and happened to mention this to him and he thought that it shouldnt affect or hurt the step funtion to quickly open and close the door but couldnt offer any further opinion without looking at it. A quick call to my dealer led them to the thought they might have to replace the whole step assembly if it is malfunctioning.
Anyone have some advice to help me try to fix it and save a 7 hour round trip back to the dealer? Thanks!
I have the same issue after I had the step controller replaced, waiting to see replies.
billygo3251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:50 PM   #3

If someone careful lays to the side and watch the step operate, you'll quickly see what's happening. Sometimes it's the "wiper" motor could be drive linkage slipping it's retainer plate. Gears don't strip and continue to work for long. The motor has lots of torque geared down, stay clear
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU
If someone careful lays to the side and watch the step operate, you'll quickly see what's happening. Sometimes it's the "wiper" motor could be drive linkage slipping it's retainer plate. Gears don't strip and continue to work for long. The motor has lots of torque geared down, stay clear
Thank you I will check that.
billygo3251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:01 PM   #5

So mine seems to have been at least for now "corrected" by again quickly opening the closing the door and now it thinks it is back to "ok" --- is this a hazard and if it continues again should we stand back and just take it back or is there anything anyone thinks we can or should do?
Old 06-24-2012, 08:33 AM   #6

The sound is, metal under stress, either gear teeth or screwed studs. Eventually the grinding will shear the failing piece and the step will be free to open or close ...quickly unrestrained. I found mine in this early noisy cond. And managed to sight the the loose ball stud and corrected it before failure.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:07 AM   #7

Entry step issues

Step is made by "Quicky Step". Our 2011. BH 390 also clunked after the door closed, I opened/closed it a few times to see what the source was when it jamed closed. The half inch bolt that allows the gears to rotate had sheared! I took the step off the motorhome & into my dealers shop for warranty replacment but as it wasn't a Forest River issue they would go after Quicky Step for a new bolt- wait time around 2-3 weeks. What a joke. Had a machine shop make a new one, cost $100.00. These steps require periodic maintenance, bolt tightening, lubrication, and inspections after bad weather long distance travel. I plan. On following this issue up with the step manufacturer and will post my progress.
ruffis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:04 PM   #8

Good to know and thanks for the info!
Old 06-27-2012, 09:21 PM   #9

The proper name is "Kwikee Step", thanks Google! I e-mailed my broken bolt story to their warranty dept. & Bill got right back to me. Their products carry a 2 yr. warranty but I have stopped go thru my dealership. This I will do to get a replacement bolt. I will post how long this takes.
ruffis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:45 PM   #10

Had the whole step assembly replaced to include the controller. Works Ok now but occasionally it seems to go stupid. This is a weak spot in all Berkshires from what I understand, but overall, they need to get a better manufacturer for a part that is so critical to the overall experience. Still love our Berkie.
bakcraker is offline   Reply With Quote