Old 09-09-2014, 11:14 PM   #11

Jason

I used to follow a similar method until I experienced the žnfamous pogo stick effect. Several posts would indicated that this is caused when the retract all is activated when the air pressure is too low.

I had the pogo stick act twice .... since following the new procedure I have had no future problems.

Tim

Old 09-09-2014, 11:54 PM   #12

Where the heck is the high idle button????

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 09-10-2014, 09:06 AM   #13
2011 Berkshire 390BH

Ernest, it is the cruise control button. I believe you hit it twice. Craig

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Finally completed all State visits in August 2011 with a trip to North Dakota.
Superchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:03 AM   #14

Turn on the cruise control and hit the button on the end of the directional stalk. That should engage the high idle.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:19 PM   #15

There is actually two different settings for the high idle, ensure the cruise switch is on and if you press the button at the end once it will set the idle to about 1200. If you press the button that turns the cruise on further in, it sets it to 1000 RPM'S.

The reason I start the coach and leave it running while retracting the jacks is to prevent the pogo bucking rough ride. I read on here about that happening so that's why I start the coach and leave it running through the whole process. When you secure the leveling power you will here a click, I believe that is the switch for the valve to allow your suspension to air up. When I hear it click, is when I see the coach start to raise up. If the coach is not running and you don't secure power then wait to long before starting the coach, i believe the coach will not air up the suspension because the valve remains open and won't air up..... The method I use has worked for me every time with no issues

Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 09-18-2014, 02:52 PM   #16

Equalizer jacks will not allow air to build before retract all

Hi everyone, my apologies for responding so late but I wanted to let you know what the conclusion of this story is after going to Freightliner. I meant to respond earlier as we knew we did not have an air leak, Mike and I both have our air brake license and we do our pre trip inspection every time we get on the road, but yes that is certainly crucial if you are not building air pressure and getting alarms! The issue at hand is simply this, when you power up your coach you should NOT have to retract all on your jacks immediately for the air pressure to build up your suspension. When firing up our coach it would build up air pressure, but leak out the suspension at the same time, until we would hit retract all on the jacks and then the leak of air we could hear coming out of the suspension would stop and the pressure would build up. We could not power off the jacks either and they would beep at us. So when we went to the Freightliner facility they tested our jacks, air system and were pretty sure all was fine! It took me a bit of time after the technician ran through his diagnostics with me to convey to him how this system is supposed to work. You are not supposed to have to retract all for your suspension to build. I even showed him the equalizer documentation that states "If your coach is equipped with air suspension it is recommended to start your coach and allow the chassis air to build up before pressing the All retract. This will ensure adequate air supply to the chassis air valves." This is in the Helpful hints in the manual. In any case he finally understood and said yes now that makes perfect sense, the coach should not be with no air in the suspension when you retract the jacks. So off he went and did his investigation, I believe he went to Berkshire and Freightliner. An hour later it was fixed. It turns out the valve itself was not defective but some plastic hose/line? Was not connected which was causing this. The hardest part he said was reaching it as it was above or near a fuel cel, they had to jack up the coach and send in their smallest guy to connect it! Now it is working as designed. I apologize for the long post but I think the explanation of how it is supposed to work and I our case what the issue was could be helpful to others. I also understand from some others that this can also be caused by a faulty valve. However this is the way the system was/is designed to work! Hope this helps!
Old 09-18-2014, 03:57 PM   #17

Sylvie,
Glad they were able to fix the problem and thanks for the update.
Now it's time to hit the road and enjoy your coach.
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 05:37 PM   #18

Thank Tom!
Old 09-18-2014, 09:29 PM   #19

I'm glad you got her fixed, so you are saying our air bags should fill with air even though we are sitting on our jacks? I'm confused.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:34 AM   #20

Yes. I am saying that when you start up the coach you should not retract all jacks right away you should let the pressure build. This is for a couple of reasons, clearance underneath the coach, if there is no air in the suspension and you drop the jacks there could potentially be hazards under the coach as it drops, depending what your site is like and another reason is that it is not great for the suspension when you drop your jacks to have no air in the system. I believe this contributes to that pogo stick effect that some people were talking about on this thread of posts! Randy at the factory had also told us we were supposed to build air pressure before hitting retract all.

Tags
equalizer, jacks