Old 04-22-2019, 01:35 AM   #1

Equalizing my motorhome house batteries

For multiple reasons I plan on removing the batteries from the motorhome to equalize them. I am thinking about getting a good battery charger vs hiring a repair shop.

Has anyone equalized their house batteries with an external battery charger?
If so, can you give me some specs on your charger. Any sideline hints are welcome too.

Thanks!

Old 04-22-2019, 08:48 AM   #2
Dragonship Captain

The Magnum inverter/charger with the newer remote on my 2017 has an equalization process built in. There are people on these pages that have upgraded their remotes if you have the old one. It adds quite a bit of functionality and it's easy to do.

This alleviates the need to take the batteries out.

Using an external I would take a hard look at the "Genius" brand battery chargers. I am quite impressed with mine. Not looking at it here so I don't know if it has equalization built in, but I know some do.

Old 04-22-2019, 09:32 AM   #3
Lacey's Spring, AL

yes, your Magnum inverter/charger already has an Equalize function:

while on Shore Power, press and HOLD the Charger button
(or you may have to access your Inverter's menu if you have a newer system)

equalize will start, and run for about 4 hours, and you may hear boiling sounds from the batteries as they are in a 'controlled' overcharge during that time.

The equalizer will automatically stop when finished.

The Turners
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish, 100w/5amps roof SOLAR, BlueOx, 100,000+mi since '14... US, Alaska, and Canada... from W.C. Georgia, then W. North Carolina, now Lacey's Spring, AL : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:32 AM   #4
Dragonship Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
yes, your Magnum inverter/charger already has an Equalize function:

while on Shore Power, press and HOLD the Charger button
(or you may have to access your Inverter's menu if you have a newer system)

equalize will start, and run for about 4 hours, and you may hear boiling sounds from the batteries as they are in a 'controlled' overcharge during that time.

The equalizer will automatically stop when finished.
If he has the older remote in his 2014 it will NOT equalize.

He should do more than "hear boiling sounds". The best way to monitor an equalization is to measure specific gravity and monitor.

Also, you'll be losing water so have the water can handy.

I did a writeup here: https://dragonship.blog/batteries/
Old 04-24-2019, 07:57 AM   #5
Lacey's Spring, AL

hmmmm... my 'older' 2014 Magnum remote has the feature...
and yes, the 'boiling' sound is indicative of the 'controlled' charging, I've done this many times over the 4 1/2 years and 95,000 miles... it has worked very well, and probably why my 'stock' factory FLA batteries are still working just fine after all this time.

The Turners
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish, 100w/5amps roof SOLAR, BlueOx, 100,000+mi since '14... US, Alaska, and Canada... from W.C. Georgia, then W. North Carolina, now Lacey's Spring, AL : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:17 AM   #6
Dragonship Captain

Yes, not abusing them and maintaining them makes a huge difference. Mine are 3 years old and still going strong.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:08 PM   #7

I live in The Villages, Fl.. I have a 48 volt golf cart . It has 8 6 volt Trojan batteries that it runs on. My range with this golf cart, carrying two adults on one charge is 248 miles. I have tried to run them down. I have been told by the mechanics that built my golf cart from scratch that the batteries become equalized only through use. You can place a load on them to bring them down and then charge them up, and you have to do it about 3 or 4 times. The battery techs recommend a slow discharge. Preferably over a 24 hour period. After that, you do not have to have any concerns. My batteries have lasted me for 10 years. They are finally showing their age and I am looking to replace. I am considering lithium but will not go that way unless there is a significant discount. Oh, by the way... TESLA is going to build a RV battery that fits under the rig starting in 2021. Techs say it will power everything including an air conditioner.....
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 11:19 PM   #8

I just replaced my 7 year old Costco Kirkland Golf 6 volters. I use a computer controlled remote charger for equalizing, which brings them up to 15.3-4. Because of the higher voltage, I always disconnect the positive ( its closest) to protect electronics inside. Depending on how low the voltage is when hooking up charger, I set the amperage for charge accordingly. My settings are 2, 12, 25 amp. usually use 12.

boatcat AH6NR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, motorhome