Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2015, 07:46 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Campin Cajun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Cut Off, La.
Posts: 1,830
I don't know which is best as far as plugged or unplugged when running the gen, I unplug from shore when I run my gen.

The one thing I know for sure is you should run your gen with no load on it for at least 15 minutes to remove any moisture from it before adding a load. Once the load is added listen to the gen go from an idle to a higher RPM, it will switch back and forth while loads are applied and come off the gen. Let this go on for at least 10 cycles which is usually about an hour or so.
__________________

__________________
2013 Berkshire 390BH
Campin Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:53 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
15berkxl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Mishawaka
Posts: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAS View Post
When I bought my MH in 2014 I was warned by the dealer to NEVER! run the generator while being plugged into shore power or it could fry the circuits. So why take the chance?
He also told me half an hour every 2 weeks is plenty to "exercise" the generator as compared to 1 hour per month (frequency is more important than duration). Makes sense.

I can't speak for your dealer but I can tell you without doubt the shore power and generator are wired into the transfer switch it is impossible to have both energized at the same time so nothing can get fried. The generator has priority.


Wayne
__________________

__________________
Wayne
15berkxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:34 PM   #13
KAS
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: VIRGINIA
Posts: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by 15berkxl View Post
I can't speak for your dealer but I can tell you without doubt the shore power and generator are wired into the transfer switch it is impossible to have both energized at the same time so nothing can get fried. The generator has priority.


Wayne
I wonder what he was talking about then, any ideas? I plug the MH cord into the outlet inside the storage compartment when I want to run the system off the generator. Or I plug into shore power alone. Why do both anyway? Is there any other combination possible that would be harmful?
__________________
KAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:56 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: West Michigan/Fort Myers
Posts: 3,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAS View Post
I wonder what he was talking about then, any ideas? I plug the MH cord into the outlet inside the storage compartment when I want to run the system off the generator. Or I plug into shore power alone. Why do both anyway? Is there any other combination possible that would be harmful?

Do you have a transfer switch? Is your gas or diesel? I imagine different systems yield different advice. Important to make sure what system we are talking about before taking advice on your system. Your might not be separate and you could fry the circuits.
__________________
Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:00 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: West Michigan/Fort Myers
Posts: 3,927
Joe I may get beat up for this but when I did store my rig it went into storage in November and took it out in February. I did not run the gen at all. I asked several folks that are in the diesel business and manage a Cummins shop. He said it's not gout I hurt a thing to how several months with out running it. He also encouraged me to run it for 45 minutes at a min when I did run it after several months of storage.
__________________
Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:08 PM   #16
KAS
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: VIRGINIA
Posts: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Do you have a transfer switch? Is your gas or diesel? I imagine different systems yield different advice. Important to make sure what system we are talking about before taking advice on your system. Your might not be separate and you could fry the circuits.
It's gas powered (Sunseeker 2250LE Chevy 4500 chassis). I don't see any switch anywhere in the compartment, just the socket attached to the wall next to a vented but sealed electrical box (hums when connected) and the cord with the plug on the end.
__________________
KAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:12 PM   #17
KAS
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: VIRGINIA
Posts: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5456Mich View Post
When you want to let the generator run each month for an hour or two does the shore line have to be unplugged or can you just start it ? Not sure if any harm will occur to the transfer switch.
One thing that's important: put a good fuel preservative I your gas tank, it keeps the generator from getting gummed up.
__________________
KAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:15 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: West Michigan/Fort Myers
Posts: 3,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAS View Post
One thing that's important: put a good fuel preservative I your gas tank, it keeps the generator from getting gummed up.

We are talking about a diesel gen. Yes they also benefit from an additive.
__________________
Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:19 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: West Michigan/Fort Myers
Posts: 3,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAS View Post
It's gas powered (Sunseeker 2250LE Chevy 4500 chassis). I don't see any switch anywhere in the compartment, just the socket attached to the wall next to a vented but sealed electrical box (hums when connected) and the cord with the plug on the end.


I would think that you have a transfer switch. I think you need one if you have a gen. Not sure. You might want to get specific info about your MH.
__________________
Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:21 PM   #20
KAS
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: VIRGINIA
Posts: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
I would think that you have a transfer switch. I think you need one if you have a gen. Not sure. You might want to get specific info about your MH.
Is that a manual or automatic switch?
__________________

__________________
KAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
generator

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:23 PM.