Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2015, 09:32 AM   #1

Excercising the Generator

When you want to let the generator run each month for an hour or two does the shore line have to be unplugged or can you just start it ? Not sure if any harm will occur to the transfer switch.

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:35 AM   #2

I can't give you a definitive answer. All I can say is when I do it, I unplug.
It seems no matter where you go or who you ask, you always get conflicting answers, so I play it safe and unplug.

Ken
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:17 AM   #3

Doesn't matter a bit. If the transfer switch has gen priority everything will switch over to the genset. (Not likely) If the switch has shore priority (typical), nothing will happen at all.

Actually if you are doing this to exercise the genset, I would disconnect the shorepower with some light loads on in the RV. This will let you know the genset is working correctly and load the gen a bit to allow it to heat up a bit more quickly. (and 20 mins is plenty for testing, heat cycling etc.)
HAM CALLSIGN - AI4SR
EE, IBMer, Race Car Builder, now Retired.
Jim Schings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:42 AM   #4

On the Berkshire, the generator has priority.
This was discussed recently and many (including myself) start the generator while shore power is plugged in.
Pretty much everyone said they turn off heavy loads like the air conditioner when making the switch.

Some were not comfortable doing it and always unplug first.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:46 AM   #5

X2

Wayne
Old 10-20-2015, 11:48 AM   #6

Ok thanks, just to be sure I unplugged the shore power. Probably let it run to long about 1 1/2 hrs., but I was doing things inside trying to get familiarized with things.

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 04:58 PM   #7

The Onan manual says run it for two hours. The various opinions on the Internet range from 15 minutes to the full two hours. My rig is parked 25 miles away in a storage facility (outside, covered). Two hours a month seems to be an awfully long time to go out and just sit there for two hours while it's running if it's not necessary. So do I take Jim Schings' advice (20 minutes) or 5456Mich's advice (90 minutes). Thoughts? Comments? Personal experiences?
pobox1067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 05:18 PM   #8
KAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5456Mich View Post
When you want to let the generator run each month for an hour or two does the shore line have to be unplugged or can you just start it ? Not sure if any harm will occur to the transfer switch.
When I bought my MH in 2014 I was warned by the dealer to NEVER! run the generator while being plugged into shore power or it could fry the circuits. So why take the chance?
He also told me half an hour every 2 weeks is plenty to "exercise" the generator as compared to 1 hour per month (frequency is more important than duration). Makes sense.
KAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:00 PM   #9

Seems I boondock enough that the gen gets enough of a work out but there are times at home if we miss a weekend of camping I will run it for a half hour and put some load on it. But I always unplug first.
Is there anything one should do to a generator before putting it away for the season? As long as we are talking about generators thought I would ask.
Up North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:42 PM   #10

Seems we may have a mixture of people talking about gas and diesel generators. The answers may be different depending on which type you have.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:46 PM   #11

I don't know which is best as far as plugged or unplugged when running the gen, I unplug from shore when I run my gen.

The one thing I know for sure is you should run your gen with no load on it for at least 15 minutes to remove any moisture from it before adding a load. Once the load is added listen to the gen go from an idle to a higher RPM, it will switch back and forth while loads are applied and come off the gen. Let this go on for at least 10 cycles which is usually about an hour or so.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAS View Post
When I bought my MH in 2014 I was warned by the dealer to NEVER! run the generator while being plugged into shore power or it could fry the circuits. So why take the chance?
He also told me half an hour every 2 weeks is plenty to "exercise" the generator as compared to 1 hour per month (frequency is more important than duration). Makes sense.

I can't speak for your dealer but I can tell you without doubt the shore power and generator are wired into the transfer switch it is impossible to have both energized at the same time so nothing can get fried. The generator has priority.

Wayne
Old 10-20-2015, 08:34 PM   #13
KAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15berkxl View Post
I can't speak for your dealer but I can tell you without doubt the shore power and generator are wired into the transfer switch it is impossible to have both energized at the same time so nothing can get fried. The generator has priority.

Wayne
I wonder what he was talking about then, any ideas? I plug the MH cord into the outlet inside the storage compartment when I want to run the system off the generator. Or I plug into shore power alone. Why do both anyway? Is there any other combination possible that would be harmful?
Old 10-20-2015, 08:56 PM   #14

Quote:
I wonder what he was talking about then, any ideas? I plug the MH cord into the outlet inside the storage compartment when I want to run the system off the generator. Or I plug into shore power alone. Why do both anyway? Is there any other combination possible that would be harmful?

Do you have a transfer switch? Is your gas or diesel? I imagine different systems yield different advice. Important to make sure what system we are talking about before taking advice on your system. Your might not be separate and you could fry the circuits.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:00 PM   #15

Joe I may get beat up for this but when I did store my rig it went into storage in November and took it out in February. I did not run the gen at all. I asked several folks that are in the diesel business and manage a Cummins shop. He said it's not gout I hurt a thing to how several months with out running it. He also encouraged me to run it for 45 minutes at a min when I did run it after several months of storage.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:08 PM   #16
KAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Do you have a transfer switch? Is your gas or diesel? I imagine different systems yield different advice. Important to make sure what system we are talking about before taking advice on your system. Your might not be separate and you could fry the circuits.
It's gas powered (Sunseeker 2250LE Chevy 4500 chassis). I don't see any switch anywhere in the compartment, just the socket attached to the wall next to a vented but sealed electrical box (hums when connected) and the cord with the plug on the end.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:12 PM   #17
KAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5456Mich View Post
One thing that's important: put a good fuel preservative I your gas tank, it keeps the generator from getting gummed up.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:15 PM   #18

Quote:
One thing that's important: put a good fuel preservative I your gas tank, it keeps the generator from getting gummed up.

We are talking about a diesel gen. Yes they also benefit from an additive.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:19 PM   #19

Quote:
It's gas powered (Sunseeker 2250LE Chevy 4500 chassis). I don't see any switch anywhere in the compartment, just the socket attached to the wall next to a vented but sealed electrical box (hums when connected) and the cord with the plug on the end.

I would think that you have a transfer switch. I think you need one if you have a gen. Not sure. You might want to get specific info about your MH.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:21 PM   #20
KAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
I would think that you have a transfer switch. I think you need one if you have a gen. Not sure. You might want to get specific info about your MH.
Is that a manual or automatic switch?

Tags
generator