Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2015, 12:43 PM   #1

Extended Warranties

Looking for some advice concerning the need/value of an extended warranty. Just bought a new Berk 38A and my plan is to sell it in about 2 years. coach warranty is 1 yr or 12K mi. The chassis and drive train should be gtg. Are there reasonable extended warranties to purchase because the ones they offered at the dealership were quite pricey.

TY
Ben
tnbendr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 04:07 PM   #2

It does appear to be sensible to buy an extended warranty for coverage of one year for the cabin only (all other items like the tranny, engine and chassis are covered beyond two years. The money that you pay for the warranty, repair deductibles and non-coverage labor hours will more then pay if you went out-of-pocket - IMHO
Old 05-19-2015, 04:11 PM   #3

X2
Old 05-19-2015, 04:14 PM   #4

X3
Old 05-20-2015, 12:30 AM   #5

Thanks guys. ..expecting some quotes from a few companies.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:40 AM   #6

If your rig is new (sounds like it is) did your dealer not tell you about the 2nd year warranty for $150 through Forest River? At least I think they still offer that. I DO know that dealers get a lot more kick-back on 3rd party warranties... maybe they are pushing you toward those to add more coin in their pocket.

It's been awhile since I've heard anything about FR's. It's possible they don't offer that anymore, but I would certainly ask about it. Used to be $150 to add an additional year to the factory warranty, but only within the first 10 days of ownership.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:30 AM   #7

Yarome,
That second year warranty for $150 is for camping trailers only, not class A's like the Berkshire. I wish that FR did offer that for the Berkshire.
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:27 PM   #8

We got what I think is pretty decent coverage to include roadside assistance and towing - covers major chassis drive train and MH components - exclusions are those typical maintenance items - just over 3K for 7 years. After dropping major $$$ for turbo replacement and engine cooling system repair on my last DP - am comfortable that this is a reasonable investment. We do plan to upgrade within 2-3 years, so can transfer or cancel this contract. Company is RVCARE. Might be worth a look.
Working on a second life
Fried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fried View Post
We got what I think is pretty decent coverage to include roadside assistance and towing - covers major chassis drive train and MH components - exclusions are those typical maintenance items - just over 3K for 7 years. After dropping major $$$ for turbo replacement and engine cooling system repair on my last DP - am comfortable that this is a reasonable investment. We do plan to upgrade within 2-3 years, so can transfer or cancel this contract. Company is RVCARE. Might be worth a look.
Thanks Fried, Did you go directly to RVCARE or the parent company Phoenix American Warranty Co.? This was the extended warranty offered to me by the dealership and for 7 years was $3428 w/ 200 ded. I just stumbled across Good Sam "extended service plan" which is actually insurance and not warranty and sounds very interesting...anyone familiar with that?
Old 05-22-2015, 06:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbendr View Post
Thanks Fried, Did you go directly to RVCARE or the parent company Phoenix American Warranty Co.? This was the extended warranty offered to me by the dealership and for 7 years was $3428 w/ 200 ded. I just stumbled across Good Sam "extended service plan" which is actually insurance and not warranty and sounds very interesting...anyone familiar with that?
Dealer offered - same price you quoted - think it is a reasonable offer
Working on a second life
Fried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 08:06 AM   #11

Ben
Why oh why, are you wanting to spend a lot money on an extended warranty to cover the second year for only the cabin while you own the MH. You mentioned that you would sell it after two years. Seems like you would be better off pocketing that money. My two-cents!
Old 05-24-2015, 01:05 PM   #12

Because the warranty for coach is only 1yr / 12k mi?
Old 05-24-2015, 02:12 PM   #13

I got a seven year extended warranty and have not used it yet. I have owned my 2011 for three years bought new in April 2012. The dealer quoted 5200$ and I ended up paying 2200$ there is a lot of "wiggle " room in the price of this product. I did good on that but was sucker enough to buy a special coating to protect the paint and I'm ashamed to admit a tire warranty. don't ask what I paid for that cause I'm not telling.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 05:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbendr View Post
Because the warranty for coach is only 1yr / 12k mi?
Freightliner drive train = 5 years
Allison transmission = 3 years
Appliances vary by the manufacturer but may be more than 1 year
Old 05-24-2015, 07:10 PM   #15

I'm thinking all the same thoughts too, I am more concerned about slides, leaks, exterior cargo structure, interior furnishings and those kinds of items. I found a Good Sam Extended "Service" Plan with $250 ded, $68 a mo and no down payment. It is a 4 yr plan that I can cancel at anytime for a $50 fee. Am I all wet behind the ears and worrying too much?
Old 05-24-2015, 08:09 PM   #16

Like I said in the beginning of this thread, opinions differ on this subject.

If you get piece of mind from having the EW then by all means get one.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:11 PM   #17

Extended warranties wouldn't be offered if the seller weren't making money off of them. The odds are in their favor that they won't have to pay out more than what you pay for them. It's just another form of insurance which is nothing more than legalized gambling. They are betting you won't and you are betting you will need to have repairs.

2009 Rockwood 2701SS
2008 Tundra Crewmax 5.7
bob7794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 12:49 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob7794 View Post
Extended warranties wouldn't be offered if the seller weren't making money off of them. The odds are in their favor that they won't have to pay out more than what you pay for them. It's just another form of insurance which is nothing more than legalized gambling. They are betting you won't and you are betting you will need to have repairs.
That is true Bob, insurance is something you have for peace of mind hoping you never have to use it. ..and of course they make money, it's business
Thanks all!
Old 05-25-2015, 07:12 AM   #19

But, you said you would sell the MH after two years. That means only one year of non-cabin coverage. Like to also warn you that the warranty insurance does not pay (after deductible) for 100% of even a covered item. This is because they have fixed hours to fix a particular item and a great majority of repair establishments require more hours. You pay out of pocket!
Old 05-25-2015, 08:24 AM   #20

Some EWs require you to keep some maintenance records. If you cannot prove you did the maintenance they will not cover it.