Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2019, 07:08 AM   #1

Extended Warranty...maybe?

I knew that there would be offers made during the F&I portion of closing the deal.

And of course one item that I knew I would not take out "When" offered was the extended warranty. And I was quick to turn it down when the subject was brought up. I was told the suggested price of the warranty and almost fainted. Then, the price offer drop was dramatic, but I opted out. We chatted a little longer and came back to the extended warranty and I was asked it I would be interested in it at $2,500 for the 5 year/50,000 mile Diamond level plan. This is on the STAR RV vehicle service contract.

Now I find myself reconsidering as to taking it or still walking away. It does include towing (up to $1K) and road side service which means that I could cancel my GS Roadside policy. That alone would save almost $500 over the next 5 years, making the extended warranty cost now close to $2K.

What say you the masses, Jump on it, Run from it, or go enjoy an adult beverage and chill out?

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:36 AM   #2

If you're handy and a do it yourself'er maybe no need. I on the other hand am not as handy, plus there is a lot of peace of mind that comes with a 1 or 2 hundred dollar deductible. On my last extended warranty, I could bunch several small issues into one claim, so it was well worth having someone do the repairs, especially if you have a good shop or technician. Just my opinion.
Rusty
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrjen View Post
I knew that there would be offers made during the F&I portion of closing the deal.

And of course one item that I knew I would not take out "When" offered was the extended warranty. And I was quick to turn it down when the subject was brought up. I was told the suggested price of the warranty and almost fainted. Then, the price offer drop was dramatic, but I opted out. We chatted a little longer and came back to the extended warranty and I was asked it I would be interested in it at $2,500 for the 5 year/50,000 mile Diamond level plan. This is on the STAR RV vehicle service contract.

Now I find myself reconsidering as to taking it or still walking away. It does include towing (up to $1K) and road side service which means that I could cancel my GS Roadside policy. That alone would save almost $500 over the next 5 years, making the extended warranty cost now close to $2K.

What say you the masses, Jump on it, Run from it, or go enjoy an adult beverage and chill out?
Now if you buy it now, it's really 4 years for 2500.00. You would use your manufactors warranty the f rist year. Then it kicks in, also they are famous for hassling a repair, is it worth it to me no, but it could be to you. Also in the second year of ownership just about every appliance is cover the manufactors but with out labor included. Also I do not know of any that will cover adjustments. Does this also cover your power train? If not for sure I would walk away..you asked so this my opinion on them.... Hope you never need it, and you will never even have to use your first year by FR.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:45 AM   #4

I bought the warranty, because even though I am handy, my DW isn't. If something happened to me, she'd have something to help keep the RV going.

The other thing to think about is the service center at the RV dealer you purchase from. If they are good, and they get things fixed quickly and correctly, it can be a very good thing to have the extended warranty. If they are terrible, it is a worthless piece of paper. The one we use is very good. So, we decided to take it. Not at the first price, though. We ended up paying only about 50% of the original price they offered it to us for.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:55 AM   #5

It does cover the coach and powertrain. I am pretty handy with a set of tools and YouTube, but there are a few jobs that I simply don't have the tools for. Such as slide out repairs which comes to mind because on our 5th wheel we had to replace the entire system on a small slide out to the tune of near $3K. Needless to say I despise Schwintek slide out systems.

And yes, it really does equate to a 4 year/50K mile plan since the factory warranty covers the first year.

I don't make a habit of taking out extended warranties. I did however on my 2013 F350 PSD, which has a history of the radiator going out around 40K to 55K miles. The Ford ESP was less than the cost of a radiator replacement.

Also took out the Ford ESP on the wifes Taurus SHO which just expired with no claims against the ESP warranty. So yes that was wasted money with the exception of peace of mind. Maybe not even peace of mind as I never really gave it a thought the whole time.

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
Old 05-10-2019, 08:38 AM   #6

Well it sounds like you made your mind up, so go for it...

Old 05-10-2019, 08:44 AM   #7

I did.. The main reason was I purchased 1000 miles from home and figured I would have issues getting service. I have an "entry level" RV so service requirements will be minimal. So far it was a waste of money(cause I haven't needed it). I have app 5 years to go as the 6 year(I think) warranty begins at the end of the factory warranty...I clarified that.

In the end it's like all other things, you have to feel good about it. Camp on!

One other thing.. If I purchased a complicated RV as your (proposed Berkshire?) I would definitely want one. Way too many things to mess up.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:45 AM   #8

Forest River gives you a one year Coach Net roadside service with your purchase.
CRL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRL1 View Post
Forest River gives you a one year Coach Net roadside service with your purchase.
From what I have read and understand, Forest River and Coach Net Roadside have parted company and no long gifts a free year of roadside.

Before I went and took delivery of the Berkshire I jumped on line and added it to my Good Sam tow and roadside in place of our Wildcat 5th wheel.

I don't plan on renewing my Good Same Roadside in the future. Think that if I don't purchase the extended warranty I will go with Family Motorcoach .

Old 05-10-2019, 09:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Well it sounds like you made your mind up, so go for it...
Still weighing it out in my mind. I have 90 days to decide.

And then there is the tire warranty/road side service available for another $320 if I am interested. In the event of a needed tire repair it will be done at no charge. If the tire cannot be repaired it includes the new tire mounted and balanced.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:07 AM   #11

Here is my experience. I purchased an extended 5 year with mine and the interest rate went down 1%, which made it an easy decision. I didn't buy the motor home at a local dealer in Massachusetts. They have a terrible service department. Even when we are in Florida, it takes forever to get an appointment and then they take forever to figure out the problem, order the parts and finish the work. With my extended warranty, I can bring it to any dealer or better yet, an independent repair shop or mobile guy. This made it well worth the price.
Full Time in the Summer, soon
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:12 AM   #12
Site Team

One thing to consider is that they like to roll the cost of the warranty into the loan. So you'll pay extra interest over those X number of years for however long your loan is for.

Just something to think about.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:05 AM   #13

Quote:
From what I have read and understand, Forest River and Coach Net Roadside have parted company and no long gifts a free year of roadside.

Before I went and took delivery of the Berkshire I jumped on line and added it to my Good Sam tow and roadside in place of our Wildcat 5th wheel.

I don't plan on renewing my Good Same Roadside in the future. Think that if I don't purchase the extended warranty I will go with Family Motorcoach .
Your correct on Coach Net, but FR now has another company that covers towing the first year. For the cost of your tires on there 320.00 for 5 years is good. Now that could be used the first year, FR would not cover a unrepairable flat tire from a road hazard. So there are pluses. Did you call the warranty company and ask the price if you bought when your Coach is a year old? Might help you make the decision. As the ole saying says, "you can't take the money with you" so do what you think is right for you , not anybody on this forum. Good plus and minus as always when this comes up. I made out great with my ESP plan on my old FORD truck, but those are pretty straight forward, not like a RV warranty. Again Congrats on your new Berk, I'm sure it's beautiful.

Old 05-10-2019, 12:55 PM   #14

Quote:

Do you know when that happened?We got it on our 2019 we took delivery of last June.
CRL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 12:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Do you know when that happened?We got it on our 2019 we took delivery of last June.
About 3mos ago

Old 05-10-2019, 06:41 PM   #16

Quote:
I was thinking that is was in either January or February of this year.

When we first drove out to look at the Berkshire that we purchased my lovely wife pointed out the little sticker that mentioned the one year Coach Net roadside service. I told her that I had read where Forest River and Coach Net had a parting of the way and no longer included the policy.

A few days later we went back to look at the coach and purchased it, the little sticker had been removed. I asked the F&I Manager about it and he confirmed that it had been discontinued. And in the same breath added that the extended warranty did include roadside assistance...LOL!!

Old 05-10-2019, 09:52 PM   #17
Dragonship Captain

I didn't get it. So far so good. 2-1/2 years 30K miles. (Knocks on genuine simulated wood).
Old 05-10-2019, 11:20 PM   #18

Forest River Roadside Assistance now through SafeRide Motor Club

Forest River still offers it. As of January this year they moved to SafeRide. Here's the flyer with the numbers:

http://www.forestriverinc.com/downloads/roadside.pdf
TominVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:07 AM   #19

Quote:
I would be interested in it at $2,500 for the 5 year/50,000 mile Diamond level plan. This is on the STAR RV vehicle service contract.

Who underwrites this extended warranty? Is it an exclusionary warranty?
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 07:17 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TominVegas View Post
Forest River still offers it. As of January this year they moved to SafeRide. Here's the flyer with the numbers:

http://www.forestriverinc.com/downloads/roadside.pdf
Great information!!!

Tags
warranty