Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2012, 10:47 PM   #1

EZ-Glide tray doesn't glide

2011 Berkshire 390RB.... Just got it a couple of days ago. It has one tray installed in the basement, but I can't get it to come out.

It has a short black metal rod sticking up out of the side of the tray (one on both ends). This is obviously a release handle, but no matter which way I move it, up, down, left, right, backward, forward, smack-it-with-a-hammer or whatever, I can't get the tray to slide out. In fact, unless I used VERY heavy pressure the little rod(about 3 inches tall) doesn't move at all.

Is there maybe some sort of shipping lock that I've missed or something like that? I've tried for an hour today and NOTHING will break it loose.

If this continues, I'll have to call it a tuff-glide. I may feel stupid, but am I missing something??

Anyone??

boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:45 PM   #2

I had the same problem with mine. I managed to fix it but in my opinion, the design still sucks.

It has been a while but if I recall correctly, those two levers with black knobs on the end control a swing arm with two one inch tabs. If everything is working correctly, when you move the lever to the side the tab should lift out of the locking notch and allow the tray to slide from end to end.

This is the point where I can not recall the exact detail. It seems to me that when everything is working the way it should, the tab rides on top of the rail ... once it moves over the locking notch ... the tab drops down into the notch and the tray is locked into position.

In my case I think the tab was riding on the inside of the rail and producing a great deal of friction. I needed to take the tray completely out and reinstall it with both tabs in the correct position. Once the tray is out, that correct position will become obvious.

Although the tray is designed for a high weight capacity, I find that its ability to slide with ease is greatly reduced with even the smallest of weights.
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:02 AM   #3

Thanks... I will take the tray out of the bay and see if I can fix it too.

Too bad FR couldn't have picked a better vendor for the slide out though.... I'm going to add two more...... They definitely won't be EZ-Glides however.

On another subject..... FR didn't bother to put a diagram of the coach co-axial wiring in the compartment under the television. Took me an entire day to hook up my DishNet receiver by connecting thru the cable connector in the outside electrical bay. (I use a CarryOut on the ground tripod).

I really like the coach...... Just a few things the FR could have done better, however. I'm sure I'll find more.

Boowho??

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefaivre View Post
I had the same problem with mine. I managed to fix it but in my opinion, the design still sucks.

It has been a while but if I recall correctly, those two levers with black knobs on the end control a swing arm with two one inch tabs. If everything is working correctly, when you move the lever to the side the tab should lift out of the locking notch and allow the tray to slide from end to end.

This is the point where I can not recall the exact detail. It seems to me that when everything is working the way it should, the tab rides on top of the rail ... once it moves over the locking notch ... the tab drops down into the notch and the tray is locked into position.

In my case I think the tab was riding on the inside of the rail and producing a great deal of friction. I needed to take the tray completely out and reinstall it with both tabs in the correct position. Once the tray is out, that correct position will become obvious.

Although the tray is designed for a high weight capacity, I find that its ability to slide with ease is greatly reduced with even the smallest of weights.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:17 AM   #4

My tray on my 2011 RB works ok after I spent some time fiddling with the levers but I rarely need to slide it out much anyway. Before you jump into adding a few more you might want to check how much they weigh -- with the somewhat limited posted cargo carrying weight capability of the coach you might not be able to carry much gear (if you worry much about such things) besides the empty trays. You will be surprised what your gvw is at a scale when fully loaded with everything you want before adding more slide out cargo trays. I almost considered removing the one that came with mine for this reason.
I agree with your finding that there are some really sad features such as the tv wiring for a "satellite ready" coach and some substandard fit n finish details but overall it is a very good coach for the money and you should be happy with it as we are with ours once we got over the annoying little details.
mjracsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjracsj View Post
My tray on my 2011 RB works ok after I spent some time fiddling with the levers but I rarely need to slide it out much anyway. Before you jump into adding a few more you might want to check how much they weigh -- with the somewhat limited posted cargo carrying weight capability of the coach you might not be able to carry much gear (if you worry much about such things) besides the empty trays. You will be surprised what your gvw is at a scale when fully loaded with everything you want before adding more slide out cargo trays. I almost considered removing the one that came with mine for this reason.
I agree with your finding that there are some really sad features such as the tv wiring for a "satellite ready" coach and some substandard fit n finish details but overall it is a very good coach for the money and you should be happy with it as we are with ours once we got over the annoying little details.

Thanks for your input...... I really do like the coach... I bought it used, but it had never even been thru a "shake down" period by the original owner. So, we're finding all the things that are wrong, but are usually covered by the factory warranty.

So far besides the tray, the refrigerator is acting weird too; at first it was way too cold.... now I can't get it below 47 degrees (with it set to 5).

Black water tank indicators jump from 1 to 3 with just a few flushes of the electric toilet. I'm thinking the tank is really NOT that full, but the gauge is mal-adjusted.

I will of course have to pay for all these things..... But I bought it for wholesale and with only 3000 miles so can well afford to do so. I'm in Mesa AZ for the winter, so there is a plethora of RV techs available.

Boowoh??
Old 11-15-2012, 09:20 PM   #6
marialee-Berkshire410qs

I have found with the slide out tray that you may have to push or pull the tray a little to release the levers...
marialee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:50 AM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
Black water tank indicators jump from 1 to 3 with just a few flushes of the electric toilet. I'm thinking the tank is really NOT that full, but the gauge is mal-adjusted.
Just FYI - this is sadly standard behavior with the gauges in the black tanks unless you upgrade them.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Just FYI - this is sadly standard behavior with the gauges in the black tanks unless you upgrade them.
Thanks.... I figured as much.......

Boowho?
Old 11-29-2012, 10:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by marialee View Post
I have found with the slide out tray that you may have to push or pull the tray a little to release the levers...
Actually, it turned out to be manufactured incorrectly. The tech had to enlarge the slot that the tab on the release handle drops into when it locks. I works sorta OK now, but in general it's a poorly designed unit and it DOES take a lot of effort to move it in and out.

I'm going to swap it out for another brand; maybe a Kwikee??

Boowho?