Old 01-14-2015, 10:07 AM   #1

Fan for dash air quit

While heading south to the Tampa RV show and FROG rally, I had been using my dash heater (6 degrees when I left NY for FLA). When I stopped the first night, as I pulled into the campground, the fan stopped working. I shut the fan off and it came back on a short time later. Yesterday, when I wanted to use the fan for cooling, (now in FLA) it would not come on at all. Checked for fuses but didn't see one for the blower. Called the Freightliner help line and they said that unit was installed by the FR so it is the coach manufacturers issue. I can hear the doors on the unit moving when I change from heat to AC to defrost but the fan does not work at all. Has anyone had this problem and if so, how was it resolved?
Thanks
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:25 PM   #2

Tom, your description is consistent with a loose ground. Welcome to Fl. We should arrive at Tampa East Thursday afternoon.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:09 PM   #3
Berkshire 390QS

Tom, with the many Berkshire owners down in Tampa this week, you all can get together and it's a 30 minute fix. Our fan came apart and FR had to replace it, your's sounds like a different problem.

Skip
Skip
NO3putt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:23 PM   #4

I had intermittent operation of the fan. Could be going down the road with the fan operating and hit a harsh bump and it would quit. It was frustrating and difficult to chase down but it turned out to be a bad splice in the wire harness. I pulled that lid off the dash and followed the fan control wires back into the wire bundle. Had to remove several inches of electrical tape but when I got to the splice the power wire fell out of the crimped butt connector. Installed a new butt connector and crimped it really good....problem solved.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:51 AM   #5

Edgewant,
Was the splice you are speaking about on the inside in the dash area or outside in the generator compartment?
Thanks,
Tom

Old 01-15-2015, 09:21 AM   #6

Inside the dash. Pull the cover off and follow the wire bundle from the dash fan/heater control back into the bigger wire bundle that has a large amount of electrical tape. It is necessary to remove the tape from about 6 in of the bundle. If memory serves me right the power lead wiire color changes at the splice.

There is also the possibility it is the resistor pack on the blower. Have you checked for power passing from the blower switch toward the blower motor?

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:01 AM   #7

No- I haven't checked for power to the blower motor. I will do that as well.
Thanks.

Old 01-15-2015, 12:43 PM   #8
nosaint3

On my bounder I used to have, I crawled underneath with fan and power on. I wiggled the wire bundle and when the sparks started to fly I found the problem. A very loose wire.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:04 PM   #9

tmmar, just adding to the loose ground probability. We lost our blower last winter while returning home. It fluctuated a few minutes, on then off then on then nothing. Our ground actually came loose at the blower motor itself. I borrowed on of those snake light camera deals and stuck it inside the dash and finally found the wire just hanging there - screw on the floor. Not simple to get to, but fixed once there. Good luck to you - hope it's that simple!
2015 Nissan Frontier 4x4 pickup toad
JBoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 02:50 PM   #10

Thanks to all who responded. Edgewant is the winner. It was a bad contact in a butt connector. Cut out the old and redid the connector. So far so good. Hopefully it won't happen again.
Tom

Tags
fan