Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2017, 07:27 AM   #21

I have read about someone called Randy at FR as a person who is knowledgeable and helpful. Does anyone have his email address?

2014 Berkshire 390RB
Towing 17 Cadillac XT5 on a flatbed trailer
BuckW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:21 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckW View Post
I have read about someone called Randy at FR as a person who is knowledgeable and helpful. Does anyone have his email address?

Buck almost all employees email is first initial last name and ForestRiverinc.
So Randy Houser is
Rhouser@forestriverinc.com.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0115.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	154951
zuckerburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:22 AM   #23

Andy is the parts manager and both him and Randy are some of the nicest people you will meet.
zuckerburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 12:24 PM   #24

Went out to the coach today to turn on furnace to start packing to leave on Sunday. No power at the heater/a/c control. No display whatever. To make things worse. Tried fireplace. No power.
Things I have done: Disconnected from shore power. Turned on and off disconnect switch. Checked fuses in front compartment and breakers under the bed.
So far no power to vent fans, furnace/a/c control, fireplace.
Any thoughts??

2014 Berkshire 390RB
Old 10-31-2017, 09:11 PM   #25
Dragonship Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckW View Post
Went out to the coach today to turn on furnace to start packing to leave on Sunday. No power at the heater/a/c control. No display whatever. To make things worse. Tried fireplace. No power.
Things I have done: Disconnected from shore power. Turned on and off disconnect switch. Checked fuses in front compartment and breakers under the bed.
So far no power to vent fans, furnace/a/c control, fireplace.
Any thoughts??
OK, even though the thermostat is low voltage, and even though the furnace is 12V, I THINK the thermostat get's it's power from the AC/Heatpump unit(s) so yours is IMHO purely an AC issue. (As in..... fuses/battery and related circuitry is not in play)

The first place to look, again, is the 120V breaker panel. Don't just look at the breakers, cycle them. Specifically the two supply breakers (50A) on the far left. In my coach the fire place and the front AC (most likely source for thermostat power) are on the same leg of the 120V system.

After that..... start at the pedestal and verify there's 120V on both legs. Then you need to verify, with a multimeter, that the distribution/breaker panel is getting juice to the leg that the AC/Fireplace are on.

If you are not comfortable taking the cover off the breaker panel and poking a multi meter into "hot" locations......Get someone who can.

Don't know you model by heart, but there are most likely other users on that leg. In my case the washer/dryer. Is anything else not working?
Old 11-01-2017, 12:42 PM   #26

Oscarvan: The coach is 2014 390RB.
With a multi-meter I checked: Every post has 120v going into it. I started at the left and worked to the right. Soooo. It has to be a 12v. problem. I went into the front compartment and changed ALL 15v. fuses in the right hand fuse box. Don't know which one was the culprit but everything works....Furnace and vent fans.
Fireplace...Well that was dumb me. There are 2 switches on the fireplace and I only pressed the one on the right side. The left switch turns the fireplace on and off. Duhhhh.

Thanks everyone for your input. It kept me working on it until I got it working.

2014 Berkshire 390RB
Old 11-01-2017, 03:12 PM   #27
Just as confused as you

Since you have a multimeter, an easy way to check for blown fuses is to connect one lead to ground, then touch the fuse at the one terminal then touch the other terminal. If the fuse is bad you will have 12 volt on one terminal but not the other. Some fuses have 2 small spots (1 spot for each terminal) on the top that you can put the probe to check them. The amp rating will be marked between the spots.

That way you don't have to change them all.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:06 PM   #28
Dragonship Captain

What Scrapper said.

And, the fireplace appearing to be part of the issue sent me down that path.....

Glad you got it fixed.

So what I did learn is that the low voltage supply to eh HVAC control head is coach supplied and not AC supplied?

Hmmmm...... I could have sworn that when I installed one (a long time ago) all I ran was 120V to the unit, and an RJ11 cable from the unit to the thermostat. Oh well, guess there's different versions of this. Probably when it's a "smart" one and controls the furnace too.....(As in your case)

Thanks.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:00 PM   #29

Tks. Scrapper. Good to know.
Glad to get it fixed. Co-pilot was getting a bit humm. how do I put it. lol.
We will be leaving the cold country on Saturday. Hopefully there won't be any "lake effect" around Michigan and Indiana. This is about the latest we have left for Tx. in the past 13 yrs.

tT

2014 Berkshire 390RB

Tags
fan, power