Old 05-12-2016, 10:53 AM   #41
7 Year Class A RV'er

The Blue Ox tow system is working great for us with almost 10,000 miles of towing over the last year. I've finally gotten to where I can hook/unhook in less than 5 minutes total. Love it!

On the sound system issues, the in-dash unit in our Legacy is probably the same as yours (not sure), with the GPS, cameras, radio, XM, etc. If you're interested, I purchased the iPod cable to connect to the unit and would gladly sell it for $20 (about half price as I recall) since I no longer use it. The interface is not great by any means and our factory speakers are garbage. We purchased one of the small Bose bluetooth speakers for just under $200 and hook our iPod to it. Had it sitting on the dash for a while and got fantastic sound quality but the battery would run down after about six hours of driving. My wife got the idea to just leave it in the charging cradle sitting on the kitchen counter (it doesn't slide around) and plugged in to the 110v running on the inverter. That little Bose unit puts out sound well enough that it fills the entire RV, so that solution works great. Highly recommend that solution! Only thing we use the dash unit for is the cameras. Got a Garmin RV760 to replace the GPS and it works great, too. Good luck!

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:43 AM   #42

Roadmaster does also....

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 05-12-2016, 01:41 PM   #43

Bob, the factory Apple carplay radios are so integrated with the vehicle I believe an after-market unit would leave much to be desired. The microphone is located just above the driver's head so it understands you very clearly. And just to get you riled up again all of the controls are located on the Smart Wheel.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:33 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
Bob, the factory Apple carplay radios are so integrated with the vehicle I believe an after-market unit would leave much to be desired. The microphone is located just above the driver's head so it understands you very clearly. And just to get you riled up again all of the controls are located on the Smart Wheel.
I'm used to it by now

OK here's a question: Our Berk will be "Sirius Ready" what will we have to do to make it Sirius Functional
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:40 PM   #45

The believe that is covered under another thread somewhere.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:59 PM   #46

You will need a Sirius receiver and subscription. You will plug the out put of that receiver into the aux jacks of the radio. They are under the removable center panel on the dash and hanging off the back of the radio. Unless they changed things, which is entirely possible, that is how I did it on my '08 and my '14. I am now using my Ipod because we only used the Sirius xm for a few weeks a year and it didn't pay to have the subscription for the entire year.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 02:05 PM   #47
7 Year Class A RV'er

You'll also gave to find a place to install the Sirius antenna.

Old 05-13-2016, 02:12 PM   #48

When I used Sirius on mine I just laid the antenna on the dash near the base of the windshield. Worked pretty well that way.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 02:36 PM   #49
7 Year Class A RV'er

Yep. Put mine on the dash, too. Works great when you're driving south, pretty good headed east or west and virtually not at all when headed north.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:48 PM   #50

Finally installed my Blue Ox stuff

Just purchased a 2016 Colorado crew cab long box 4WD Z71 Trail Boss edition last night. Traded in the Cadillac SRX for it so I can get a golf cart and put it in the bed of the truck when towing behind the motorhome. Base plates and wiring for lights get installed next week. My question is about the negative cable battery disconnect that is mentioned in the manual. I'm assuming this is to keep the steering wheel unlocked once you pull the key out. I read on a different forum that a gentlemen discovered that if he just leaves the key in the ignition after shutting the truck off it won't lock the steering wheel. I went through the procedures today to set up for towing but turned the truck off and left the key in the ignition and and steering wheel did not lock. Once I pulled the key out it then locked. So I'm thinking if I leave the key in, then there's no reason to disconnect the negative cable correct? Or is there another reason for disconnecting the battery??? I never disconnected it in any other toad. Thanks for any info!

Jason

2014 Berkshire 390BH
2011 Cadillac SRX (toad)
FB

Tags
blue ox, led