Old 06-15-2016, 01:23 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTN8 View Post
Just purchased a 2016 Colorado crew cab long box 4WD Z71 Trail Boss edition last night. Traded in the Cadillac SRX for it so I can get a golf cart and put it in the bed of the truck when towing behind the motorhome. Base plates and wiring for lights get installed next week. My question is about the negative cable battery disconnect that is mentioned in the manual. I'm assuming this is to keep the steering wheel unlocked once you pull the key out. I read on a different forum that a gentlemen discovered that if he just leaves the key in the ignition after shutting the truck off it won't lock the steering wheel. I went through the procedures today to set up for towing but turned the truck off and left the key in the ignition and and steering wheel did not lock. Once I pulled the key out it then locked. So I'm thinking if I leave the key in, then there's no reason to disconnect the negative cable correct? Or is there another reason for disconnecting the battery??? I never disconnected it in any other toad. Thanks for any info!

2014 Berkshire 390BH
2011 Cadillac SRX (toad)
FB
Jason,

First off, change your sig

Second, you have a 2016 that has a KEY? (our 2016 Jeep has a wireless fob)

Third, What do you estimate the total weight to be with the Golf Cart & truck (off-topic weight police question)

Forth, to answer your question (as it applies to our Jeep at least)

We got our Jeep back from the RV dealer last night (WOW what a nice install job - really do not notice it is there!) When we got our tutorial, they told us that when we hooked up the electrical umbilical, there is a cutout circuit that works in concert with the transfer case neutral that unlocks the steering column. Since you have a 4x4 as well, this may apply to you.

Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 01:53 PM   #52
Fulltime in our Berkshire

Watching this for answers.

I thought it had to be disconnected because it would do damage to the electric power steering. But that was cross-talk. Never confirmed it.

Quote:
Just purchased a 2016 Colorado crew cab long box 4WD Z71 Trail Boss edition last night. Traded in the Cadillac SRX for it so I can get a golf cart and put it in the bed of the truck when towing behind the motorhome. Base plates and wiring for lights get installed next week. My question is about the negative cable battery disconnect that is mentioned in the manual. I'm assuming this is to keep the steering wheel unlocked once you pull the key out. I read on a different forum that a gentlemen discovered that if he just leaves the key in the ignition after shutting the truck off it won't lock the steering wheel. I went through the procedures today to set up for towing but turned the truck off and left the key in the ignition and and steering wheel did not lock. Once I pulled the key out it then locked. So I'm thinking if I leave the key in, then there's no reason to disconnect the negative cable correct? Or is there another reason for disconnecting the battery??? I never disconnected it in any other toad. Thanks for any info!

Jason

2014 Berkshire 390BH
2011 Cadillac SRX (toad)
FB

Home is Where we park it
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 03:13 PM   #53

Finally installed my Blue Ox stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Jason,

First off, change your sig

Second, you have a 2016 that has a KEY? (our 2016 Jeep has a wireless fob)

Third, What do you estimate the total weight to be with the Golf Cart & truck (off-topic weight police question)

Forth, to answer your question (as it applies to our Jeep at least)

We got our Jeep back from the RV dealer last night (WOW what a nice install job - really do not notice it is there!) When we got our tutorial, they told us that when we hooked up the electrical umbilical, there is a cutout circuit that works in concert with the transfer case neutral that unlocks the steering column. Since you have a 4x4 as well, this may apply to you.

Yes haven't gotten around to change it yet... LOL

Yup has a key! Caddy we traded in had the FOB but unfortunately this doesn't.

The truck weighs in at just under 4500, golf cart is about 900 so I'll be at about 5,400 pounds.

I've weighed my coach several times and know my weights pretty well and with the truck and cart, I'm still about 500 to 1,000 pounds under my gross combined weight.

Transfer case is electrically unlocked with the knob inside the truck. Not sure yet if this applies to the Colorado or not. Base plates and lighting will be installed next week so I'll be testing it then.

Jason

2014 Berkshire 390BH
2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Boss (toad)
Old 06-15-2016, 03:16 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post

I thought it had to be disconnected because it would do damage to the electric power steering. But that was cross-talk. Never confirmed it.

With no power to the truck (key in the off position) and the steering wheel unlocked not sure how it would mess up the power steering. I read in another forum where the gentlemen has towed it for 1200 miles like this with no issues. I'm sure I'm going to test it and if it works I'll be using this method instead of disconnecting the battery.

Jason

2014 Berkshire 390BH
Old 06-15-2016, 03:42 PM   #55
I Break Everything

Quote:
Hi Dan:

I am very happy I did it here at home instead of paying someone to do it. I had price quotes anywhere from $4200 to $6000 for a complete install along with the Patriot brake system and wiring the tail lights. It ended up costing me close to $3000 for all the parts (I purchased the top of the line tow bar).Ken
Good Lort!!! $6000.00. I'd quit my job and do that all day long. I've had two blue ox base plates, one on a CVR the other on a Jeep. Base plates installed for both were around $300.00, together. I used those magnet lights on the CRV, but got the wiring kit for a Jeep, same guy did it for free since he did the plate as well. I purchased all the parts. But at those prices, I couldn't pass it up. Braking system is Blue Ox Patriot, I installed that...Yeah I did something, I set it on the floorboard and turn it on!

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS MH
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 04:26 PM   #56

Quote:

Yeah I read it had 'something' to do with the electric power steering also.

And with the key in,even in the off position it keeps something energized so the steering wheel won't lock thus putting a draw on the battery.

Will be nice if we don't have to remove the key. Stay after it Jason.
Old 06-15-2016, 04:39 PM   #57

Quote:
Yes haven't gotten around to change it yet... LOL

Yup has a key! Caddy we traded in had the FOB but unfortunately this doesn't.

The truck weighs in at just under 4500, golf cart is about 900 so I'll be at about 5,400 pounds.

I've weighed my coach several times and know my weights pretty well and with the truck and cart, I'm still about 500 to 1,000 pounds under my gross combined weight.

Transfer case is electrically unlocked with the knob inside the truck. Not sure yet if this applies to the Colorado or not. Base plates and lighting will be installed next week so I'll be testing it then.

Jason

2014 Berkshire 390BH
Jason,

Keep us posted - FYI in order to "do it right" the RV dealership tech took @ 10 hours (and they do 2-3 a week). After seeing what is/was involved, I bow down to the folks who have DIY!
Old 06-15-2016, 07:18 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Jason,

Keep us posted - FYI in order to "do it right" the RV dealership tech took @ 10 hours (and they do 2-3 a week). After seeing what is/was involved, I bow down to the folks who have DIY!

I did our first toad (CRV) with the help of a friend, and then while I was deployed to Bahrain he did my Cadillac. Both came out amazing and pretty easy. I am though paying to get the Colorado done. Local place here in VA quoted me $570 for the install. They do them all the time. I bought the base plates and light wiring kit on EBay and save a lot of $! Using my original tow bar still

Jason

2014 Berkshire 390BH
Old 06-16-2016, 11:28 AM   #59

So now that I bought the Colorado as a toad, I was able to treat myself to a Fathers Day gift that will be accompanying us on our camping trips!! Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1466090901.410938.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	111280Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1466090924.408206.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	111281

Jason

2014 Berkshire 390BH
Old 06-16-2016, 11:37 AM   #60

Quote:
So now that I bought the Colorado as a toad, I was able to treat myself to a Fathers Day gift that will be accompanying us on our camping trips!! Attachment 111280Attachment 111281

2014 Berkshire 390BH
That's a sweeeeet setup Jason!!

Tags
blue ox, led