Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2016, 04:11 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
Yeah, probably the same just looked different on my little phone.
You almost had me running to the phone to make an appointment with my eye doctor
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:46 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
You almost had me running to the phone to make an appointment with my eye doctor
No, I'm afraid I'm the one that needs the eye doctor. LOL

Love this truck. Hope to get it setup for towing before too long. Of course I have a growing list of other add-ons also. Step rails bed liners bed cover and on and on.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:16 PM   #23

Quote:
No, I'm afraid I'm the one that needs the eye doctor. LOL

Love this truck. Hope to get it setup for towing before too long. Of course I have a growing list of other add-ons also. Step rails bed liners bed cover and on and on.
Me too. I already got the rhino liner for the bed and of course the base plate and wiring. Next is the Bak Flip bed cover....but out of money for now.....

BTW: Don't know if you're concerned with fuel, but the Colorado isn't too shabby in that department either.

Ken
Old 04-04-2016, 03:51 PM   #24

It almost matched the motorhome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1459803102280.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	103911  
Old 04-04-2016, 04:35 PM   #25

Looking good Dan, nice match.

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:20 PM   #26

They are going to look great going down the road or sitting at a site.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:36 PM   #27

Quote:
It almost matched the motorhome.

Wow they look great together. Man that's a nice truck.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:53 PM   #28

Thanks guys. It's a lot better than that POS I was dragging around.

And it was about time for me to get a new vehicle since I hadn't had one in 20 years. And Nikki already has a new vehicle... That we bought in 2003. LOL
Old 04-05-2016, 06:23 AM   #29

Kenny, what kind of phone do you have.
Have you been using the Apple Carplay or Android Auto?
Old 04-05-2016, 06:44 AM   #30

Quote:
Kenny, what kind of phone do you have.
Have you been using the Apple Carplay or Android Auto?
When I first got the Colorado, I had android, but since, I have upgraded to an iPhone 6+. The apple play on it is fantastic. Other than a simple blue tooth connection at that time (early January), they did not have the android play (or whatever they call it). I did get a notification that I can take the truck into Chevy for an update for it. Not sure if I can have both at the same time.

I'm not a fan of OnStar, and what makes the Apple CarPlay nice, is if you call out to Siri to take you to an address/location, it puts google maps right on the screen like it was a GPS.

I did find I do like the IOS on Apple much better than android, but that's just my Preference.

I did not take the truck back to chevy for the android update so I cannot compare the two. When I had it, it simply used the blue tooth and worked very well, but you couldn't use it for navigation.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:53 AM   #31

Quote:
When I first got the Colorado, I had android, but since, I have upgraded to an iPhone 6+. The apple play on it is fantastic. Other than a simple blue tooth connection at that time (early January), they did not have the android play (or whatever they call it). I did get a notification that I can take the truck into Chevy for an update for it. Not sure if I can have both at the same time.

I'm not a fan of OnStar, and what makes the Apple CarPlay nice, is if you call out to Siri to take you to an address/location, it puts google maps right on the screen like it was a GPS.

I did find I do like the IOS on Apple much better than android, but that's just my Preference.

I did not take the truck back to chevy for the android update so I cannot compare the two. When I had it, it simply used the blue tooth and worked very well, but you couldn't use it for navigation.
Apple Carplay will put the 'Google Maps' on the screen? I had read it would only do 'Apple Maps'.

I do have Android and just read that GM will do the update. I'll be getting that ASAP. I need the navigation on the 8 inch screen.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:06 AM   #32

Quote:
Apple Carplay will put the 'Google Maps' on the screen? I had read it would only do 'Apple Maps'.

I do have Android and just read that GM will do the update. I'll be getting that ASAP. I need the navigation on the 8 inch screen.
I hope they have the same thing for android as Apple. The texting works fantastic. You can carry on a very nice texting session without your hands leaving the wheel or eyes the road.

While placing the map on the screen is very nice, I found I prefer the Garmin I bought because I am always changing radio stations or looking on the screen for the artist of a song. But if I had only one station that I liked, an on screen map is the way to go and the car play does that. I'm betting the android play will too.

When I take it in for the first service, I'm going to ask them to install it (only if I can have both).

It makes the blue tooth/radio in the Berk seem like an old 6 transistor radio from back in the early sixties
Old 04-05-2016, 09:12 AM   #33

Quote:
I hope they have the same thing for android as Apple. The texting works fantastic. You can carry on a very nice texting session without your hands leaving the wheel or eyes the road.

While placing the map on the screen is very nice, I found I prefer the Garmin I bought because I am always changing radio stations or looking on the screen for the artist of a song. But if I had only one station that I liked, an on screen map is the way to go and the car play does that. I'm betting the android play will too.

When I take it in for the first service, I'm going to ask them to install it (only if I can have both).

It makes the blue tooth/radio in the Berk seem like an old 6 transistor radio from back in the early sixties
As I understand it, the update adds android and does not delete the apple so you have capability for both.

And yes, the android will have the same type of functions. Probably more since android does not keep such tight control over third party apps.

I also moved the Garmin from the MH to truck but don't like using it in the truck for a couple reasons. It gets hot from the sun coming through the windshield. It's a hassle to remove and put it back every day.

Anyway the update is free so I can't wait to try it. I'll have to get the update and a newer phone for it to work also.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:39 AM   #34

Quote:
As I understand it, the update adds android and does not delete the apple so you have capability for both.

And yes, the android will have the same type of functions. Probably more since android does not keep such tight control over third party apps.

I also moved the Garmin from the MH to truck but don't like using it in the truck for a couple reasons. It gets hot from the sun coming through the windshield. It's a hassle to remove and put it back every day.

Anyway the update is free so I can't wait to try it. I'll have to get the update and a newer phone for it to work also.
In the Berk, I have that 7 inch screen from Rand-McNally, so I bought the smaller (not much though) Garmin. I normally don't ever take it out, since I am always parked in my garage. I suppose if I had to park it in certain locations in Cleveland, I might take it down

If you're going to Goshen, I'll be on the lookout for your rig....it looks good in the picture.

Ken
Old 05-11-2016, 11:33 AM   #35

Ken, I'm just now getting ready to put a baseplate on the Colorado.
After looking at everything, I think it's best for me to go with the Roadmaster.
I do already have a Roadmaster tow bar.

Also the Roadmaster quick connect bars are located down where the tow hooks are now. Seems to be about 6 inches lower than the Blue Ox and should line up better with the Berkshire receiver.

I read the thread about needing to get an adapter/riser with the Blue Ox.

I normally am a do-it-yourself type. I'm thinking about having it done. Maybe I'm getting lazy.

Looking back, would you have paid someone to do it?
Old 05-11-2016, 01:11 PM   #36

Quote:
Ken, I'm just now getting ready to put a baseplate on the Colorado.
After looking at everything, I think it's best for me to go with the Roadmaster.
I do already have a Roadmaster tow bar.

Also the Roadmaster quick connect bars are located down where the tow hooks are now. Seems to be about 6 inches lower than the Blue Ox and should line up better with the Berkshire receiver.

I read the thread about needing to get an adapter/riser with the Blue Ox.

I normally am a do-it-yourself type. I'm thinking about having it done. Maybe I'm getting lazy.

Looking back, would you have paid someone to do it?
No, I don't think so. And I am LAZY

I did have a friend over to help, so that made time go faster. I figure about 5 to 6 hours. It surely wasn't difficult. Just time consuming. The quotes I got for labor on an install was between 800 to 1000 dollars. I figure I paid myself over $100hr to do it.
Besides, I generally do not like leaving anything I own in the care of someone who doesn't own it. They all wanted it at least two days.

But being that I am lazy, and if I did have the extra cash in my "repair/maintenance" savings account, I might consider it.
It's always better to sip the beer and watch than to watch you don't have too much beer while you do it
Old 05-11-2016, 02:55 PM   #37

Yes I'm about talked myself into doing it. Trying to get all the parts in my shopping cart to order from etrailer.

The battery disconnect has me a little puzzled. There are several cables connected to that positive. But I have to run a positive to my braking system. The owner's manual says to disconnect the negative cable when towing.

Did you run a charge line from your motorhome to the toe vehicle battery?
Old 05-11-2016, 04:13 PM   #38

Yes I ran a charge line and I used the battery brain for disconnecting the battery with the remote switch.
search for battery brain on Amazon they're about 79 bucks right now
Old 05-11-2016, 04:14 PM   #39

I think I misspoke. I didn't want to charge mine, I just ran a hotline from the battery for the remote break system and 500 miles of driving it didn't bother the battery at all
Old 05-12-2016, 07:59 AM   #40

We are lucky - our new Jeep Cherokee will have Apple Carplay from the factory--which makes me wonder what I can do for the Berk? (I am such a Apple Fanboy )

The display in the dash (as I understand it) is a radio AND manages all the cameras so a simple swap-out with the Pioneer Carplay radio head would not work. Does anyone know what my options will be?

TOAD system. We wound up going completely Blue OX. Why? I called both Roadmaster and Blue Ox about the baseplate for our new Jeep - you can now get a Overland build in a Cherokee without having to get the (too-big-for-us) Grand Cherokee.

Well Roadmaster hemmed-and-hawed over 3-4 days about this baseplate or that and if we bought direct from them we could return a baseplate if it didn't fit.

Blue Ox? First Call Baseplate 14-0887 fits, we know because we just installed one.

We then took a look at the difference between Blue Ox tow bars and Roadmaster. Did you know Blue Ox offers a "tow bar refurbishment" service at the factory? They will replace all the gaskets, rubber covers, lube the bar and touchup paint it for $30! And the factory has a RV park with full hookups for $11/night or free if you are getting service!

Sold.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue ox, led