Old 06-07-2014, 08:41 PM   #21

What is fee/tax they charge for this special endorsement? I sure hope this doesn't spread to MI.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:41 PM   #22

Is it just a written test? Or driving as well?

Old 06-07-2014, 09:20 PM   #23

Living in South Carolina they also require a special endorsement to drive a MH over 26000 lbs. In addition to the endorsement if you tow a trailer or toad you need an additional endorsement. You needed to get a permit (written test) and the a road test. If towing something it had to be with you for the road test, show your ability to hitch and unhitch the tow and then take the road test. My road test lasted about 15 mikes including driving on the Interstate and simulating a breakdown on the side of the Interstate.
I am glad I got the endorsements because if something ever happens I don't want to give the insurance companies any excuse not to pay. It was a pain in the neck but very worthwhile. I think it makes for better more competent drivers knowing all the rules and requirements. Much to my amazement the dealers and other local RV owners are not aware of SC's requirements.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:01 PM   #24
2011 Berkshire 390BH

Scott - For New York State it is just a road driving test.
Phil - Permit is $10 and if you pass, the license is I believe $30.

Finally completed all State visits in August 2011 with a trip to North Dakota.
Superchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:10 PM   #25
2011 Berkshire 390BH

The over 26,000 lbs requirement is the gross vehicle weight rating. Take a look at the charts I posted earlier. It specifically says 26,000 lbs GVWR. The gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR), or gross vehicle mass (GVM) is the maximum operating weight/mass of a vehicle as specified by the manufacturer including the vehicle's chassis, body, engine, engine fluids, fuel, accessories, driver, passengers and cargo but excluding that of any trailers. In my book, that puts all 390 Berkshires in New York State requiring "R" endorsements. Craig

Old 06-07-2014, 10:12 PM   #26
2011 Berkshire 390BH

Oh yea, Tom... Fire trucks are specifically exempt from the "R" endorsement requirement. (I think you brought this up in a prior post somewhere). Craig

Old 06-08-2014, 04:58 AM   #27
Retired Trucker/43 years

Quote:
I am glad I got the endorsements because if something ever happens I don't want to give the insurance companies any excuse not to pay. It was a pain in the neck but very worthwhile. I think it makes for better more competent drivers knowing all the rules and requirements. Much to my amazement the dealers and other local RV owners are not aware of SC's requirements.
I agree with this .... while it is a pain in the butt, it does assure at least some basic knowledge of the machine.

I was surprised while at Tres Rios, (Glen Rose, Tx), this past February when a MH owner there stated he also had to have the "B" endorsement and the air brake test. Being a CDL holder for so many years I was always puzzled how such heavy vehicles could be on the road with no test to assure competency.
HD 7700# tow package

Noneyerbusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:05 AM   #28
2011 Berkshire 390bh

You raise a very valid point that just priming for the test or taking the test you will learn something about your motorhome. That's not a bad thing that makes all of us safer out there on the highways. I learned something by taking the static an active air brake test. If we are heading into the mountains it is good to know more about our braking systems.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:21 AM   #29

Does anyone have any information concerning these regulation and the state of Pennsylvania?
Old 06-08-2014, 11:45 AM   #30

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/driverLic..._classes.shtml

It looks like you need a special endorsement. I didn't read the whole thing.