Old 06-08-2014, 12:04 PM   #31

WE dont have such requirements in KY.

Heck our personal use trailers (my 20ft enclosed car hauler) dont require plates. Ive driven all over with it been questioned about it....but KY law is personal use trailers are not plated

Im sure the fees are being put to good use in those other states

Old 06-08-2014, 01:06 PM   #32

SC has the same rule of no plates required for personal trailers however if you take it out of state like we do going.to FL we had to get plates for our boat and utility trailers

Old 06-09-2014, 08:45 AM   #33
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Ever consider moving to a more "user friendly" state?

OldCoot, I hate to break the news to you, but NC requires a special license also. Here's the website breaking down the requirements by state.

RV Driver's License Requirements

As you can see, NC also requires a special license.

Ed
Old 06-09-2014, 09:01 AM   #34
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
OldCoot, I hate to break the news to you, but NC requires a special license also. Here's the website breaking down the requirements by state.

Ed
Looks like oc would be fine in Iowa!

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"
Old 06-09-2014, 09:06 AM   #35

Quote:
From the time Craig took the road test until I took mine they have changed it some. They now require you to be able to do a static and an active air brake test. I had no idea what the examiner was talking about and thought I was about to experience the shortest road test in history by never leaving the curb. She was very understanding and explained what I needed to do so all went well.

I would expect that at some time in the future it will be mandatory in all states that you have some sort of "endorsement" on your license to be legal in an RV. I would also expect the tests to get harder and closer to what a CDL test is. I see a lot of folks driving some big rigs that I question their abiltiy to drive those. Of course I see a lot of four wheelers that don't seem like they should be on the road.
Interesting. My wife and I took (and passed) the road test last August in the Albany, NY area and were not required to do any brake testing. We did our tests the same day and we each had a different tester. They were pretty easy on us, but we did indeed have to parallel park. I believe that will be a first and last for that exercise!
Old 06-09-2014, 10:57 AM   #36
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Daniel, when I mentioned to Craig (Superchief) about what was requested he was also surprised. I did not have to do a parallel park maneuver but I did have to do a straight back run. I don't know if the air brake test and no parallel parking was unique to this tester or if that is part of the "new" method of testing. I would expect the testing to become more stringent in the future so I wanted to get it now before it became more of a challenge.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:01 PM   #37
Mod free 5er

Quote:

Ed
Not a problem for me, I still have 125# to reach the limit.

"Above 26,000 lb GVWR or GCWR requires non-commercial Class A or B"
Old 06-09-2014, 04:06 PM   #38
2011 Berkshire 390BH

Tom, That weight on your registration is dry weight. If you look on the yellow sticker, it will give you the dry weight and how much carrying capacity you have. My registration is less than 24,000 lbs, but add the 5060 carrying capacity and I exceed the 26,000 lbs. Personally, I would not be comfortable relying on my registration to protect me. Just saying! Craig

Finally completed all State visits in August 2011 with a trip to North Dakota.
Superchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:39 PM   #39

I originally went and got my "R" endorsement right after superchief. Then I figured what the heck and got my CDL-A. I asked my insurance company about a discount, not for the R but yes for the CDL, and they informed me if I had been in an accident without at least the "R" endorsement, it was a possibility I would not have been covered by insurance for driving a vehicle without proper certification. just food for thought, plus it is good to know how the air brake system works.

3rd generation Disabled Veteran, oldest son is 4th Generation Disabled Veteran...its a family tradition.
Scokat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:34 AM   #40
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Scokat, your logic for getting the R endorsement was basically the same as mine. At first I had some reservations about getting it when a client of mine who had a driving school told me it was not mandatory and that it could be detrimental. His logic was that the rules change when you have certain endorsements or special licenses. He used the example of someone with a school bus license has a much lower DWI limit even if they are driving their personal vehicle. I'm not aware of any such downside to the R endorsement and I think it is better to be safe by getting than to be sorry by not getting it. Our airwaves are loaded with the sue happy attorneys who would just love to rip off someone "wealthy" enough to afford a motorhome so why give them any ammunition? CYA is always good advice.