Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2015, 09:57 AM   #21

I forgot about that but was easier but I like the def. I can't smell the diesel at all.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 02:26 PM   #22
2011 Berkshire 390BH-60

First the door awning, now this...

I had a similar issue. The CEL would come on yellow then it would turn red about a minute later if I did not stop then about 60 seconds later if I was still driving then the coach would just turn off.

Come to find out it was the sensor on the antifreeze tank. The sensor is so high when I would go up a hill it thought I was low on antifreeze. I just check that every time before my trip and top it off with distilled water. Never a problem again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
TaterColo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:14 PM   #23

The exact same thing happened to me. The check engine light came on with an extreme loss of power. Very shortly after the display said Stop Engine. Although I was already on my way to Cummins at the time and was less that 6 blocks away at the time, I shut the engine down and called for a tow. After waiting by the side of the road for 6 hours the tow truck finally arrived. It took almost 2 hours move while the two guys tied every trick in the bag to hook the MH up in a fashion where either the front or back end would not get damaged.

Finally we got the unit to Cummins. After unhook in the unit.the Cummins service person proceed to run diagnostics. It turned out to be a DEF issue. Then he proceeded to tell me depending on what was causing the error either they could fix it or it would be a Freightliner issue. At this point I almost came unglued. There was no way in hell that I was going to get this thing towed twice in one day. They finally told me that ... no it was not a Cummins issue since it was the pipe coming out of the DEF tank ... but yes they would fix it although not on warranty.

It was also at this time that the service person let me in on a little secret. I actually could have driven the unit in and not had it towed. Apparently when the check engine Light comes on the computer sets the engine governor at 5 or 10 mph. I could have driven it to their shop without doing any damage.

Unfortunately my frustration did not end there. After replacing the damaged pipe between the tank and engine the took the unit for a drive and the same thing happened. After screwing around for.several more hours I was told that the drop tube inside the tank needed to be replaced also.

Once again I took the unit for a drive and problem happened again. Several more hours and the DEF pump was.replaced.

This whole ordeal started at 8am and I did not get back on the road until almost 2am the next day.

The last kicker to this story was they fact that I was attempting to drive my son down to a football camp in Washington state 17 hours away. The delay meant that I now needed to drive right through the night in order to make the camp.

LESSON NUMBER 1 FOR ALL OF US .... CHECK ENGINE LIGHT WILL CAUSE THE GOVERNOR TO ONLY ALLOW VERY SLOW TRAVEL ... BUT IT IS STILL SAFE TO DRIVE.

TIM
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:44 PM   #24
2011 Berkshire 390BH-60

First the door awning, now this...

As I posted - at least with me the yellow CEL comes on then it turns red then the coach turns itself off.

It must be different on what codes the computer is sending to turn on the CEL.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:07 PM   #25

Tater, I don't have a check engine light. I had a check engine message on the screen on the dash above the steering wheel. I think maybe yours is different?

Tim, it's definitely sounding like its DEF related. So the DEF would be a Freightliner covered warranty issue, not Cummins? Admit I'm not very knowledgeable about this stuff but I am learning. Thanks for relating your experience it sounds exactly like what happened to me.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:16 PM   #26

Oh and if I have to take it to Freightliner it's less than a mile from Cummins so it sounds like I might be able to just drive it over in limp mode. We'll see what Cummins has to say first.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:19 PM   #27
2011 Berkshire 390BH-60

Yes it does sound different from what I have.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:58 AM   #28

Freightliner will not work on RVs in my city.
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:00 AM   #29

Don't you just love it when there is a problem and the different component manufacturers start pointing to each other. I had an issue with my '08 where there was possibility that the fan housing for the radiator fan could possibly come off because it was only secured by 4 bolts (which were slightly too short) and the fan could go through the radiator and shatter causing a great deal of damage to my coach and who knows who else who may be in the area when this thing goes. I called Freightliner and they said that it was not a Freightliner problem even though they put the fan housing on the engine. Also, since it was made by a separate manufacturer and not Freightliner, the warranty was only 1 year (which had passed) and not the 3 year Freightliner warranty. It took a lot of wrangling and getting the chief counsel for Daimler Chrysler involved (they got worried after I detailed what could happen if this let go and sent shrapnel all over the place) but they finally changed it to the 5 bolt housing, like it should have been in the first place.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:42 PM   #30

Here's the update: the Cummins guy called me today. They originally thought it was a DEF problem but it turns out it was a fuse. Yeah, a freakin fuse. Apparently there's an inline fuse from the batteries that blew (I'm guessing when we replaced the chassis batteries) and that apparently puts the coach in low power mode. The closest source for that fuse is Ohio. I'm in KC. So they are going to overnight the fuse and hopefully I will be on the road no later than Monday night. The Cummins guy said none of his guys had ever seen anything like it and they had guys who had been there for 30+ years. Cost of the fuse $25. Just wanted to update everyone and say thanks for all of your help!

Marcusfan
Old 06-04-2015, 07:56 PM   #31

Thanks for the update. Another possible answer we can have if something like this happens to us. Thanks for sharing.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:34 PM   #32

It is possible to find fault codes in the information readout on the Freightliner cluster. Readouts may need to have fault codes deciphered, but if you go to the diagnostics section in the display the codes can be found, making a decision whether to run or not to run easier.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
NV245 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, door