Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2013, 12:39 PM   #1

First timer looking at a Berkshire.

Currently RV with a cedar creek fifth wheel...we are looking to move to a motorhome. Kids are getting older and dont go as much so we do not need the bunks we have in the 5th wheel. Looking at a 2008 Berkshire that is for sale. New to a Class A - any advice you can provide in looking at a used motorhome would be helpful
lyonsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:10 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

If you're planning on covering lots of miles, then deisels are worth looking at for the long run. If not, then don't pass by looking at the Class A gas motorhomes for value. If the living quarters are more of a concern, they sometimes over layouts not found in others.

Welcome to "the other side" of RV-ing.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:45 PM   #3
Learning

The wife and I bought a 2008 Berk 36 in February of 2012. Other than catching up on repairs it has been a strong, solid coach. Pull a 2012 Honda CRV and the entire system seems to work great. First time coach for us too.
Edward972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:10 PM   #4

We've had a 2008 Berkshire for over 18 months and think its fantastic.... Super coach, great fuel economy (10-14 mpg), tons of storage, Freightliner chassis, and great to drive....

You won't be sorry...
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:11 AM   #5
2011 Berkshire 390bh

We are into our second year with our 2011 Berkshire and it has been a great unit. Even though we don't use it a lot we still feel the change from a gasser to the Berkshire was well worth the extra dollars for the comfort and safety of the diesel versus the gasser.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:10 AM   #6

After towing a hybid TT for several years, we finally outgrew our unit and purchased our first of 3 class A MH. The first was a Triple E Gasser with one slide, next we moved to a Fleetwood Discovery with 2 slides DSL pusher and last year we purchsed our first ever new unit a Berk 390-BH60 with four slides.

The move from a TT fo class A was fantastic. The extra space and the flexability around travel wass a real pleasure. The move from gas to dsl was an other step change for the better. Dsl units provide much more power, stability and comforts compared to gas. The increase in the number of slides is the differance between camping in a tunnel an holidaying in luxury.

Berk compared to triple E or Fleetwood....
In my opinion the overall fit and finish of the Berk does not compare to my previous two class A's however the huge differance in price (about $100 less) more than makes up for it. The layout of the Berk suits our family very well. The quality on most of the things that really count is very good. The unit is a pleasure to drive and tows a toad well.

If the floorplan fits you needs ... go for it. You will not be disappointed.

ps
remember .... you will need a vehicle that you can tow behind so that you will not be landlocked at the other end
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyonsden View Post
Currently RV with a cedar creek fifth wheel...we are looking to move to a motorhome. Kids are getting older and dont go as much so we do not need the bunks we have in the 5th wheel. Looking at a 2008 Berkshire that is for sale. New to a Class A - any advice you can provide in looking at a used motorhome would be helpful
Since you already have RV'ed in a fifth-wheel this may not apply to you. But before I stepped up to the "big time" (2011 390RB) I bought a 10 year old gasser to see if I'd really like MH'ing. That was in August of 2010.

Spent two winters in AZ (8 months in '10 6 months in '11). Got home to Colorado last April and we asked ourselves "Why are we here"? It just didn't seem right anymore.

Sold the gasser and bought the Berk and we are now full time. The funny part is that we'll probably spend a good part of our summers back in Colorado.

Sorry for the rambling, but this has all worked out very well for us. Spent 6 months on the Web looking for this Berk. IMHO, I came out a lot better in buying from a private individual off the web. Saved a minimum of $20K by not buying thru a dealer.

The '11 Berk had just enough miles on it to get it from the factory to Salt Lake City. It was previously titled, so most of the warranties are not valid for me, but still basically brand new. A dealer told me I paid less than wholesale for it.

Good luck.

boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:32 PM   #8
Berkshire 390QS

Purchased ours late 2010, retired in late 2011. Our HM is our home 6-8 months of the year. Been to Alaska and now Florida. Really enjoying the warm weather. Colorado gets cold in winter and traveling just to follow the sun is working for us. If you don't plan on traveling long distance might want a gas motorhome, but for us the DP is a smooth ride down the road.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO3putt View Post
Purchased ours late 2010, retired in late 2011. Our HM is our home 6-8 months of the year. Been to Alaska and now Florida. Really enjoying the warm weather. Colorado gets cold in winter and traveling just to follow the sun is working for us. If you don't plan on traveling long distance might want a gas motorhome, but for us the DP is a smooth ride down the road.
"Travelling to follow the sun".... EXACTLY!!!

Don't care for snow and cold either, but CO in summer is STUNNING!!

Basically, the DP's are "top of the heap" which is why I stepped up.

I'm fond of saying to my friends with fifth wheels and MONSTER diesel pickups "if your vehicle doesn't make a whooshing sound when you step on the brakes, you're not running with the big dogs"!!!

Just kidding guys!! No offence intended to any of my fifth wheel or gasser friends reading here!!! 8-)

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:14 PM   #10

Not a lot to add other than to say we are very happy with ours and plan on years of enjoyment in it. Good Luck.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
berkshire