Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2018, 04:50 AM   #21

I added this-
Diesel Fuel Supplement + Cetane Boost

In October- I had 3/4 tank of summer diesel, Added the above and topped of the tank with winter diesel other that that I do not think I would use it mid year, just for storage.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:51 AM   #22

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
When I used biodiesel, my mileage was bad.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:21 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa Jim View Post

yep........

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:34 AM   #24

Quote:
I understand that is true with pure bio but I have not found that to be the case using the B5 or even B20. And, when you factor in the cost of the additives to the price of the diesel it may not be as significant a total cost difference s you might think.

It has also been my experience that no matter what the manufacturer claims for their products, the additives do not significantly increase the MPG
Old 04-18-2018, 12:09 PM   #25

I will probably get blasted for this but here goes. Camp FL isa very good resource for info. Mike Cody does a very good job. That said he tends to say things that are meant by him to be true and taken by most to be gospel. They aren’t necessarily. For example some states allow much more BIoDiesel than others. If you have that fuel and then head to a warm climate you will have issues. A occasional additive is not going to hurt the fuel system or the motor and very well could save you a break down.
zuckerburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 07:59 PM   #26
Old Member

Send a message via Skype™ to mikey
We have a ‘18 Berkshire XL, we ditched the FR spec Freightliner POS Saches shock absorbers.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:17 PM   #27

Quote:
That's the opposite that I've heard from several diesel mechanics. Now what do I do?
Um - listen to the trainers who are sponsored by Freightliner?
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 01:12 PM   #28

Why are people so keen to add a Cetane booster additive?

I'm prepared to be educated on why people are so keen to use a Cetane-boosting additive for diesel fuel, because I can't see the benefit.

Boosting the Cetane results in the fuel burning faster. So, unless your engine is passing unburnt or partially burnt fuel (VOCs or soot) into the exhaust, there is no evidence that fuel isn't being burnt fast enough.

The 2010 emissions regulations regulated soot and NOx emissions. For soot, they have a diesel particulate filter and we get a light on the dash when the filter is being regenerated. I've never seen it come on, and my tailpipe is clean as a whistle.

To handle NOx emissions, the manufacturers (Cummins et al) went to Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) using Diesel Exhaust Fluid. The side benefit of this is that it lets them tune the engines to run leaner, which creates more NOx, but that isn't a problem with the SCR. The leaner burning improves fuel economy (noted by many) and reduces unburned VOCs and soot. So, there is less likelihood of a need to increase the Cetane rating of our fuel.

That's the way I understand things. I'm sure that some people will say I'm a completely uniformed idiot, but they really need to do that by countering my analysis with well-documented facts.

–Gordon
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2579202
Toad: 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4; Formerly: 2005 Acura EL (aka Honda Civic)
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 04:36 PM   #29

I have 3 diesel vehicles at home, a 1 ton truck, a diesel SUV, and a diesel sedan.

The larger engines under load seem to run smoother with higher cetane fuel than lower cetane fuel-cetane obtained with additives.

However, having had to replace a Bosch high pressure fuel pump was no fun at 150k on a previously owned diesel SUV. Poor fuel lubricity is why it didn't last longer.

All of my diesels get a lubricity additive. I personally prefer a splash of 100% biodiesel in my tank but that isn't practical (easy to get). So, I use XPD Opti-lube lubricity additive. It also cleans injectors, helps with water in fuel, and increases fuel storage life.

ULSD fuel does not have sufficient lubricity to meet the requirements of high pressure fuel pump manufacturers. It is a common fact or at least was when I bought my last diesel. Better safe than sorry spending 10,000 to 15,0000 dollars replacing the entire fuel system with a HPFP failes and sends tiny shards of metal into the fuel injectors and back into the fuel tank via the return line.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:37 PM   #30

I thank you all for your responses but I don't know any of this different kind of additive and thing are. I just filled it up at a shell station. The only diesel fuel for miles.
We leave next Wednesday for our first trip only about 200 mile each way. The road is not have a lot of hills. Do any of you use the cruise control.
Like I said D--- I got a lot to learn.
Thank for all y'all help . Bill and Lynn
bcullifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:53 PM   #31

So, real world report, Huntsville AL to Bozeman, MT - right at 1,900 miles. No additives, just regular diesel, speed kept to 63 MPH, according to our Freightliner trip computer, 8.9MPG
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:17 PM   #32

Our round trip from Ontario to Florida and back was just under 3,000 miles and the trip computer recorded 10.7. I still have to check against the fuel purchased and miles and a little for the generator but a quick check tells me its not too far off fo I am quite pleased
Old 05-02-2018, 04:31 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcullifer View Post
I thank you all for your responses but I don't know any of this different kind of additive and thing are. I just filled it up at a shell station. The only diesel fuel for miles.
We leave next Wednesday for our first trip only about 200 mile each way. The road is not have a lot of hills. Do any of you use the cruise control.
Like I said D--- I got a lot to learn.
Thank for all y'all help . Bill and Lynn
I use the cruse control when traffic is light. I find it slows me down (I have a heavy foot)
Old 05-02-2018, 07:05 AM   #34

I use cruise a lot and when safe to do so - enjoy the journey. I usually set it at 60-62 as I flat tow a Honda CRV and max speed it can be flat towed is 65mph otherwise it could damage the car transmission
Old 05-02-2018, 09:26 AM   #35

I always use the Cruze. It works better when not on “Econ” mode but I down shift to keep a more steady speed on hills. We full time so we are probably heavy. We always have full water so probably to heavy. I set the Cruze at 64 and it does a good job. On a overpass I lose a couple of MPH but not bad. I shift while cruse is set.
zuckerburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:28 PM   #36

Hi I do not know how to work the switch to be able to zero out mileage. So I can check to see anything. My MH came with NO manuals. I have been trying to get it to change but had NO luck. Any help would be great. Thanks Bill
Old 05-23-2018, 09:53 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcullifer View Post
Hi I do not know how to work the switch to be able to zero out mileage. So I can check to see anything. My MH came with NO manuals. I have been trying to get it to change but had NO luck. Any help would be great. Thanks Bill
These instructions may help, I had no clue how to change any of the setting in the LBCU, a fellow Berkie wrote these
Attached Files
File Type: pdf LBCU Explained.pdf (227.9 KB, 51 views)
File Type: pdf LBCU%20Steup.pdf (550.1 KB, 74 views)
Old 05-24-2018, 06:38 AM   #38

Thank you so Much.Bill
Old 05-24-2018, 07:37 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royston View Post
These instructions may help, I had no clue how to change any of the setting in the LBCU, a fellow Berkie wrote these
Thank you so much! You’ve unlocked one of the true mysteries of my new 2018 Berk. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve worked with this to try to figure it out. Correct me if I’m wrong, but for what may be safety reasons, most of these seem inaccessible once I start to drive.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:31 AM   #40
BobbyJ

Don't forget to look into Safe-T-Plus. Best money you will ever spend on a moho.

BobbyJ
State College PA
2018 Berk XL 40C
Bobbyj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel