Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2016, 05:26 PM   #1

Fixing annoying side- and backup-camera behaviour

I have a Magnadyne M4-LCD Stereo Receiver with GPS and cameras. I must say that in today's world of great industrial design from companies like Apple and Nest, this receiver has an embarrassingly poor industrial design. Very hard to use, and certain to cause distracted driving if a driver tries to use it.

But, I have fixed two of its annoying problems by installing three switches.

Here are the problems:
1. Putting on a left or right turn signal replaces the display and sound from the current display (particularly GPS) with the left or right camera view. The picture quality is so poor that I don't find it offering me any more detail than I get from the mirrors. And, when I am turning, the GPS is often calling out some important route instructions that I miss just because my turn signal is on.

2. When I am driving, I sometimes want to have a quick check of my Toad with the rear camera, but getting to the interface for the camera while driving takes way too much attention. It results in seriously distracted driving.

The solution comes from studying Page 58 of the manual, which I attach. I cut the White, Gray and Green trigger wires, which can be identified as they connect to the 13 pin harness. Don't cut the camera wires, which also connect to the same harness through White, Gray and Green connectors. The wires to cut are connected in with a simple crimp connection.

Then, put a switch on each of these wires that takes power from the +12v Red or Yellow wire shown on Page 55 (also attached). The switches now power the triggers. So you just have to flip the switches to see the Left, Right or Backup camera. The turn signal and transmission selector no longer affect them.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Trigger Wires.pdf (57.7 KB, 88 views)
File Type: pdf Red and Yellow Power wires.pdf (36.5 KB, 68 views)
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2579202
Toad: 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4; Formerly: 2005 Acura EL (aka Honda Civic)
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:27 PM   #2

All you have to do is tap the button on the screen for left right or rear. I don't see the problem you are trying fix?
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by accumack View Post
All you have to do is tap the button on the screen for left right or rear. I don't see the problem you are trying fix?
I normally am looking at the GPS. I have to switch back to Home. Then, switch to the Camera and then select the camera. None of these selections are tactile, so I have to look at the screen to do them.

And, of course, the turn signal brings the camera in, just when I want navigation instructions. The attached file shows my switches, to the left of the Mzgnadyne. They are tactile.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camera Switches.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	340.4 KB
ID:	116524  
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2579202
Toad: 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4; Formerly: 2005 Acura EL (aka Honda Civic)
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote