Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
2011 Berkshire 390BH-60

Fleetwood discovery 40G

We are coming back from San Diego CA where he bought 2010 with only 4100 miles on the clock. My impressions as I sit on the couch while going over vail pass.

The leather feels a bit better than the Berk. I really like the u-shaped dinette that doubles as a bed. However the cushion that sits on the table moves on you during the night so I had to keep pushing it back in place. I like the big tv above the drivers head. There is also a tv in the kitchen and bedroom as well as outside. The master bed seems bigger. It also has a residential fridge but it will not run on propane.

What I don't like is when the slides are in you have to walk through the bathroom to get to the bunks. If someone is I'm the bathroom you just have to wait.

The woodwork I think is a bit better in the Berk. The discovery also comes with color backup cameras!

If I had my choice I'd stick with the Berk. I like the drivers console better and I like the layout better even tho the discovery has the super slide. And I'm not saying that because I own a Berk.

Just my 2 cents.

Todd.
TaterColo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:35 AM   #2
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Todd, I think you'd find that the Fleetwood is a lot more $$$ than the Berk. Also there are some that are not thrilled with the Navistar engines in the Fleetwood. The Navistar uses the exhaust regeneration which runs the exhaust back through the engine where the Cummins uses the DEF to achieve the emissions requirements.

On the other side of the coin, the new Fleetwood/American Coach seems to have really gotten their act together in terms of customer service. Is it worth the extra $$? I'm not so sure about that as my experience with Forest River and RVDirect have been completely positive.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:34 PM   #3

You traded a 2011 Berkshire for a 2010 Fleetwood. What was your motivation? How was the fuel economy in the Fleetwood? I just noticed the "he". It must be a friend that bought the Fleetwood?
kingwood390bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:11 PM   #4
2011 Berkshire 390BH-60

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwood390bh
You traded a 2011 Berkshire for a 2010 Fleetwood. What was your motivation? How was the fuel economy in the Fleetwood? I just noticed the "he". It must be a friend that bought the Fleetwood?
A good friend of mine purchased it. I just went along for the ride and the stop in Vegas! We averaged between 7.9 and 8.3 mpg. That was doing 70 to 75 most the way towing a 5x9 uhaul Trailor carrying a Yamaha Rhino UTV I bought just north of San Diego. There was a test area in Utah for about 25 to 30 miles that had a posted speed limit of 80! How cool is that!
Old 05-11-2012, 11:17 PM   #5
2011 Berkshire 390BH-60

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman
Todd, I think you'd find that the Fleetwood is a lot more $$$ than the Berk. Also there are some that are not thrilled with the Navistar engines in the Fleetwood. The Navistar uses the exhaust regeneration which runs the exhaust back through the engine where the Cummins uses the DEF to achieve the emissions requirements.

On the other side of the coin, the new Fleetwood/American Coach seems to have really gotten their act together in terms of customer service. Is it worth the extra $$? I'm not so sure about that as my experience with Forest River and RVDirect have been completely positive.
He picked this up for $145k. Not a bad deal in my mind for a 2010 coach with roughly 4100 miles on it. As for the DEF vs. exhaust regeneration I'm not sure which is better. If you look at gas milage I'm getting 9-10 vs. the discovery that got 7.9-8.3 on this trip. His discovery has the 350hp. My Berk has the 360hp. Seems like the DEF may help with gas milage. All I know is I can beat him up the hill and pass him at the gas station! :-)
Old 05-12-2012, 03:18 PM   #6
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaterColo View Post
He picked this up for $145k. Not a bad deal in my mind for a 2010 coach with roughly 4100 miles on it. As for the DEF vs. exhaust regeneration I'm not sure which is better. If you look at gas milage I'm getting 9-10 vs. the discovery that got 7.9-8.3 on this trip. His discovery has the 350hp. My Berk has the 360hp. Seems like the DEF may help with gas milage. All I know is I can beat him up the hill and pass him at the gas station! :-)
Todd, that seems like a good price for a three year old coach with an original MSRP around $250k, particularly when it has very low mileage.

Most of the concerns with the Navistar engine has to do with the exhaust being run back through the engine. Mechanics tell me that it dramatically shortens the engine life. That's what I'm told, although I should add that diesel engines are about as far removed from my area of expertise as anything could be. I'm a tax guy, not an engine guy so I rely on what those who are supposed to be experts tell me.

Ed
Old 05-12-2012, 10:29 PM   #7

Fleetwood uses Cummins in a Spartan chassis for that year, not a Navistar. You might be thinking the new Monaco's. The 350hp is the same motor as the 360 minus the DEF
2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:05 AM   #8
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Thanks Ron. My mistake as his 2010 is probably on a 2009 chassis. The new DEF and exhaust regeneration came in after 1-01-10.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:39 AM   #9

I talked with the gut selling the 40G. He was ready to send it to a used RV lot in El Cajon when I talked with him. I bought a 2011 390 BH for much less with even less miles. The 40G was a good deal. I looked at the Fleetwoods at the dealer and had lock on a new 2011 Lot Rot unit for 175k NEW here in so cal and passed. I did however really liked the u shaped dinette.

I'm very happy with the berk and the DASH IMO is by far the best lay out.
chmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:55 PM   #10
2011 Berkshire 390BH-60

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmx
I talked with the gut selling the 40G. He was ready to send it to a used RV lot in El Cajon when I talked with him. I bought a 2011 390 BH for much less with even less miles. The 40G was a good deal. I looked at the Fleetwoods at the dealer and had lock on a new 2011 Lot Rot unit for 175k NEW here in so cal and passed. I did however really liked the u shaped dinette.

I'm very happy with the berk and the DASH IMO is by far the best lay out.
My friend bought the one your talking about.